PDA

View Full Version : jamison creek wolves!

bigmuley
10-05-2013, 01:44 PM
So ive been hearing from tons of people in the Kamloops area that the wolves are getting really bad but I have yet to see one other then when I was a child with my dad and it was just a single wolf up skull mountain out near Barriere. Bumping into other hunters this year almost everyone has something to say about wolves or that they have been seeing less game then last year. anybody else seeing this in the Kamloops area? Also ive heard the wolfs in little fort pushing up highway 24 lone bute area are horrible.

This morning I was up the Jamison and we weren't into high elevation at all and saw a nice buck in a cut block way off from the ridge we were sitting on, we watched him for about half a hour he was calm eating, then boom took off out of sight. We were puzzled as why he took off, bigger buck maybe? never thought in my wildest dreams a big black wolf would pop out of the treeline. Me and my buddy discussed if we should end deer hunting and see if we could get the wolf to come in. We decided to try and call in the wolf. I let out a howl which most likely sounded nothing like a wolf howl.....and nothing to no surprise. The wolf had disappeared by this time and had no interest in the howl I let out. So I said to buddy ill try one more time and hit a jack rabbit call I had in my pack.....so I let out a howl and screamed on the jackrabbit call....within seconds there was barking and howling no more then 300 yards into the treeline at the bottom of the ridge that we were sitting on. I couldn't believe it, so I kept hammering the jack rabbit call seeing if we could get them to come out of the trees. They came in so close with there howling, and barking. we figured they were right on the tree line. Then bam a howl on our right side couldn't of been more then a hundred yards away. right away we both stood up and decided to walk back to the truck, Hair standing up on the back of our necks...we made it back to the truck without running into the wolves...Not sure if they were starting to surround where we were? but it scared me like no other. We distinctly heard ifve wolf calls all in different parts of the cut very close together so we assumed there were at least five and the big black one. Has anyone else seen a large pack of wolves in the Jamison creek area in Kamloops this year?

ru rancher
10-05-2013, 01:53 PM
good story i love hunting wolves in the winter one of the funnest hunts in my mind if you are interested in hunting them i recomend getting the howl down no wolf will resist the temptation to come and chase this strange wolf off there territory i have found it works the best but i do agree those howls when there close make the hair stand on your neck i howled in 5 wolves in decently thick brush alone and was able to shot one of them at 60 yards in one of the only shooting lanes i had in the bush but ya there howls and wines as they answered me and as they where stalking in to come chase what they thought was a tresspassing wolf was something else sure know at that point your not the "king of the jungle" for say

Sofa King
10-05-2013, 01:57 PM
why'd you guys run?
why didn't you take a couple?

ru rancher
10-05-2013, 01:59 PM
my thoughts too there where 2 of you there thats a safe group in my mind probably both had guns deffinatly shouldve tryed to shot some haha next time i guess

Sofa King
10-05-2013, 02:01 PM
plus, wolves don't attack people.
should have at least tried to get a shot or two away.

bigmuley
10-05-2013, 02:25 PM
just first experience with wolfs. there super smart wasn't sure if something could of been coming in from our tail and circled around. know exactly where they are so planning to go back asap

Sleep Robber
10-05-2013, 02:36 PM

Google wolf attacks on humans, you might want to change your way of thinking, just sayin.

BlacktailStalker
10-05-2013, 02:43 PM
You'll be lucky to ever get that scenario to play out again, too bad you didn't capitalize on it.

Mishka
10-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Good story. I can see how it would raise the hair on the back of your neck. It's that primal instinct kicking in. Awesome.

dana
10-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Last year my timing was off by a few seconds and I had a big black one cross just behind my work truck as I was waiting for a loaded logging truck on Jamison. He's been in there for at least a few years now. Big big track on him. A couple winters ago I was seeing his tracks almost daily but never seen him standing in them.

Brian011
10-05-2013, 03:14 PM
I saw 2 around 30k on the lac du bois rd on the first morning of the hunting season, they were within 30 yrds and I should have shot them but they kind of caught me off guard and I ended up not shooting. Was the first wolves I had ever seen.

Singleshotneeded
10-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Damn, six wolves...you need a semi auto for that kind of action! :-)

Jagermeister
10-05-2013, 03:42 PM
should have at least tried to get a shot or two away.That's a bit of a misconception. There have been recent attacks on humans by wolves. Most times they will avoid, but who knows contrary?
One should always be wary, even when you do not not detect their presence.
A few years back, some guys were camping at Kenny Lake, the one south of 16 Mile Lake off the Barkerville Hwy. One of the guys was sleeping in his bag out in the open near the fire. He awoke to a wolf gnawing on his leg through the bag. His screams woke the others whose commotion drove it off. Now this anecdote is not intended to put the fear of the wolf into anyone but rather to make aware that they don't necessarily bolt for parts unknown when they encounter humans. They are opportunistic and will kill solely for their own pleasure.
Now, back to the original post. A few years ago, the trapper a short distance to the south in the Watching Creek area took out a few with snare sets.
I think that you boys bolted too soon. It looked like an opportunity to smack one or two was in the offing. I know that close encounter wolf howling can un-nerve a person, but remember, you have the gun and there were two of you. Try to shoot the Alpha (usually the one infront), the others will be confused since they follow the Alpha lead.
We tend to think that they are really smart, but they are very wary of their surroundings and that gives the smart preception. Chances are usually scant, but with the increase in their population, oppotunitities increase.
Next time eh?

Sofa King
10-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Google wolf attacks on humans, you might want to change your way of thinking, just sayin.

not saying they never do.
just that much more than 9.9/10 times they will run.
it's more their instinct to run than it was the op's.

Rackem
10-05-2013, 03:55 PM

Funny wasn't that kid who was making out with his girlfriend at 3am in Bible camp attacked by a wolf???

Sofa King
10-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Funny wasn't that kid who was making out with his girlfriend at 3am in Bible camp attacked by a wolf???

made up, it was just her getting overly aggressive, it being her first time and all.

Rackem
10-05-2013, 03:58 PM
I agree that if you are aggressive to them, generally they take off.
I have thrown rocks at a pack before and they retreated, but if you are sleeping, making out with your girlfriend, or somehow not paying attention, it seems they will take advantage and give it a shot, hoping you are soft and easy...you have to teach them that you are NOT.

Husky7mm
10-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Why didn't you stay and keep calling , you may have got a chance at one or two?

Big Lew
10-05-2013, 04:07 PM
My wife and I were camped at Latremouille Lake last September and had a very noisy pack serenade us during the night. We also had them howl nearby when we were north of Bridge Lake and when we were camping near Akehurst Lake, all during the same week. Either they travel tremendous distances, or there are a few packs in that general area.

Jelvis
10-05-2013, 04:51 PM
biggestmuley what K were you at lol I don't want to be in there?
You cood save many,what K so we don't get ripped apart?

Lillypuff
10-05-2013, 05:29 PM
I have heard them lots in may up at pass lake, lac du bois

Jelvis
10-05-2013, 06:16 PM
I couldn't tell a wolf from a husky german cross. Kamloops has a lot of hikers with big dogs that look like wolves.
I just couldn't take a chance unless the wolf came right up and said, "Hey man, I am an alphamale wolf, you gotta a problem wit dat punk?" "Well do yah huh?" "What's wrong wit chew boy?" Hey A hole, I'm 100% wild wolf and you got a problem wit dat right?" "Are you going to shoot or not?

hunter5
10-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Never pass up a chance to kill a wolf, or two, or ten.

CaribooBC
10-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Quite a few in the South Cariboo, north side of Horse Lake has quite a few. Probably some that have interbred with domestic dogs as well. From reports so far, the deer population is down this year in that area. Also there has been a pack west of Lone Butte, south of Hwy #24 for the last couple of years.

Jelvis
10-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Coydogs are the most blood thirsty animal going in Canada.
A coyote mixed with domestic dogs can kill for blood and walk away.
Imagine a coyote mixed with pitbull or rotty or german sheperd.

#1fishslayer
10-05-2013, 11:04 PM
My buddy saw 3 today laying in the middle of the road. Came around a corner on his quad and there they were....and then they were not. Said they move really quick. Tracks everywhere...... this was up Seymore arm.

Grousedaddy
10-06-2013, 08:35 AM
See. The big black one last season up jamieson but he ran past the truck so fast i couldnt even think about shooting.. I hunted jamieson once this year as that place is a gong show with hundreds of road hunters an seen a big cow moose and a few deer but also lots of wolf track, km sure a dedicated wolf hunter could do great up there