PDA

View Full Version : Grouse Hunting Tactics

bcfirefly
10-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Just curious as to what your style of grouse hunting is ... opportunistic road hunting while looking for big game or dedicated slow walking along an old grassy logging road with the .410 and pooch seeking them out. As well, if you are only after grouse, what type of habitat do you find the most numbers?
Most of my luck has been driving while looking for firewood but the odd time i'm out walking the dog in the back 40 i flush out one or two for the 20gauge to get.
just interested to hear what you have to say...

Foxton Gundogs
10-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Although I will take a grouse with the 22lr in big game camp whenever the chance arises, The only way I actually hunt grouse is over the dogs wing shooting with a shotgun. IMO it's the only way there is.

1/2 slam
10-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Although I will take a grouse with the 22lr in big game camp whenever the chance arises, The only way I actually hunt grouse is over the dogs wing shooting with a shotgun. IMO it's the only way there is.

I completely agree

itsy bitsy xj
10-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Not that I've done alot of it but I've taken them while driving the gravel roads looking for deer.

bogtrotter
10-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Only over a dog with my 12 or 28 gauge sxs. My days of driving around and ground sluicing are long over - I get car sick bouncing along the trails ! However, I did just put a nice Leupold VX-1 on my Sako .22 so I may try some head shots soon.

hare_assassin
10-07-2013, 11:47 AM
I always have my .22 (now a magnum, actually) handy when on the trail bike, whether on an FSR, or the trails. Head/neck shots only. My dog hates guns.

I use this method whether I am looking for big game or specifically out for grouse.

I've tried the shotgun, but it is too hard on my ears and I don't like eating shot.

BRvalley
10-07-2013, 12:07 PM
I have a chocolate lab, work in progress....he knows we want to find the birds but spooks most of them, so I use the 17hmr and 20 guage about 70/30, about 15 birds so far in the past few weeks, been a good fall for them in 7b

I enjoy the pinpoint accuracy of 100 yd head and neck shots, but the few times the dog has worked nicely it is sure is a great pleasure to wing shoot them....I use #4, the target shot is too annoying to deal with if you clip the breasts

I won't hesitate to take an easy one on the road, but that seldom happens...we walk trails through the woods and older logging roads, each outing is good for 2-5 birds, not bad for a few hours