PDA

View Full Version : First Nations planned ban on South Chilcotin LEH moose hunt

Pages : [1] 2

madcap26
10-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Ministry of Forests to meet with First Nations over planned ban South Chilcotin LEH moose hunt

Published: October 03, 2013 6:00 PM
Updated: October 04, 2013 9:14 AM
The Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations said further details will be available later today, after a scheduled meeting with the Yunesit'in Band Council Friday morning.
Original story:
Members of the Yunesit'in Band Council have declared a ban on the remaining limited entry moose hunt in the South Chilcotin, effective Friday, Oct. 4.
"The band council has prepared moose monitors at each bridge periodically that which will affect areas M.U. 5-03, 5-04, 5-05. Affected communities may follow suit," the band said in a press release issued Thursday evening.
Moose monitors will enforce the band by turning away all ATVs and similar off-road vehicles.
First Nations hunters will be advised to take only bull moose and no more than one moose will be allowed. LEH hunters will be turned away and informational pamphlets will be handed out to local residents and others.
“There are larger issues with respect to the reasons for the moose decline, such as damage to the ecosystem," Yunesit'in Chief Russell Myers Ross told the Tribune Advisor Thursday evening.
"However, there are immediate conservation needs," he said. "We do not feel like the Province is taking us or this issue seriously. It will take decades for the moose to recover to the state they were a few years ago.”
First Nations are not afraid of asserting their Aboriginal right to hunt, and "sometimes this means protecting that right in ways we feel justified, Tl'esqox (Toosey) Chief Francis Laceese stated in the press release.
The Yunesit’in Council sent a letter to the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Resource Operations, on March 26, 2013, requesting a chance to meet and provide recommendations, Myers Ross said.
"It's my impression that we tried to reach out quite early on so that we would be part of the process, and we didn't get the courtesy of a response at all," he said. "I guess they figured it would be under the Tsilhqot'in National Government umbrella, but we felt they should be giving us the courtesy of a response by phone or anything."
The communities have made a number of recommendations to the government for a number of years, but don't feel they've had a voice, Myers Ross said.

Quince
10-04-2013, 10:07 AM
If fn was truly in support they would take no moose for themselves.

Abashai
10-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Might not turn you away if you were "wolf hunting". It is also frustrating that the "Aboriginal right to hunt" is somehow superior to my right to hunt. That said I think it is encouraging that they at least say they are self regulating themselves.

ru rancher
10-04-2013, 10:59 AM
It is very encouraging that they say they will regulate themselves by only taking one bull I'd prefure one bull per family but it is a start turning away non first nation hunters is not the way to acomplish this though but self regulating on there part and maybe a drop in the LEHa released in these areas may be in order

Grousedaddy
10-04-2013, 11:20 AM
How old is Canada 140 years didnt google to get exact number but the FN have bben on this continent for well over 140 years so ya they are entitled to hunt there lands imo, go blame your government for the rules they set out on hunting. Every single year there seems to be an oppertunity to bash or argue why fn get what they get on this site u may as well start its own sticky or something....

adriaticum
10-04-2013, 11:23 AM
This is all part of their agenda for self government.
Testing the government's resolve.
They wouldn't stop me.

PointMan
10-04-2013, 11:41 AM
How old is Canada 140 years didnt google to get exact number but the FN have bben on this continent for well over 140 years so ya they are entitled to hunt there lands imo, go blame your government for the rules they set out on hunting. Every single year there seems to be an oppertunity to bash or argue why fn get what they get on this site u may as well start its own sticky or something....
Sorry, but your argument doesn't fly with me. First of all, I didn't see anyone bashing FN in this thread, second of all, non-First Nations were using pretty similar hunting practises when they started hunting here long before Canada became a country. So based on that logic, your logic, we all should have the same hunting rights. Yes, the First Nations were here first, but most of their tribes were nomadic and/or warring tribes, so borders were either fluid or nonexistent. Their claim to the country isn't eternal, just like it wasn't then.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-04-2013, 11:46 AM
"Moose monitors will enforce the band by turning away all ATVs and similar off-road vehicles."

What about bear, deer, grouse and wolf hunters???

SSS

r106
10-04-2013, 11:49 AM
oh no someone said first nation they must be racist.

10-04-2013, 11:50 AM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e105/falcs00/ForumPics/bth_Inbeforelock.jpg

adriaticum
10-04-2013, 11:59 AM

I think this post says it all in terms of how much respect some FNs have for the laws of this country.

moosezilla
10-04-2013, 12:06 PM
sounds like the fox guarding the hen house to me.......

BuckNaked
10-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Just another example of how our modern governments allow the minority to affect/control the majority.

ryanb
10-04-2013, 12:24 PM
And the meek shall inherit the earth...or whatever is left of it.

bridger
10-04-2013, 12:27 PM
They need to define self regulating.LOL

adriaticum
10-04-2013, 12:29 PM
They need to define self regulating.LOL

Let me define it for you.
They have a government and land/property they can do what they want with.
We pay for it. :wink:

sawmill
10-04-2013, 12:30 PM
I work,pay taxes,buy a hunting licsence and tags.Law says I can hunt,I hunt.Period.
That`s all I have to say about that.

r106
10-04-2013, 12:34 PM
sounds like the fox guarding the hen house to me.......

That's exactly right in my mind.

Just like frsaer salmon stocks, if there is a problem EVERYONE needs to stop/or restrict harvesting. The LEH does exactly that. Yet we keep hearing about natives and white poachers harvesting cows and know one knows how many

Sleep Robber
10-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Same shit different pile.:rolleyes:

mots
10-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Sigh.............. Every year, every trip........... I dont even have a moose draw!

ravensfoot
10-04-2013, 01:51 PM
This is exactly how the "Stewards of the land" will save the moose population. Clearly they are doing a great job of it in the Capalino Area with the Cohos.
http://youtu.be/iuseR1aYsDc (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FiuseR1aYsDc&h=JAQHo9HVgAQHvq1a7slxjvPwiPLB9eX4BxLzpvKLATTcuMw&s=1)

"First Nations hunters will be advised to take only bull moose and no more than one moose will be allowed." - How will this be monitored? From within? What a friggin Joke.

"First Nations are not afraid of asserting their Aboriginal right to hunt, and "sometimes this means protecting that right in ways we feel justified," - Chief Francis Laceese

Chief Francis, Nice to see you are aggressively blocking non-aboriginals from hunting "Crown Land" when only a week ago you gladly accept the non-aboriginal handouts for your new health centre. ""Toosey gets new health centre"http://www.wltribune.com/news/226055831.html

I say we halt the new health centre until the issue gets resolved with the Band.

Darksith
10-04-2013, 02:05 PM
they are only gonna block 4x4's and atv's? So if I go hunting in my sedan then I'll get through? then my buddy will come with no guns behind me...

dougan
10-04-2013, 02:43 PM
If they try to stop u a simple what part of Fu-- off will work just fine .a$$ holes

swamper
10-04-2013, 02:48 PM
This whole thing is a crock of shit. People pay for their LEH applications, wait and hope to get a draw, and when they do, they are told by a minority that they are not allowed to exercise their right to that hunt. And the government goes along with this. Lets all just bend over and take it again

ru rancher
10-04-2013, 03:41 PM
there is a problem out in the chilcotin the moose numbers are down this is why there are LEHs white people have the right if they get drawn to hunt for these moose this is not a problem on the moose stocks the problem is when the first nations will go out and kill cow moose with calves or any moose in site i have a couple storys one of when my brother was out hunting for moose out in that area he heard a gun shot so he went to investigate and found two first nation men gutting out a cow moose so whatever this is fine until he asked the story they told him they saw the cow out in the medow so quickly jumped out and shot it as the cow hit the ground the calf ran out from behind it and ran into the bush and they said to my brother that "oh well thats what my status card gives me the right to do" idk about you guys but thats not okay with me if you have an attitude like that such disrespect to the animals i dont care if your first nation or not you should not be out there hunting these animals the other story was from two COs we saw out there they told us they had just come from big creek area where there was a group of i belive 5 first nation men that went out to a meadow early in the morning and as light broke there where 7 moose out in the meadow and they shot every one of them this is not a sustainable harvest technique and i do not understand how they figure they can carry on doing this and expect the moose numbers to stay stable so moral of the story it is not the fault of the LEH hunters that the moose numbers are on the decline!

remington666
10-04-2013, 04:13 PM
you are right on the money ru rancher ,i heard the same story from the co;s about the seven moose i was also told first hand by an alexis creek native that he does all his hunting at night with a spot light ,how is that hunting ?i came very close to knocking him out when some of the local ranchers jumped in and sent him on his way .i am going up into 5-03 and 5-04b late october for deer,grouse and wolf and unless its the police or the c.o. i am not stopping for anyone especially a bunch of poaching hypocrites .

Rackem
10-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Sadly I have seen some pretty grim waste and indiscriminate hunting practices out here:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/ArthurTopham/NemiahVlyNoticesm.jpg

Cows and calves hanging, some of them starting to rot...I felt very upset when I saw that...

Argali
10-04-2013, 05:38 PM
I would think the FN legal claim to traditional moose hunting in the South Chilcotin is weakened by the fact that moose did not exist in the area until well after confederation. Moose migrated south into the Chilcotin less than 80 years ago following massive burning and clearing by early pioneers.

Glassman
10-04-2013, 05:44 PM
If indian can block white man from going on his land, can white man block indian from going on white man land? We are all supposed to be equal but it seems that indians are MORE equal than white man.

gutpile
10-04-2013, 07:04 PM
The Indians will be dealing with the asians soon enough ,the white man will be a minority soon !
will see how things go then.

mad dog
10-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Yah isn't that nice of them to only take ONE bull per person on a year when they claim moose populations are so bad. But for the rest of us whites we can wait YEARS for the chance at getting one bull. I'm so tired of this indain bs I wish equal rights actually meant equal rights!!!

brutus
10-04-2013, 07:27 PM
terorism period,i wish the authority would deal with it acordingly.something bad is going to happen because of this bs one day.I witness the same bullshit in quebec for different reasons but people ended up dying because of it.

bandit
10-04-2013, 07:32 PM
I would think the FN legal claim to traditional moose hunting in the South Chilcotin is weakened by the fact that moose did not exist in the area until well after confederation. Moose migrated south into the Chilcotin less than 80 years ago following massive burning and clearing by early pioneers.

Unfortunately the current law and treaties / agreements from 150 yrs ago were neither species specific nor method specific. So suggesting FN should only be allowed to hunt deer and solely with a spear carries no weight in the eyes of the law.

But equally there is nothing in the eyes of the law that allows them to restrict law abiding hunters from licensed harvest under the Wildlife Act whilst retaining their own right to hunt. Only the Crown can make that determination.

IMO they would gain an insane amount of credibility if they themselves stopped hunting all together and allowed the COs to verify that they haven't harvested anything. But I'm not holding my breath.

Jelvis
10-04-2013, 07:44 PM
I wood like to say to all the wonderful members on this superior huntingbc site that we have fn hunters who are proud members with huntingbc.
They luv hunting as much as you do and use fair chase like you do.
They have husbands and wives and sons and daughters who hunt also like many others, they hunt because they enjoy it and the venison meat.
These people are not anything like the people you are describing about who massacre every animal in sight. Just sayin.
.. we are all individuals and are responsible for our actions we are not all the same
Karma will deal with anyones unpaid past mistakes who dint respect the Creation.
Who dint correct their mistakes and kept on making them to rebel will pay the Piper imho
jeldo

Pemby_mess
10-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks Jelvis - was getting pretty nauseous reading all of the bigotry.

Legalities and politics aside, I think if you were to approach one of these "moose monitors" with a sense of humour and some humility you would find some common ground and would probably be left alone. Despite the "anecdotal evidence" towards the contrary, if you look, I think you'll find many good, genuinely and intensely, concerned FN out there that are trying to exercise some degree of prudence and control over their traditional territory.

Just Becuase it's legal, doesn't make it the right thing to do. The people who live in the area are probably the best authorities as to what is sustainable or not.

I have to say, there is a lot of empathy coming from my end on this. We are incredibly blessed with privilege and opportunity in this country. When I go get my morning coffee and see the gas station jammed paxked with lifted trucks, quads, and rvs full of camo'd folks that obviously haven't been in the country very long, I get a little nervous. That feeling comes from knowing what I have and knowing they come from a place with less.

When those folks inevitably run things, what adherence to my "rights" are they going to heed?

leadpillproductions
10-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Sorry but why should we feel sorry for us having better fortune than them, they have just as much or more of a opertunity than a lot of us. I don't have a issue with fn hunting but they also need to have regulations just like all of us. I know a lot of fn in the chilcotin that is a heck of a lot better off than me ,and they live on these reservations . Every year its the same thing they want to stop hunting , we are not the problem shooting moose all year long is , how about killing a pregnant cow that's just wrong but they do it all the time .
Thanks Jelvis - was getting pretty nauseous reading all of the bigotry.

Legalities and politics aside, I think if you were to approach one of these "moose monitors" with a sense of humour and some humility you would find some common ground and would probably be left alone. Despite the "anecdotal evidence" towards the contrary, if you look, I think you'll find many good, genuinely and intensely, concerned FN out there that are trying to exercise some degree of prudence and control over their traditional territory.

Just Becuase it's legal, doesn't make it the right thing to do. The people who live in the area are probably the best authorities as to what is sustainable or not.

I have to say, there is a lot of empathy coming from my end on this. We are incredibly blessed with privilege and opportunity in this country. When I go get my morning coffee and see the gas station jammed paxked with lifted trucks, quads, and rvs full of camo'd folks that obviously haven't been in the country very long, I get a little nervous. That feeling comes from knowing what I have and knowing they come from a place with less.

When those folks inevitably run things, what adherence to my "rights" are they going to heed?

moosinaround
10-04-2013, 08:29 PM
One set of rules for every Canadian, British Columbian, local. How hard is that? Very easy to police then, no special rights or privaledges for anyone. Level playing field for all. Moosin

139grainsofhell
10-04-2013, 08:45 PM
I wonder if every hunter in the province banned together and didn't buy leh or hunting liscence's and went cold turkey with a big fu to the gov??? All that money they would lose and then who would the fn and gov blame when everything disappears and we weren't the cause....

leadpillproductions
10-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Id so be into to that
I wonder if every hunter in the province banned together and didn't buy leh or hunting liscence's and went cold turkey with a big fu to the gov??? All that money they would lose and then who would the fn and gov blame when everything disappears and we weren't the cause....

moosinaround
10-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Could you F#$ckin imagine what HBC would be like if we all did that?? We would self implode in mere months with no hunting what so ever!!!Moosin

Jelvis
10-04-2013, 08:59 PM
You feel frustrated because you can't control or have any power to change things?

srthomas75
10-04-2013, 09:06 PM
there is a problem out in the chilcotin the moose numbers are down this is why there are LEHs white people have the right if they get drawn to hunt for these moose this is not a problem on the moose stocks the problem is when the first nations will go out and kill cow moose with calves or any moose in site i have a couple storys one of when my brother was out hunting for moose out in that area he heard a gun shot so he went to investigate and found two first nation men gutting out a cow moose so whatever this is fine until he asked the story they told him they saw the cow out in the medow so quickly jumped out and shot it as the cow hit the ground the calf ran out from behind it and ran into the bush and they said to my brother that "oh well thats what my status card gives me the right to do" idk about you guys but thats not okay with me if you have an attitude like that such disrespect to the animals i dont care if your first nation or not you should not be out there hunting these animals the other story was from two COs we saw out there they told us they had just come from big creek area where there was a group of i belive 5 first nation men that went out to a meadow early in the morning and as light broke there where 7 moose out in the meadow and they shot every one of them this is not a sustainable harvest technique and i do not understand how they figure they can carry on doing this and expect the moose numbers to stay stable so moral of the story it is not the fault of the LEH hunters that the moose numbers are on the decline!

punctuation, it's the way of the future.

Bugle master
10-04-2013, 09:14 PM
First Nation stands for Rape and pillage the land! They have no concept of conservation and how to take care of the land and animals that live on it. If white man hadn't shown up they would have nothing left!
They get everything given to them and still its not enough. Take take take take take. I'm sick of it!
If they want to be treated like First Nation people then go live off the grid in some hut made of sticks, leave your guns and pit lights behind and live off the land like you did before white man came along.

Pemby_mess
10-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Sorry but why should we feel sorry for us having better fortune than them, they have just as much or more of a opertunity than a lot of us. I don't have a issue with fn hunting but they also need to have regulations just like all of us. I know a lot of fn in the chilcotin that is a heck of a lot better off than me ,and they live on these reservations . Every year its the same thing they want to stop hunting , we are not the problem shooting moose all year long is , how about killing a pregnant cow that's just wrong but they do it all the time .

I think you're misreading my post. I wasn't talking about FN in my last line of my previous comment. I was commenting on the fact that I feel a connection to the land around me much as I'm sure a majority of first nations do. I'm now seeing an overwhelming number of newcomers coming in with better tools than I have and therefore I feel empathy for the first nations that probably look at their situation much the same way.

I didn't say I feel sorry for them;

Empathy: "
the action of understanding, being aware of, and vicariously (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vicarious) experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/explicit) manner; also : the capacity for this

"

Im looking towards the future, and I see a time when our rights will be obliterated by overwhelming pressure on the resource.

Jelvis
10-04-2013, 09:32 PM
It's getting to the point where to do anything like so many want this all equal.
It will take real cases from court records to prove any story bout massacres and calf killing and so on.
These he said she said, is the same as all the other ones, no names and nothing.
Do you think just bs stories made up by some zealous shit disturber?
A person who vents with others about others when there is no proof or names and the person they are talking about isn't there, is called case building, talking about someone who isn't there to defend themselves..
I understand many get off on this hyper topic but it goes nowhere fast.
Jel . IBTL You wouldn't talk like this face to face in person so think about that.

REMINGTON JIM
10-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Might not turn you away if you were "wolf hunting". That said I think it is encouraging that they at least say they are self regulating themselves.

Ha Ha Ha ! LMAO - self regulating what :confused: WTF are u thinking ? Please explain - thks :) RJ

ianwuzhere
10-04-2013, 09:38 PM
First Nation stands for Rape and pillage the land! They have no concept of conservation and how to take care of the land and animals that live on it. If white man hadn't shown up they would have nothing left!
They get everything given to them and still its not enough. Take take take take take. I'm sick of it!
If they want to be treated like First Nation people then go live off the grid in some hut made of sticks, leave your guns and pit lights behind and live off the land like you did before white man came along.

Let the First Nation bashing begin, gotta love ol Huntingbc.ca for entertainment. :icon_frow

Surrey Boy
10-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Let the First Nation bashing begin, gotta love ol Huntingbc.ca for entertainment. :icon_frow

And everywhere else in the country but academia and government.

Surrey Boy
10-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Why is it so hard for some groups to see why they are not liked?

Surrey Boy
10-04-2013, 09:51 PM
And the next time I see a white crackhead I'll beat the tar out of him for making everyone else think whites are helpless insane welfare criminals.

Jelvis
10-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Remember when you point the finger there's three fingers pointing back at you.
Try it point your index finger and look at the other three. I meen it, try it now point
Who dat? lol
Mikel Jackson says. Look at the man in the mirror. Start there and then change your act. When you try to find fault with others to help boldster your insecurity
your playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded 6 gun revolver

Surrey Boy
10-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Remember when you point the finger there's three fingers pointing back at you.
Try it point your index finger and look at the other three.
Who dat? lol
Mikel Jackson says. Look at the man in the mirror.

I used to get laughed at by all the east indians I worked with about how white girls are whores. I couldn't refute that.

Jelvis
10-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Different strokes for different folks. We will never get along anyvaze. No matter what.
We are made in an adversarial world with much adversity and anamosity.

The Dawg
10-04-2013, 10:24 PM
This is how any illegal blockades should be dealt with...I guarantee they would only do it once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEqWdBzPPKo

moosinaround
10-04-2013, 10:29 PM
This is how any illegal blockades should be dealt with...I guarantee they would only do it once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEqWdBzPPKo
The harvester of sorrow Dawg!!!!!! My avatar pic!!

The Dawg
10-04-2013, 10:40 PM
The harvester of sorrow Dawg!!!!!! My avatar pic!!

Yup....my fav US plane ever...think we could rent one for a day?

375 ultramag
10-04-2013, 10:51 PM
I work,pay taxes,buy a hunting licsence and tags.Law says I can hunt,I hunt.Period.
That`s all I have to say about that.

I second that

DanTheMan
10-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Same as always. The white man is told "no, you can't take your very limited piece of this resource" meanwhile the native folk can poach to their heart's content. As far as I'm concerned if you want to hunt or fish on your "traditional" lands you should:

Have to be able to fluently speak your native language
Hunt using traditional methods (i.e. no firearms or modern bows, ATVs or trucks, etc)
Have to produce your equipment in the way it would have been produced 140 years ago

Pemby_mess
10-05-2013, 01:07 AM
Same as always. The white man is told "no, you can't take your very limited piece of this resource" meanwhile the native folk can poach to their heart's content. As far as I'm concerned if you want to hunt or fish on your "traditional" lands you should:

Hunt using traditional methods (i.e. no firearms or modern bows, ATVs or trucks, etc)
Have to produce your equipment in the way it would have been produced 140 years ago

Wow, I actually somewhat agree with that first one. It's the first time I've heard it mentioned but it seems like it would be a great incentive to preserve cultural knowlege. An exchange: you get cultural rights with cultural skills. Awesome.

Rackem
10-05-2013, 06:16 AM
I used to get laughed at by all the east indians I worked with about how white girls are whores. I couldn't refute that.

White men are whores too.

flyboy
10-05-2013, 06:57 AM
Well I think someone has to take them to task on the whole blockade and get this into the media and solved.

Whomever has a LEH for this area needs to load up and go on the hunt they legally have a right to go on. Be prepared to stop and camp at the roadblock, get out the cell phone/sat and call the local police. Let them know you are at a illegal roadblock and you need the service you pay for to come out and remove the blockade so you can continue on.

The law is the law and don't back down when you hear excuses why they can't. You wouldn't get excuses if you were blockading the Save On Foods store in town.

I know easy to write about but until someone actually takes some legal action all this will be is a lesson in bitching online and a gaurented compromise to the offending party.

Let me win a LEH and I would have no issue with standing up for my legal right. Treaty or no treaty roadblocks are illegal.

Big Lew
10-05-2013, 07:32 AM
I wood like to say to all the wonderful members on this superior huntingbc site that we have fn hunters who are proud members with huntingbc.
They luv hunting as much as you do and use fair chase like you do.
They have husbands and wives and sons and daughters who hunt also like many others, they hunt because they enjoy it and the venison meat.
These people are not anything like the people you are describing about who massacre every animal in sight. Just sayin.
.. we are all individuals and are responsible for our actions we are not all the same
Karma will deal with anyones unpaid past mistakes who dint respect the Creation.
Who dint correct their mistakes and kept on making them to rebel will pay the Piper imho
jeldo

Very well put "Jelvis", couldn't agree more. When the "Jel" speaks seriously, take notice, he makes intelligent and credible statements.

frenchbar
10-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Very well put "Jelvis", couldn't agree more. When the "Jel" speaks seriously, take notice, he makes intelligent and credible statements.
jelvis is king!

huntcoop
10-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Well I think someone has to take them to task on the whole blockade and get this into the media and solved.

Whomever has a LEH for this area needs to load up and go on the hunt they legally have a right to go on. Be prepared to stop and camp at the roadblock, get out the cell phone/sat and call the local police. Let them know you are at a illegal roadblock and you need the service you pay for to come out and remove the blockade so you can continue on.

The law is the law and don't back down when you hear excuses why they can't. You wouldn't get excuses if you were blockading the Save On Foods store in town.

I know easy to write about but until someone actually takes some legal action all this will be is a lesson in bitching online and a gaurented compromise to the offending party.

Let me win a LEH and I would have no issue with standing up for my legal right. Treaty or no treaty roadblocks are illegal.

Very good post, I wish I had a LEH. Arm yourself with the knowledge and stand your ground, it's our land too.

Amphibious
10-05-2013, 08:49 AM
"Moose monitors will enforce the band by turning away all ATVs and similar off-road vehicles."

What about bear, deer, grouse and wolf hunters???

SSS

if they're not carrying a badge AND a gun, i hope everyone tells them to pound sand. "band" moose monitors? letting the fox gaurd the hen house. What a joke.

Rackem
10-05-2013, 09:05 AM
I was talking to a fella at work about my experience on the Nemiah, where there were about ten cows and calves hanging, some of which were starting to rot and had dogs chewing at them...

He claimed that 'traditionally" most native peoples including the Inuit, did not value the muscle meat or "outside" of the animal. They were after the highly nutritious organ meats, due to vitamin deficiencies in their diet. The "meat" part of the carcass was fed to the dogs deliberately.

Still, even if true, unsustainable hunting practice...

Spy
10-05-2013, 09:28 AM
I see a pretty easy "short term" solution to the problem. Shut moose hunting down in the unit , for everyone, until numbers are sustainable. Anyone found shooting moose $10000 fine & confiscation of truck rifles ect. Put a bounty on wolves $300/ wolf. If trees need to be replanted & habitat restored then do it. Why do people have to resort to such drastic measures, before MOE does something about the problem?

brutus
10-05-2013, 09:31 AM
what about a bunch of leh holders(btw there not all white guys a lot of different race hunt)put up a blockade so no fn arent allowed to hunt in there leh MU and see how fast the rcmp would take to take down the blockade lol.As far as Jelvis post there good and bad in all nations,the good dont put up illegal blockade to prevent lawful hunter to access crown land,they are breaking the law and should be dealt with accordingly.exemple of bad fn and this is a true story,a few guys i know very well as i hunted with them before are first nation,first couple of times i hunted with them it was all good they fallowed the rules,they would see game and if it was a no go they would not shoot,then they talk to some fn in fsj who told them you are fn there are no rules you shoot what you see if you want,ever since they kill everything they see,just to name a few they shot a 5 point elk in early august a few years back,this year they shot two cow elk one muley in one trip in mid august.they are back out again this week in the kooteney this time cant wait to see what they bring home this time.these are true stories seen with my own eyes,i refuse to even discuss hunting with them anymore.

Rackem
10-05-2013, 09:53 AM
And I know FN hunters here who buy hunting licenses, tags, and hunt by the regs....take each person as an individual...

Wild one
10-05-2013, 09:59 AM
The main issue is the moose numbers are way down and until both FN and non FN hunters can agree on how to work together to solve this issue IT WILL NOT GO AWAY.

The problem is both groups want rights to hunt these moose and believe neither of there hunts effect this population of moose right or wrong this is the case. The truth is any moose killed out of this population has an effect on the numbers just some less than others.

It would be nice if at least a proper quota was set for both groups and those caught were dealt with strict punishment regardless of what decent they are. The problem is the govt lacks the balls to set something like this in place.

Left in the hands of the govt we all know which group will loose out on the right to hunt.

The hardest part of this is the pissing match of each groups right to hunt/entitlement issues and lack of enforcement.

Personally I will not apply for LEH moose in the area do to the # not the FN issues as I to me my right to hunt them still does not make it correct to target moose from a population having a major decline.

Now the temper tantrum throw by FN in the area is something that pisses me off not because I believe the moose should be hunted but the fact that there is no enforcement against it. With the lack of law enforcement dealing with this I don't blame any man who looses it at one of these blockades as I doubt I could hold my temper

10-05-2013, 10:06 AM
This BS will never stop till the entire Country stands up and treats ALL the same .......... ya many years ago the F/N's were not treated properly in many ways. Well how long do the hand outs keep going ........ if life is free what is the incentive to change or do better, free hand outs and privileges every where. They lost the war ........ it's time every one be treated equal. Stand up and be accountable ....... for your loss or gain. Shite ....... if we all had free hand outs wouldn't this be a great place to live.

CT

Sleep Robber
10-05-2013, 10:26 AM
And I know FN hunters here who buy hunting licenses, tags, and hunt by the regs....take each person as an individual...

My wife is Nisga {Wolf Clan}, she has taken her C.O.R.E. as well as both restricted and non-restricted PAL'S. She buys a hunting license and tags for the game she wants to pursue/hunt EVERY YEAR.

Same goes with fishing, she doesn't need a Non-Tidal license to fish but she buys one anyways as she likes to contribute those monies that are needed in both hunting and fishing managements. Although she doesn't need to do all of these things she views it as simple gratitude and likes the fact that she gives back to the sport{s} she likes to participate in and I love her very much for that.:wink:

Rackem
10-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Funny how free handouts do not lead to improved quality of life for the average person on a res. There are appalling living conditions, poverty and disease on many reserves.

Adequate housing, potable water, and basic education are lacking on many...

All race classification should be abolished and all natives declared to be Canadians.

Many of the leaders are taking the money and abusing the people.

An effective way to destroy people is to destroy self-esteem, a major source of which is being productive, self-reliant individuals. The English were great at that, they did it to my people, banning the tartan, instituting Prima Noctre, banning Gaelic and shipping us off our traditional lands to Canada....I want to make a land claim in Scotland.

Sleep Robber
10-05-2013, 10:41 AM
I wanna Camo Kilt.

Sofa King
10-05-2013, 10:43 AM
oh no someone said first nation they must be racist.

they're Indians, not first nation, I wish people would get that right.

Sofa King
10-05-2013, 10:43 AM
didn't they threaten this exact ban last year as well?

Sofa King
10-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Funny how free handouts do not lead to improved quality of life for the average person on a res. There are appalling living conditions, poverty and disease on many reserves.

All race classification should be abolished and all natives declared to be Canadians.

An effective way to destroy people is to destroy self-esteem, a major source of which is being productive, self-reliant individuals. The English were great at that, they did it to my people, banning the tartan, instituting Prima Noctre, banning Gaelic and shipping us off our traditional lands to Canada....I want to make a land claim in Scotland.

I agree, many of the chiefs are taking disgusting advantage of the reserve's peoples.
but, Indians are offered so many things to improve their lives that the massive majority refuses to take.
the best example being free college.
offer that to a Caucasian and there'd be lines as far as the eye can see.

Rackem
10-05-2013, 10:48 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/half-of-first-nations-children-live-in-poverty-1.1324232

Half of status First Nations children in Canada live in poverty, a troubling figure that jumps to nearly two-thirds in Saskatchewan and Manitoba, says a newly released report.

"The poverty rate is staggering. A 50 per cent poverty rate is unlike any other poverty rate for any other disadvantaged group in the country, by a long shot the worst," said David Macdonald, a senior economist at the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives and co-author of the report.

In Manitoba and Saskatchewan, 62 and 64 per cent of status First Nations children were living below the poverty line, compared with 15 and 16 per cent among non-indigenous children in the provinces.

"Imagine any typical First Nations child living on a reserve," said Wilson, a former diplomat and policy consultant on indigenous issues. "They're waking up in an overcrowded home that may have asbestos, probably has mould, is likely in need of major repair, that does not have drinking water and they have no school to go to."

The report notes that on-reserve First Nations children who are under federal jurisdiction fare far worse compared with indigenous children — Métis, Inuit and non-status First Nations — under provincial jurisdiction. For the latter group, the rate of poverty was 27 per cent, twice that of their non-indigenous counterparts.

That figure aligns closely with the poverty rate experienced by first-generation immigrant and refugee children, which sits at 33 per cent, as well as by visible minorities, which is at 22 per cent.

"Some of these differences in child poverty appear to be a matter of jurisdiction," the report notes.
Provinces provide social services to Métis, Inuit and non-reserve First Nations, while Ottawa is responsible for funding social services on reserves.

Rackem
10-05-2013, 10:50 AM
I wanna Camo Kilt.

Here you go, but you have to wear it "traditionally"

http://scotweb-objects.com/images/items3/sr_swhdr_eightyardkilt_camo_kilt.jpg http://schubart.net/images/CamouflageKilt.jpeg

Sleep Robber
10-05-2013, 10:54 AM
^^^ Perrrfect, commando all the way missy

Gr8 white hunter
10-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Cut them off everything.I'm biting my tongue so hard it's bleeding.

The Dawg
10-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Cut them off everything.I'm biting my young so hard it's bleeding.

Dont eat your kids!

Rackem
10-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Cut them off everything.I'm biting my young so hard it's bleeding.

Stop eating your young, you won't carry your DNA on that way!!!

Big Lew
10-05-2013, 11:30 AM
My wife is Nisga {Wolf Clan}, she has taken her C.O.R.E. as well as both restricted and non-restricted PAL'S. She buys a hunting license and tags for the game she wants to pursue/hunt EVERY YEAR.

Same goes with fishing, she doesn't need a Non-Tidal license to fish but she buys one anyways as she likes to contribute those monies that are needed in both hunting and fishing managements. Although she doesn't need to do all of these things she views it as simple gratitude and likes the fact that she gives back to the sport{s} she likes to participate in and I love her very much for that.:wink:

I applaud and am thoroughly impressed with those that can put the past and/or miserable conditions behind them, regardless as to whether they come from an indigenous background or not, and strive to better their lot either within their community or within modern Canadian society. Many fail to realize or understand the utter hopefulness many native youth see before them when living on the majority of the reserves that are isolated from education and real full time employment. As they say "walk a mile in the other man's shoes". As in all races and peoples, there are always those minorities that create problems and bad relations with others. How many non-natives would personally take advantage (be honest) of the aboriginal rights we complain about if they had them as well?

Sleep Robber
10-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Stop eating your young, you won't carry your DNA on that way!!!

Idunno, too much of "that" DNA floating around as it is, keep eating !!

Gr8 white hunter
10-05-2013, 11:36 AM
It's the same as the Roosevelt Elk on the island brought here by the white man, so the indians should have to put in for LEH like the rest of us.

flyboy
10-05-2013, 11:55 AM
I am working out of the country right now or else I would do it.

Why doesn't someone give the RCMP in Williams Lake a call and ask them if they would mind escorting you thru the illegal roadblock so you can go on your totally legal BC GOVERNMENT APPROVED LEH HUNT. Would be interested to hear that call!!!

10-05-2013, 11:58 AM
I am working out of the country right now or else I would do it.

Why doesn't someone give the RCMP in Williams Lake a call and ask them if they would mind escorting you thru the illegal roadblock so you can go on your totally legal BC GOVERNMENT APPROVED LEH HUNT. Would be interested to hear that call!!!

Yes, good idea. Make the call, record the conversation, and give the results to the media. Make both the RCMP and provincial government squirm.

jbruce
10-05-2013, 12:10 PM
any new news on this crap??Heading up Friday night, hate to see my blood pressure go through the roof!!

Redneck Rocket
10-05-2013, 12:33 PM
I have been watching this thread with a lot of interest, as long-time fisherman and relatively new hunter. I also studied resource management at University in some capacity, although not as a major (some upper level classes.) I don't think it is possible to operate a successful resource management system (which, let's face it we NEED given the number of people who would like to hunt/fish/harvest resources) when you don't have some measure of control over the rates of harvest. I think that the Provincial Agencies do a good job with the very limited resources they have to police what is in practical terms a HUGE area covering a broad range of species. They don't always get it right, but on the whole, we have good opportunities to hunt & fish in this Province for a reasonable cost. Friends I talk to in other countries can't believe how little it costs for me to get a license and tag and go shoot a deer.

I find it problematic that that First Nations are not formally included in that management system. How can you reasonably expect to manage a harvest of a limited resource if it is possible as we hear, for a group to wipe out 6 or 7 individuals and harvest cows & calves which we all know is detrimental to the population. As a resource manager, how do you plan or account for that? How do you incorporate that into a long-term strategy if you don't have a measure of control or influence over that process?

By allowing the First Nations special rights which are different to those of non-First Nations residents, we are awarding them with extraordinary power over these limited resources. As has so often been quoted by great men & women over the course of history - "With great power comes great responsibility." I believe that First Nations hunters therefore have a responsibility to be whiter than white (please pardon the turn of phrase lol!) If you look at any common resource which is governed by access restrictions, the PERCEPTION of users as to whether others are following the rules is absolutely critical in terms of an individual's adherence. People who use this forum are probably those who care the most and who are the most law-abiding, however we all know what happens. Monkey see, Monkey do.... guy hears/sees about another guy poaching and says "why should I follow the rules if no-one else does." That applied even more so if one group has special access right that others do not. If FN are seen to be abusing those rights, there will be a huge knock-on affect to non-FN hunters or fisherman who will use it as an easy excuse to justify their own poaching. So I believe that it is incumbent upon FN as those with special rights to set an example.

Having said that, I think there are a couple of other very, very important points that have been made here. First of all, groups are made up of individuals. There are bad apples in every barrel, and I have no doubt that as is always the case in life, there are a small group of FN hunters who give the rest a bad name by abusing their special rights. I know for a fact that this is the case with sport fishing. 95% of the people I have met on the river or on forums have been law abiding, ethical people who want to value the resource. Hunting can't be any different, regardless of the colour of your skin. So, as a non-FN hunter, one has the same responsibility to report all poachers and polluters, and when you hear about or see people breaking the rules, if you choose to stay quiet you have no right to complain about FN abuses. "The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men(and women) to do nothing." I'm sure that there are just as many bad apples % wise in the non-FN hunting community as there are with FN.

I only have one other thought. Having called on FN hunters who care and respect the resource to police the members of their community who do not, and suggested that they have a great responsibility to do so.... it does trouble me to see some of the comments that people make whenever FN come up. People like to talk about colonization as though it happened hundreds of years ago, and FN need to get over it. It is worth remembering just how recently some of these things took place. For example, the last residential school in BC closed in 1984. Think about that one. That is not that long ago, and I'd wager that a good number of the people on this site are old enough that it could have been them who were forcibly removed from their families, and taken to a residential school where they were forbidden from speaking their language, and where they were highly likely to have been physically & sexually abused. We have such short memories these days, and we like to say "well I didn't do any of that stuff to them" which is true, but as a friend said to me when living in the Southern US - when you see an old black guy, just remember that when he was your age, he wouldn't have been allowed to drink from the same fountain as you, ride the same part of the bus.

I'm not an apologist, as you can see I think that FN have to take responsibility for their own situation and their own people, and that having low expectations of people because of their circumstances is not productive. But I think we do have to acknowledge that FN people have been systematically screwed over in this province for the last 100 years. There are a lot of them who are doing wonderful things for their people, who are contributing to the entire province and rather than slagging them all off, we should be working with those individuals to help build a better future for all of us.

So, just for the record, I don't agree with them imposing a closure, and I don't agree with them having uncontrolled access to resources that we all value. I would say that if they are to be awarded special rights, those should still be managed within the same system, with input and participation from FN. For example, why not have LEH tags that are available only to FN? Or issue the FN bands with a number of tags and allow them to administer themselves? That way they get extra access but still have to abide by the same laws and regulations that we all do. That would certainly stop the finger pointing back and forth between FN & non-FN hunters.

Good discussion, let's keep it going.

.300WSMImpact!
10-05-2013, 12:50 PM
White men are whores too.

its ok ok for men

10-05-2013, 01:28 PM
We were in country last year for our LEH moose hunt - I have never felt more unwelcome in any part of the province I was born in, than I did in the Chicotin... It's like the wild west up there. Hunt with a partner and be very careful there guys. The RCMP we talked to suggested geting as far away as possible from any reserve land. We only ever saw them travelling in convoy up near Alexis Creek.

ru rancher
10-05-2013, 01:41 PM
It's getting to the point where to do anything like so many want this all equal.
It will take real cases from court records to prove any story bout massacres and calf killing and so on.
These he said she said, is the same as all the other ones, no names and nothing.
Do you think just bs stories made up by some zealous shit disturber?
A person who vents with others about others when there is no proof or names and the person they are talking about isn't there, is called case building, talking about someone who isn't there to defend themselves..
I understand many get off on this hyper topic but it goes nowhere fast.
Jel . IBTL You wouldn't talk like this face to face in person so think about that.
with any of the storys iv heard id talk face to face with those people telling them why it is rong how they are the reason the moose are on the decline so dont jump to conclusions jel

brutus
10-05-2013, 02:45 PM
fn dont care about the numbers of moose,the moose are in decline all over the province so the biologist say.the thing that piss them off is now they have to work to get there moose and we all no i much they like to work lol.the bullshit about them living in povrety is plain old BS,the oportunity is there for everyone to take they just choose not to take it.I work my ass off to make a living and if half of them would do the same they would not be poor.there is laws is this country and whoever lives in it should be held responsable for breaking them.

Rackem
10-05-2013, 04:13 PM
its ok ok for men

Slut: Definition: A woman with a mans morals. :)

Rackem
10-05-2013, 04:31 PM
fn dont care about the numbers of moose,the moose are in decline all over the province so the biologist say.the thing that piss them off is now they have to work to get there moose and we all no i much they like to work lol.the bullshit about them living in povrety is plain old BS,the oportunity is there for everyone to take they just choose not to take it.I work my ass off to make a living and if half of them would do the same they would not be poor.there is laws is this country and whoever lives in it should be held responsable for breaking them.

I can tell you have done extensive reading and research so you fully understand the situation on FN reserves. You understand the fallout from residential school abuse, being raised in poverty, being born with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder, being born with out hope of any kind of future.

I bet you would be a different person today if you were raised under those conditions.

Poverty is a fact, not BS.

Opportunity may exist, not all are able to rise up and take advantage of it. Do some more research on sexual and physical abuse and Fetal alcohol. I used to teach adults with FASD on the Sugarcane reserve, and let me tell you, they studied hard, worked to understand a concept, were successful, went to bed, and it was ALL GONE the next day.

I agree, one law for all. No racist laws. Abolish the Indian Act.

Jelvis
10-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Talking and venting is good to get things off your chest on a site with your face reflected on a flat screen. A safe secure environment. Discussing and sharing.
By yourself in the house or with the partner enjoying the hunting site and watching the hockey game, saying what you wood do if some natives tried stopping you from hunting, but if you actually met up with a crew of Indians on the corner of a backroad you don't want to get things going in reality and we all know that.
If you think arguing and getting threatening to them is right to do there on a back road?
Slow down and stop and listen to what they say, or turn around, but don't speed up and race through the people on the sides of the road way.
Don't escalate anger or sarcasm and give the guys and gals a chance to explain.
Then what ever you decide carry on, and go your way that you choose.
You and I know no one can stop you legally on an fsr, only the RCMP or CO's can legally stop you in your tracks when ever they want to.
It's all up to you, you have control over yourself and no one else, you cannot change another's behavior, but you can control you only.
No one makes you do something, because you use your own mind to control yourself.
Jel .. Good luck on your travels thru the wilds folks, listen up and smile and carry on.

Rackem
10-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Anyone remember the Gustafsen Lake Standoff?? That was NOT productive.

The Gustafsen Lake Standoff was a confrontation between the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and the Ts'peten Defenders in the interior of British Columbia, Canada, at Gustafsen Lake. The standoff began on August 18, 1995, and ended on September 17, 1995. The RCMP operation would end up being the most costly of its kind in Canadian history having involved 400 police officers and support from the Canadian Military (under Operation Wallaby). The predominantly indigenous occupiers believed that the privately owned ranch land on which they stood was both sacred space and part of a larger tract of unceded Shuswap territory.

Islandeer
10-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Just have a problem with any people shoving there illegal agendas in my face. They are asking for pushback to feed their political agendas, their chiefs are to blame.

Rackem
10-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Just have a problem with any people shoving there illegal agendas in my face.

As do I, illegal activity should be addressed by the police. One law for all.

Jelvis
10-05-2013, 05:36 PM
All Status Indians in Canada have a,- =///--- > Certificate Of Indian Status <---///=
Issued only by Indian and Northern Affairs Canada
Saying this is to Certify that, ( n-a-m-e ) is an Indian within the meaning of the Indian Act, chapter 27, Statutes of Canada (1985)
--- Write to -- INAC Ottawa, Ontario, Canada KIA OH4 --
Tell them what your saying on here and see what they say.
jellohello (INAC) Will inform you your call may be recorded for better quality

139grainsofhell
10-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Just take a case of wisers up with you just in case you need to pay the toll.

frenchbar
10-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Just take a case of wisers up with you just in case you need to pay the toll.your handle should be
139braincellsleft ,,,

Sleep Robber
10-05-2013, 06:56 PM
your handle should be
139braincellsleft ,,,

^^^ Agreed !! or............ 12poststoomany...........hehehe

f350ps
10-05-2013, 07:02 PM
your handle should be
139braincellsleft ,,,
No shit!! I'm so tempted to use that as a signature! K

frenchbar
10-05-2013, 07:04 PM
No shit!! I'm so tempted to use that as a signature! K
I would be honored lol

ruger#1
10-05-2013, 07:23 PM
I got stung by a bee today. It hurt.

frenchbar
10-05-2013, 07:27 PM
I got stung by a bee today. It hurt.

no sniveling

TheProvider
10-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Keep on hunting ladies and gentlemen. Keep a camera with you in your vehicle and do some recording as they try to stop you. I wonder how many of these roadblocks will be armed.

TheProvider
10-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Maybe they will publish another movie of a moose hunter shooting "Marvin" the moose after they have put their "made up ban" in affect.

Gateholio
10-05-2013, 08:25 PM
It's a real shame that this group of natives are so racist. Racism is something that simply shouldn't be tolerated any more.

edgar11
10-05-2013, 08:31 PM
One set of rules for every Canadian, British Columbian, local. How hard is that? Very easy to police then, no special rights or privaledges for anyone. Level playing field for all. Moosin

There are one set of rules. Re: Canadian Government. You just don't like the ones that you can't benefit from.

brutus
10-05-2013, 08:35 PM
lol.i have done more reserch then you think,you dont have a clue of my background,most of those people choose to live that lifestyle.i agree theres is victims and all kinds of abuse in res but the same goes for all other ethnic comunity,they seem to choose to stay in the problem instead of looking for solution,if you think otherwise you are blind.I have a friend that adopted 6 native kids with alchool fetal sindrom i take care of some of them once in a while, they are victims and its sad,none of there family as ever tried to come and see them see how there doing or even contact my friend to even ask how there doing what does that tell you.

edgar11
10-05-2013, 08:37 PM
WAH!WAH! BOO HOO! Cry me a river. Why don't you accept the fact that you were NOT here first and therefore do not reap the benefits. Simple as that. Are you going to fall on the ground and kick and scream too? HaHa!

edgar11
10-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Why is it so hard for some groups to see why they are not liked?

Is your name surrey boy or Bigot Boy?

Gateholio
10-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Many laws evolve over time, the racial laws we have in Canada are due for an overhaul.

edgar11
10-05-2013, 08:47 PM
This BS will never stop till the entire Country stands up and treats ALL the same .......... ya many years ago the F/N's were not treated properly in many ways. Well how long do the hand outs keep going ........ if life is free what is the incentive to change or do better, free hand outs and privileges every where. They lost the war ........ it's time every one be treated equal. Stand up and be accountable ....... for your loss or gain. Shite ....... if we all had free hand outs wouldn't this be a great place to live.

CT
Which "hand outs" do you speak of?............................................... ..........Is that what grandpa told you?

edgar11
10-05-2013, 08:51 PM

Maybe there are no improvements because there ARE NO HANDOUTS! Your Government likes to show they are sending all this money to the poor first nation people but have you been on a reserve lately?

edgar11
10-05-2013, 08:52 PM
they're Indians, not first nation, I wish people would get that right.
Um.... No............Indians come from India, Are you lost like Chris Columbus too?

edgar11
10-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Just take a case of wisers up with you just in case you need to pay the toll.

Nice racist remark Grainsofhell!

Jelvis
10-05-2013, 09:00 PM
The Gates got it pegged, every race has racists. All races.
any color of skin has it's own percentage of racists from white red brown or yellow
It's part of society altho thankfully a small part in Canada.

remington666
10-05-2013, 09:04 PM
hey Edgar11 ,the problem with most reservations are the chief and his family and friends keep the money from the government and throw the rest of the reserve under the bus ,the chiefs and leaders are just like politicians greedy hypocrites .If you are telling me no taxes on most items ,free education and free housing arent handouts you need to go back to school ,thats if you ever went .

edgar11
10-05-2013, 09:04 PM
any colored skin has racists.
Amen Jel, you got that right. 124 posts and this is not locked yet? I guarantee now though that now I dissed the racist boys it will get locked. HaHa!

HarryToolips
10-05-2013, 09:08 PM
any colored skin has racists.
Thats right and I hate all races equally..how come they're allowed to hunt bulls, they should lead by example and stop moose hunting there like the rest of us...when a region has no general open season of any kind on a certain species and that species is still suffering, then FN must be the problem just as much as the preds...

Gateholio
10-05-2013, 09:09 PM
hey Edgar11 ,the problem with most reservations are the chief and his family and friends keep the money from the government and throw the rest of the reserve under the bus ,the chiefs and leaders are just like politicians greedy hypocrites .If you are telling me no taxes on most items ,free education and free housing arent handouts you need to go back to school ,thats if you ever went .

One correction- the money doesn't come from government, it comes from taxpayers.

edgar11
10-05-2013, 09:11 PM

Are you sure ALL the chiefs do that? How is not paying taxes a handout? Free housing? Have you seen all the nice Mansions on the reserves lately? The government decided to share this land with the first nation people and in turn agreed to allow them to continue certain rights. Not pay taxes, hunt and fish etc. If you think about it, they got a pretty shitty deal as Canada reaps all the rewards from mining, forestry, fishing etc. You can look at it as glass half or half empty, you decide.

TheProvider
10-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Are you sure ALL the chiefs do that? How is not paying taxes a handout? Free housing? Have you seen all the nice Mansions on the reserves lately? The government decided to share this land with the first nation people and in turn agreed to allow them to continue certain rights. Not pay taxes, hunt and fish etc. If you think about it, they got a pretty shitty deal as Canada reaps all the rewards from mining, forestry, fishing etc. You can look at it as glass half or half empty, you decide.

No one is stopping them from going to school and getting well paid careers. You can say a lot of first nation people are dealt $hitty hands from the start. Well guess what? There are thousands of other Canadians who are also dealt the same hands. This thread isn't about how unfair some people have it. Its about another illegal ban put in place and people interupting legal hunts.

Jelvis
10-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Don't forget that includes what ever race you are so all of us, no one is innocent..
We are from some race so everyone is guilty to some degree from 1 to 100.
We are taught in Canada to be tolerent towards other Canadians who are from another race. Everyone in Canada except a few immigrated across the oceans to Canada from their home country to come to Canada, the land of freedom.
They had sons and daughters and they had sons and daughters and here we are today.
Give peace a chance .. John Lemon
jel you've been schooled lol .. we are all guilty not one is innocent, you are, I am.
It's time to resist any racism and it starts with ourselves.

remington666
10-05-2013, 09:27 PM
you are right edgar i shouldnt say all chiefs ,but i did grow up with many member of the musquem and squamish nations and i have seen the first hand abuse many of them take at the hands of their own leaders ,i have also witnessed them been given brand new houses which were a hell of alot nicer then my families ,but years later the houses are dumps ,whos fault is that i guess the white man right .I would also like to question how do you think the things i have mentioned are not handouts ?i work 60 hours a week to pay taxes to barely get by , how many indians are complaining about that .i should also let youknow that every native i grew up with noyt one has amounted to anything ,6 of them are dead from drinking ,maybe they should stop blaiming whitey and start taking some responsibility for their actions i am not forcing them to drop out of school and drink ,grow up your shit stinks just as bad as whiteys probuallly worse

remington666
10-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Theprovider is right ,this is very frustrating for legal law abiding hunters who are getting bullied illegally by f.n. ,until evryone agrees and abides by a closure in region 5 on moose hunting for a number of years ,the squabbling and fighting will never end .one set of laws that everyone follows ,good luck to those who were fortunate enough to get the leh moose tags in region 5-04 and 03 dont let the road blocks stop you ,hunt legally and responsibly and enjoy your trips .

Jelvis
10-05-2013, 09:40 PM
I can't understand some things in Canada but I accept it, altho some I've read about in the paper and saw on tv.
The number 1 people for Canadians to tolerate is Natives.
Government backed survey on who Canadians consider the people they need the most tolerance for is Natives of Canada.
the second was Muslims, then the third and down to ten. But it blew me away
Canadians need the most tolerance for their own native people?
I'm still hoping this is wrong but I saw it on the news folks no bull.
So I do understand the opposition most have for special benefits when I see it hurts the most in tolerating people you see everyday somewhere.

DanTheMan
10-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Which "hand outs" do you speak of?............................................... ..........Is that what grandpa told you?

Lol, you are kidding right? The free housing (that all turn into dumps because the people living there have no respect for anything because they didn't have to earn it) and the free post secondary education (that very few take advantage of) are two of the biggest ones that come to mind.

People say that the natives live in poverty, which is true and you can't really debate that (well except for most of the chiefs...). BUT they all are content to sit around all day and not find a job and/or leave the reserve so whose fault is it really? Mine for not paying higher taxes to support those who have the god given right to bum around all day and then bitch and moan about it? I don't think so.

Jelvis
10-05-2013, 10:52 PM
If it's an illegal road stop then yes it's wrong for anyone to do this.
If it's a stop and go to hand out info phamplets that's a lil different.
Don't panic yet it could be a good ending for all if the sides like each others plan

sky-gunner
10-06-2013, 12:24 AM
Natives, natives, natives....You guys make it so hard on yourselves. I bet 99% of the people on this site would back the ban if it was indeed for conservation. If that's truly the case, then nobody, white, native whatever should be hunting. Pretty sure unless the government declares the area closed, your "ban" will be illegal anyways. You cant live by a double standard and expect people to understand why and be ok with it. This whole "well we were here first" argument is ridiculous. Yeah you were here first, but we showed up with guns and ships and kicked your ass up and down both coasts and all through the praries. That's TRADITIONALY what we did. But you dont hear us claiming it every time life gets hard, or we want something. <-----You see how ridiculous that argument is? Its just as ridiculous as saying you need to hunt for sustenance, in a age where you can get literally everything you need delivered to your front door, no matter where that is. I dont think anybody hates natives, I think people just hate the double standard in which natives live by. Not all of them do, but I dont think 50% is a stretch.

Feel bad for anybody who won a draw and has to deal with this. Hopefully it stays peaceful.

Sleep Robber
10-06-2013, 12:41 AM

I kinda wish my wife would have gotten a draw for up there, I'd be curious to see what the natives would say if and when we were stopped at a "road block" and she showed them her license and draw tag for a bull moose in that area that she bought and paid for.

She works for the ministry helping native children but doesn't like this kinda bullshit so I'm sure she'd have something to say as well when up there as she doesn't put up with any of my shit so I could see her getting a bit fired up if they were to try and stop her from hunting.

This is purely all hypothetical but I really wonder what would go down, I sure as shit wouldn't let them push us around but I wouldn't go as far as getting violent either, that would make me an idiot too and would only be stooping to their levels then.

Maybe they'd see that she is native and let us pass without prejudice, if they did I would want them to know she had a bull draw and was only there as a Canadian citizen who pays taxes and doesn't live on a reserve. I'm sure their attitude might change then....Idunno.

Pemby_mess
10-06-2013, 01:06 AM
Holy! So much bullshit flying here.

First of all, I am of the mind that the BC FN communities do need to take more responsibility for resource management. They and their "rights" could be an incredible asset for all of us if they are allowed to step up and take requisite responsibility.......

Hard to do when the people with a monopoly on violence, treat you like a child or "ward of the State" or legally, "crown ward"

That's right; In Canada, to this day, people of Indian status remain wards of the Crown as a result of Indian Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Act)legislation.

The federal government has got to scrap the "Indian act". This abhorrent piece of rascist legislation would make most of you tear up and gasp if you knew what was in it. I suggest you read it before you offer your wise words of very unrealistic advice for our native Canadian brethren.

Since y'all love laws so much, here it is:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-5/page-17.html#h-22 (http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-5/page-17.html#h-22)

Some of you on here are basically calling out FN as useless sacks of shit. I think you all need an education. Not the one that the public school system gave you, allowing you to pretend White European culture is gods gift to mankind.

Here's a history lesson:

Canada was and is a colony of European imperialism. There was no war that anybody won or lost, European presence here was negotiated on all sides. The original European pioneers of Canada were essentially's Europes unwashed misfits. They were the kind of people uninterested in status, forming families, kow-towing to employers and lords and came here in pursuit of adventure. Adventure they found......for 200 years, French and English negotiated with and fought wars side by side the ancestors of the native people most of you are slagging right now. They helped our white ancestors protect and bolster food stores throughout the long hard winters. Native nations were by far a majority people; their tapestry of culture a powerful fixture of the landscape and the North American Economy thrived because of it.

Europeans were largely welcomed and even became part of the local tapestry. Research "Metis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9tis_people_(Canada))" for the best example of this.

From first contact on, there was intense negotiation amongst different first nations whether to stamp out the European tide while they still had the resources to do so or to continue trade. Through law and negotiation, trade won the day. In my mind, we owe what we have here today,in Canada, to the cooler heads of this time.

1800s - As the European industrial revolution kicked in to high gear, the fever for expansion took hold and the resources that came with that expansion, became worth killing your friends for. Agriculture swept west through North America along with gold mining discoveries in California, BC and the Yukon. Now for the first time in North American history, land was comodified, and the natives' use of the land now seen as an obstacle rather than an essential economic component.

The British had no will to fight a guerilla war in the Canadian hinterland so they negotiated through treaties, their use of the land. Taking advantage of the natives' murky understanding of imperialist motives and how fast things could change, The Brits set up highly ambiguous portions of land.

Over the next hundred years, as the different nations saw what was occurring east of them, resistance and refusal to negotiate took the priorities of most groups. In the states, the Americans had chosen to wage war as they pushed farms and ranchland west. They did this by eliminating the tens of millions strong bison herds and using biological warfare. In Canada we negotiated treaties ensconced in Canadian contract law enforced by the RCMP.

In the early 1900s, negotiation for land in the Canadian west became increasingly difficult, and the now well established Europeans, under confederation, turned on the natives, resolute in solving "the indian problem" and implementing " the Indian act". Native communities were rounded up into POW camps (reservations) and every aspect of their life was governed my highly restrictive laws ( most of which exist today). There was very little difference here from apertheid south Africa. When even this didn't accomplish the goals of the suits in the House, residential schools were conceived. Kids stripped from their parents to be raped, beaten, starved, tortured, sterilized and/or just outright neglected. Stripped of their language, told that their parents were evil heathens, and vanquished of all cultural identity, they were set to wander as empty ghosts on their ancestoral homeland.

If you think the answers are so easy, ask yourself if you could come back from that. I'm not advocating "handouts" but I think if you actually look into it, their aren't too many of those for the average Indian. A lot of you seem to be really concerned with the laws of this country.........well, like it or not Indian rights are the law!

Itll be interesting to hear the opinion of your grandchildren, when the Chinese come in to "your Canada" with an "empty land" policy.

squamishhunter
10-06-2013, 05:42 AM
This bullshit will keep going on until we aren't "legally" allowed to harvest anything. Then they'll want all our guns. **** this place.

edgar11
10-06-2013, 06:54 AM
you are right edgar i shouldnt say all chiefs ,but i did grow up with many member of the musquem and squamish nations and i have seen the first hand abuse many of them take at the hands of their own leaders ,i have also witnessed them been given brand new houses which were a hell of alot nicer then my families ,but years later the houses are dumps ,whos fault is that i guess the white man right .I would also like to question how do you think the things i have mentioned are not handouts ?i work 60 hours a week to pay taxes to barely get by , how many indians are complaining about that .i should also let youknow that every native i grew up with noyt one has amounted to anything ,6 of them are dead from drinking ,maybe they should stop blaiming whitey and start taking some responsibility for their actions i am not forcing them to drop out of school and drink ,grow up your shit stinks just as bad as whiteys probuallly worse
Do really know where those houses came from? Do you know how much revenue is generated by those reserves in downtown Vancouver? Millions are generated by those reserves and are NOT from handouts. Do you know how much land is worth in downtown Vancouver? Think about it. My reserve has not had a house built in the last 20 years.
I don't work 60 hours a week but I "get by" just fine with my income. I pay taxes and don't need any handouts. Also, 95% of my family have jobs and own property OFF of reserve. Sorry to go against your stereotypical mindset of First Nation People.

Ozone
10-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Well there are some racist comments on here, what about they racists putting up the road block in the first place? Are they not saying our race can hunt but all you white/yellow/black/purple with zebra stripes people cant?

edgar11
10-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Thank you Pemby_mess, finally! somebody with an education and a little knowldege of their Home Country's History. There are a lot of misinformed people who still won't get it though, unfortunately.

edgar11
10-06-2013, 07:10 AM
Well there are some racist comments on here, what about they racists putting up the road block in the first place? Are they not saying our race can hunt but all you white/yellow/black/purple with zebra stripes people cant?

Its Racist to put up a roadblock? Wow thats stretching the definition of the word for sure.

frenchbar
10-06-2013, 07:19 AM
What is your take on the road blocks edgar11..is it justified in your mind ?

Ozone
10-06-2013, 07:29 AM
Its Racist to put up a roadblock? Wow thats stretching the definition of the word for sure.

A roadblock is fine. Its racist to say only one race can hunt moose behind it. Would you not agree?

edgar11
10-06-2013, 07:36 AM
What is your take on the road blocks edgar11..is it justified in your mind ?
I don't really know enough about their particular situation up there to say whether it is justified or not. I don't want to jump to any conclusions although I know that roadblocks in the past have come from a culmination of failed attempts to resolve a problem. Its usually a last resort when other avenues have failed.

frenchbar
10-06-2013, 07:45 AM
I don't really know enough about their particular situation up there to say whether it is justified or not. I don't want to jump to any conclusions although I know that roadblocks in the past have come from a culmination of failed attempts to resolve a problem. Its usually a last resort when other avenues have failed.
Thanks for the reply . I look at things the same way .altho I think the road blocks are NOT the way to go about things .

edgar11
10-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the reply . I look at things the same way .altho I think the road blocks are NOT the way to go about things .

Yeah I agree. I wish that the government would sit down and hash these things out instead of trying to ignore it and hope it will just go away. Alot of things should have been dealt with eons ago but continue to be a hindrance.

Amphibious
10-06-2013, 08:15 AM
What exactly is a native? my family has been here for four generations, can I be a native yet? How long does one have to wait to be treated like a citizen. Oh wait, citizen have second rate privileges when compared to Natives. So being a citizen must not make one a native of this country. I must still just be a dirty tourist. guess I can stop paying taxes, and by that I mean funding bingo, beer.....

What a sad sad joke of a country this place is becoming. When did our national identity become one of guilt?

edgar11
10-06-2013, 08:26 AM
What exactly is a native? my family has been here for four generations, can I be a native yet? How long does one have to wait to be treated like a citizen. Oh wait, citizen have second rate privileges when compared to Natives. So being a citizen must not make one a native of this country. I must still just be a dirty tourist. guess I can stop paying taxes, and by that I mean funding bingo, beer.....

What a sad sad joke of a country this place is becoming. When did our national identity become one of guilt?
Read post #140.

Hank Hunter
10-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Nice little story, what does it have to do with an illegal blockade ?

browningboy
10-06-2013, 08:32 AM
This is interesting though, the people on the poor reserve are offered free education and yet still no tax, however non status people of whatever race are only offered welfare at best, so my point is you make what you want from life, as I heard comments about appalling conditions on the reserve, well one can get a job and move on up, one isn't forced to stay on a reserve, that's choice, just like the non status welfare folks, if they want more then off to work you should go!
The reservations are safety nets from a mindset for FN's, too easy just to hang out, and last comment about land and how non status prosper from it, we work it, many FN reserves should takes lessons from prosperous FN groups and try to better themselves and work at it, create jobs and meaningfull mind sets.

The government should step in or get some media coverage on this, make the government look stupid and force them to step in.

Gr8 white hunter
10-06-2013, 08:34 AM
erm "native" can have many different social and political connotations in different contexts. In some cases it is a neutral, descriptive term, for example, when stating that one is a native of a particular city or that a certain language is one's native language. However, in the context of colonialism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonialism)—in particular, British colonialism—the term "natives", as applied to the inhabitants of colonies, assumed a disparaging and patronising sense, implying that the people concerned were incapable of taking care of themselves and in need of Europeans to administer their lives;[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)] therefore, these people resent the use of the term and consider it insulting, and at present English speakers usually avoid using it. This connotation has also led to controversy over the preference of the terms Native American or American Indians, though this controversy has resulted in either term being acceptable to most American Indians.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native#cite_note-1) And in the context of Nativism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nativism_(politics)), in some periods a potent political force, "natives" are defined as a (predominantly white) group deserving of a special privileged position in comparison to immigrants.

r106
10-06-2013, 09:03 AM
There are one set of rules. Re: Canadian Government. You just don't like the ones that you can't benefit from.

No there are clearly 2 sets of rules. Canadians and First Nation. If you want to be treated as equals then be equal. Period

WAH!WAH! BOO HOO! Cry me a river. Why don't you accept the fact that you were NOT here first and therefore do not reap the benefits. Simple as that. Are you going to fall on the ground and kick and scream too? HaHa!

Don't care who is here first. The Natives that live under the Indian Act and non native who support it are all Racist. Simple as that. I guess if we don't like it we could fall on the ground and kick and scream. Kinda of like if the natives don't like it they can have a road block.

I believe the handout he speaks of is the millions of dollars we give out to Natives bands so the chiefs and council members can get rich while the rest of the band gets peanuts. My grandpa never told me that. Some natives I know did

What the natives really need to do is have a road block on there own Chiefs driveway and demand answers and stop blaming the " white, brown, black or yellow " man

frenchbar
10-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Nice racist remark Grainsofhell!
what do you expect from bigshots bc's shining star ..

Big Lew
10-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Thank you Pemby_mess, finally! somebody with an education and a little knowldege of their Home Country's History. There are a lot of misinformed people who still won't get it though, unfortunately.

I agree "edgar11" and it's also not as simple as some would think for those individuals living in isolated reserves to better themselves even if they wish to. There are some reserves that are fortunate to be in locations where they can take advantage of their resources, or create jobs through community investment such as the Penticton, Tsawwassen, and North Vancouver Bands, but the majority really don't have that advantage so have to leave their community, along with their cultural and emotional ties, in order to get meaningful jobs.

DanTheMan
10-06-2013, 10:00 AM
I agree "edgar11" and it's also not as simple as some would think for those individuals living in isolated reserves to better themselves even if they wish to. There are some reserves that are fortunate to be in locations where they can take advantage of their resources, or create jobs through community investment such as the Penticton, Tsawwassen, and North Vancouver Bands, but the majority really don't have that advantage so have to leave their community, along with their cultural and emotional ties, in order to get meaningful jobs.

It is like TheProvider said:

No one is stopping them from going to school and getting well paid careers. You can say a lot of first nation people are dealt $hitty hands from the start. Well guess what? There are thousands of other Canadians who are also dealt the same hands. This thread isn't about how unfair some people have it. Its about another illegal ban put in place and people interupting legal hunts.

I grew up in a small town in northern BC. I had to leave my family and all my friends behind to go to school and then had to do it again when I found a job. Does that entitle me to tell you that you aren't allowed to go on a hunt, even though you have been given the legal right to do so, while I am allowed to harvest as many animals as I want?

Spy
10-06-2013, 10:19 AM
This is the way I see it. This proposed road block is as racist as some of the posts on here. If they were going to turn all races away that would not be racist but they are only planning on turning non native hunters away. That my friends is as racist as it gets. Lets get the media involved, I will email Sun News and see what comes of this. Guaranteed no other media outlet will cover it.

bosca
10-06-2013, 10:24 AM
All political and racial sqabling aside....if the issue is moose populations then, as many have said, the moose hunt should be closed to everyone until populations are reestablished.
FN must realize that keeping the hunt open to only there own destroys their credability.
I guess the meeting hasn't taken place yet so we shall see.
My biggest concern would the hoopla and delay when it comes time to reopen the hunt.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Yeah I agree. I wish that the government would sit down and hash these things out instead of trying to ignore it and hope it will just go away. Alot of things should have been dealt with eons ago but continue to be a hindrance.

Right. No government(at least in this province) will touch wolf control unless a species is threatened. Maybe the Chilcotins can take care of that?? i know they have brought in expert trappers to train the local people on trapping wolves.

One thing the government does know is that the decline in moose is not from licensed hunting.

SSS

bud-aboom
10-06-2013, 10:33 AM
I am an avid hunter married to a status Indian. 100 years ago there was no moose in the caribou. They are a non-traditional animal here. The only reason they moved south is because of the white mans logging efforts. Moose eat hard wood mostly willows. Walk through a pine forest u won't find any. All the feed is a result of the removal of the trees. Moose live in swamps and cut blocks not dense pine forest. As a man who sees both sides I be leave in management and this happens through hunting. Weather it be predator control, leh or other means. Everyone should be held to the same standards.

frenchbar
10-06-2013, 11:27 AM
all I know is if you have 2 different parties .trying to be in control of something your going to have problems ...The gov and the band are going to have to get together and get the right people to nail down the root of the problem..if the moose need to be shut down in that reg ..then shut er down ..if they think predators are the root of the problem ..then work at ridding of the them ..other than that ..the problem will worsen and nobody wins in the end .
that is all..

squamishhunter
10-06-2013, 11:49 AM
So if our ancestors (european) invented firearms does that mean only we get guns? Love to see a native harvest the "traditional" way.

DanTheMan
10-06-2013, 11:52 AM
So if our ancestors (european) invented firearms does that mean only we get guns? Love to see a native harvest the "traditional" way.

My thoughts:

edgar11
10-06-2013, 12:40 PM
My thoughts:

You need to know what "traditional" means in 1st Nation Culture. It has more to do with "before" and "after" the hunt as opposed to the actual killing of the animal. Again you need to learn more about the subject and educate yourself before blurting out general statements. I do agree with you about the language part though.

betteroffishing
10-06-2013, 12:59 PM
sure thing edgar , heres what many fn people dont understand . we ALL came from hunter gatherer roots , its in ALL of our traditional backgrounds to kill whichever animal and at whatever time we needed to. as our populations increased and it became necessary to " grow " food instead of relying on the variances and insecurities of hoping mother nature would provide for it us , it became necessary to occupy more and more wild spaces for said cultivation , and in order to allow for the possibility that future genreations could view the wildlife we had at that time as more than fairytales akin to the unicorn , society put restrictions on what and where , and how many of these animals we could kill . this is what allowed our societies to grow to point where circumnavigating the globe and invading foreign lands was not just necessary , but possible.

so to summarise , while i can certainly apreciate my ancesters traditions , i dont need to kill cow's and calfs out of season in order to do so , in fact , to not do so , arguably shows a greater appreciation of their efforts. So here i sit at home , the day after an unsuccessfull long days hunt after watching a cow and calf , several; does and a bull with just a possible third on one side ( possible enough for me to pass it up , even if it was in season ) i am actually forced to re think my idea of a " successfull " hunt. to me and in honor of my ancestries traditions , it was a complete success , i was able to do the right thing for more than just selfish old me and hold off on breaking the rules designed to ensure that future generations will enjoy the chance to have what i used to view as an " unsuccessfull hunt " i sincerely hope more and more of you and yours get a chance to see the same paradigm shift.

Spy
10-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Well put Better off fishing.

Sleep Robber
10-06-2013, 01:22 PM
You need to know what "traditional" means in 1st Nation Culture. It has more to do with "before" and "after" the hunt as opposed to the actual killing of the animal. Again you need to learn more about the subject and educate yourself before blurting out general statements. I do agree with you about the language part though.

So the next time the Neah Bay tribe wants to kill a whale tell them to make a canoe or two before hand, make all the ropes, make the harpoons, and have at er, then be ready to see a few of them drown as that is what usually happened.

instead of,

Using modern day zodiacs with twin outboards, 20 modern day scotsmen for bladders and a 50 cal gun, then letting 99% of the whale left to rot on the beach.

C'mon man, I get the Native rights but don't try and tell me it's all about the before and after, they take what they want and that is that, but it's not all their fault as the white guys in Ottawa still pull the strings, everybody else is just a puppet.

I'm sure a few white dudes on here would be out blasting moose all year long if they had the right to, some on here are probably more "jealous/envious" rather than just pissed off.

Jelvis
10-06-2013, 01:47 PM
The religions the whites brought to New Found Land seperated people into groups
They brought Mother Mary and Jesus to people they called heathens.
Catholics and Protestants and their still seperating the mass of humanity into groups
The Europeans saw Canada and thought it was India. They were off course.
So the whites called the locals Indians because it was supposed to be India
Imagine if they were looking for Turkey.
Jel .. Tall ships, short ships who gives a ship lol. it ain't changing soon

betteroffishing
10-06-2013, 01:47 PM
too true sleep robber . in fact there is more tradition honoring to be had in learning how past peoples of n america made rope and dug out canoes and carved the bone down into harpoons than there is to be had in launching a zodi and killing a whale to watch it rot. but then part of me believes that the allure for most fn people isnt actually in the traditions of harvesting what you want when you want , its in the exersize of doing what only they are allowed to do.

edgar11
10-06-2013, 02:03 PM
sure thing edgar , heres what many fn people dont understand . we ALL came from hunter gatherer roots , its in ALL of our traditional backgrounds to kill whichever animal and at whatever time we needed to. as our populations increased and it became necessary to " grow " food instead of relying on the variances and insecurities of hoping mother nature would provide for it us , it became necessary to occupy more and more wild spaces for said cultivation , and in order to allow for the possibility that future genreations could view the wildlife we had at that time as more than fairytales akin to the unicorn , society put restrictions on what and where , and how many of these animals we could kill . this is what allowed our societies to grow to point where circumnavigating the globe and invading foreign lands was not just necessary , but possible.

so to summarise , while i can certainly apreciate my ancesters traditions , i dont need to kill cow's and calfs out of season in order to do so , in fact , to not do so , arguably shows a greater appreciation of their efforts. So here i sit at home , the day after an unsuccessfull long days hunt after watching a cow and calf , several; does and a bull with just a possible third on one side ( possible enough for me to pass it up , even if it was in season ) i am actually forced to re think my idea of a " successfull " hunt. to me and in honor of my ancestries traditions , it was a complete success , i was able to do the right thing for more than just selfish old me and hold off on breaking the rules designed to ensure that future generations will enjoy the chance to have what i used to view as an " unsuccessfull hunt " i sincerely hope more and more of you and yours get a chance to see the same paradigm shift.
So ..........Its in your culture and traditions to provide for hundreds of people for ceremonies such as funerals? You feed your dead? You need animal hides, hooves, feathers for spiritual/ceremonial practices? I get it that you need/want food for your table but to hang a head on your wall? Or to kill an animal for the thrill and not even eat it? You have no idea about our spiritual/cultural practices so who are you to judge? So your casual hunting trip is just that while others are out there for completely different reasons. You do not know. You come to one conclusion and thats that. Every person is different and I am not one to judge unless I talk to them first hand. So, if you do not have a lot of money and your uncle just died are you going to look just for a 4 point buck or spike moose to feed all of the people coming to your uncle's funeral? Some people hunt for the Elders who cannot go out and hunt for themselves. Think about it.

Surrey Boy
10-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Is your name surrey boy or Bigot Boy?

That's a violation of forum rules. At least for regular members.

betteroffishing
10-06-2013, 03:05 PM
So ..........Its in your culture and traditions to provide for hundreds of people for ceremonies such as funerals? You feed your dead? You need animal hides, hooves, feathers for spiritual/ceremonial practices? I get it that you need/want food for your table but to hang a head on your wall? Or to kill an animal for the thrill and not even eat it? You have no idea about our spiritual/cultural practices so who are you to judge? So your casual hunting trip is just that while others are out there for completely different reasons. You do not know. You come to one conclusion and thats that. Every person is different and I am not one to judge unless I talk to them first hand. So, if you do not have a lot of money and your uncle just died are you going to look just for a 4 point buck or spike moose to feed all of the people coming to your uncle's funeral? Some people hunt for the Elders who cannot go out and hunt for themselves. Think about it.

not sure what you think you know about me , but i know that i know nothing at all about you. it just gets my goat a bit when i see obviously educated and inteligent people willfully misrepresenting the truth in an effort to further an flawed agenda. contrary to popular beliefe , not all fn hunters are doing so to feed their dead ? nor are they doing so to tann hides , nor are they doing so to collect skins and feathers for ceremonial purposes . in fact id suggest that as many ( percentage ) fn hunters hang the trophy portions of their kills as do canadian hunters . now onto who am i to judge . i am just a hard working guy who has an opinion that obviously , and by a considerably large margin , disagrees with yours.
oh and lastly , even though i have to follow rules , and check seasons and count points , ocasionally i do have success and harvest an animal . on said occasions , after butchering and packing the animal myself , i also tend to share my game with family who can not hunt for themselves . see we are not that different after all . main difference is i get that fact whereas you seem to be quite ignorant of the fact . peace out.

ruger#1
10-06-2013, 03:06 PM
That's a violation of forum rules. At least for regular members.
Yes, But you are irregular, Maybe some Imodium would help.

Jelvis
10-06-2013, 03:19 PM
We are hunters that is what we have in common first of all, we like to hunt when we can get out in the fall.
One hundred percent of us on here enjoy Mother Natures planet and we dig hunting.
.. We are all hunters on here we are a community made up of many individuals
Some are very zealous and some are laid back and most are in the middle somewhere

betteroffishing
10-06-2013, 03:39 PM
right you are jelvis . trouble is it doesnt end there . evidenced by the existence of this thread some of us outdoor loving hunters of animals believe their rights superceed those rights of some others of us outdoor loving hunters of animals and so long as that thaught process is encouraged by our authorities and upheld by our courts we can expect ever growing animosity from the one group towards the other . sad , but necessary.

139grainsofhell
10-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Any one know where the fn are selling the 10$ sockeye this year or have they already dumped the ones they couldn't sell into the bush??

r106
10-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Any one know where the fn are selling the 10$ sockeye this year or have they already dumped the ones they couldn't sell into the bush??

This has nothing to do with the topic in this thread. Comments like that kinda make you look foolish

Jelvis
10-06-2013, 03:54 PM
You woodn't have the guts (pun intended) lol, to say that to those native gil netter fisherman on the river bank lil bore to their faces hahaha. I dare yah grains lol
Beside there known locally as fraser river turkey's. ok few grains of brains lmao.

139grainsofhell
10-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Lmao sorry fellas just stiring the pot

ruger#1
10-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Lmao sorry fellas just stiring the pot
What? With a baby spoon.

Jelvis
10-06-2013, 04:01 PM
You live in Kelowna grains or William Head lol hahahahahahah.

Sleep Robber
10-06-2013, 04:07 PM
I don't think he's old enough to live at William Head yet Jelly, lollol

Grow up or beat it grainboy

Surrey Boy
10-06-2013, 05:00 PM
This has nothing to do with the topic in this thread. Comments like that kinda make you look foolish

It's the general topic, not the specific one of a racist roadblock. The overall theme of truth and justice needs all examples of misconduct to be recounted.

r106
10-06-2013, 05:06 PM
It's the general topic, not the specific one of a racist roadblock. The overall theme of truth and justice needs all examples of misconduct to be recounted.

I agree with the comment he said but the intent was immature and even the guy that posted it said it was just to stir the pot.

Jelvis
10-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Some wondering internet hot shit lol, prolly jumps all around the net looking for reassurance. lol.
Lacking in some area lol. Lil burnbraincells lol. A teenage know it all.
Prolly from Lytton or Hope. hahah
Jel..Insaneinthemembrane..

TRIPALM
10-06-2013, 06:31 PM
just came back from region 5 ,after having our camp robbed losing $5000 ,worth a few years back i think getting a leh every 15 years if lucky is a fair trade to the locals they own the land the wildlife ,and apparently what ever else i own ,time for our own blockade to towns ,schools ,hospitals

gutpile
10-06-2013, 06:44 PM
A blockade at the lquorstore, see how that would turn out ?

two-feet
10-06-2013, 09:39 PM
I have greatly enjoyed this thread even though there are no great pictures of dead animals.

It brings up an issue that very much needs to be resolved in our province and country, the use of our natural resources and the native claim to control of their traditional territory. Enbridge anyone? Prosperity?

As always, there are ideologues on both sides of the argument that will hold fast to their beliefs no matter the information presented to them. And then there are the moderates that can see both sides and preach patience, restraint, a negotiated settlement. It makes for good reading.

Where do I stand? I feel natives have an unquestionable legal right to hunt and fish their territories. I feel this is at times abused, sometimes badly. I think the decline of moose in the Chilcotin is a disgusting failure on the part of our wildlife managers which is exacerbated by hunting by whites and natives alike. I also feel heartsick for the poor slobs who have planned an entire year for the (legal) hunt and get turned away. I feel terrible for the families in the Chilcotin that rely on moose meat for the winter and will find slim pickings.

How to be resolved? Contacting your elected official is a good place to start. Racial slurs, threats of violence and arguing with your fellow passionate hunters wont help.

Hopefully the moose make a recovery.

EvanG
10-06-2013, 09:44 PM
some one who holds am leh for the area and encounters a road block should file a complaint with the bc human rights tribunal, since your are being prohibited from hunting based on race. throw the whole thing back in their face.

Jelvis
10-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Evan makes a good idea suggestion, read it above. Then tell us whad yah tink?

DanTheMan
10-06-2013, 10:13 PM
some one who holds am leh for the area and encounters a road block should file a complaint with the bc human rights tribunal, since your are being prohibited from hunting based on race. throw the whole thing back in their face.

That is a good idea but nothing will come of it. Didn't you know that you can't be racist against white people?

Jelvis
10-06-2013, 10:28 PM
It wood shine a light on any persons right to use a valid LEH tag in the tags mu.
They have a right also.
It could be worth a try IF you get turned away which I would doubt anyone wood try doing that to valid LEH holders.
Even I can see some validity in this for LEH winners for these type of things.
Could put it in a proposal. If you did turn around and left because of an illegal roadblock the LEH holder should be given another LEH for next season for a place of your choice.

brutus
10-07-2013, 06:57 AM
They want it let them have it,see how long it take for the moose population to be completely gone,then they will have nobody to point fingers at but themselves.but then again they will claim more territory because they clean out those ones.they need to stop living in the past and to evolve like the rest of the country is doing.

adriaticum
10-07-2013, 08:33 AM

Should be done absolutely.

Lionhill
10-07-2013, 08:39 AM
just came back from region 5 ,after having our camp robbed losing $5000 ,worth a few years back i think getting a leh every 15 years if lucky is a fair trade to the locals they own the land the wildlife ,and apparently what ever else i own ,time for our own blockade to towns ,schools ,hospitals

Which area of 5?

You should make a report to the CO's in Kamloops, and the RC's in 100 Mile.

LH

finngun
10-07-2013, 09:04 AM

i 'm very hesitant leave camp alone if we are camping anywhere near where 'some road hunters' are driving around aimlessly...no incuerance covers items taken
from the camp,,,without lock ins.:cry:.

Phreddy
10-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Don't get me started on the aboriginal topic. It's Monday morning.

EvanG
10-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Should be done absolutely.

I spoke to a lawyer last year when this issue came up and he said, you absolutely should file a complaint, but the only issue was I didn't hold and leh my self so I wasn't directly affected. Therefore someone who has an LEH and has been turned away at a road block needs to file the complaint.

frenchbar
10-07-2013, 05:36 PM
maybe the Gov will buy the LEH holders a side of beef ....:mrgreen:

.300WSMImpact!
10-07-2013, 05:44 PM
It wood shine a light on any persons right to use a valid LEH tag in the tags mu.
They have a right also.
It could be worth a try IF you get turned away which I would doubt anyone wood try doing that to valid LEH holders.
Even I can see some validity in this for LEH winners for these type of things.
Could put it in a proposal. If you did turn around and left because of an illegal roadblock the LEH holder should be given another LEH for next season for a place of your choice.

yes bow down to them, I would say if they dont hunt any moose as well then I agree, the native have caused this issue, they dont get to pretend to solve it

Jelvis
10-07-2013, 06:18 PM
The Indians in the boo there are hunting other animals also not just moose
The younger braves have dads that hunted all their life up anaham
And Grand Dads that hunted the wilds of anaham
They talked of (his story) long ago and how many hunted and never saw moose.
Hardly a wolf was seen either,next to no wolves.
Lots of bears, foxes, furbearing animules, deer and caribou but no moose or wolf
The old timer rocked in his chair and said, no wolf or moose back in the 40's son.
Then Rocko the young future warrior king, stood up, rock was the great grand son of an Uncle of Old Hunter who said, " No wolves and no moose is what I'm sayin my brother's grandads great grandson."
The Rock jumped up and said, "Old Hunter what happened to all the moose I'm taking heat in school because some guys are blaming the natives for no moose."
Oldtimer looked at Rock and said,"Sit down young warrior, I tell you truth not from fork ed tung, when whiteman cut all the trees down up by Prince George and logged out Willys Pond from Willys to the Ocean these homely lookin animals called moose moved down and into here, and then my son saw dah moose for dah very first time." Moose walked down from PG and Terrace thru the slashed clearcuts."
Then the Rock stood up and smiled a wide grin baring his teeth, and said "OldHunter has given me His Story." Now I can tell Bozo at school."
So Oldhunter says, Young Warrior, the moose were never here til whiteman cut clearcuts from PG to Hope. So then what's the deal on all these people saying wolves are taking over the area? Oldtimer looked out the window towards the meadow and said, Young strong brave, the wolves followed the moose. Rocco was shaking and staring like his eyes were on fire
That's it Rocco said, we get blamed for no moose and lot's of wolves and we never had moose or wolves at all in the first place before whiteman cut all clear cuts from PG. "You git it Rock" said Old Hunter your not just beefcake hay Rock you got smarts.
This is the shortened story of how the moose population where they never used to be in the first place until some people decided that BC dint need any trees on land between PG and Hope and then they spread all over where they wood have never ever bin.lol.
Then they wonder why there is more wolves around, ahh what, confusion of delusion.
P.S. Rocko was given an award at school for (his story)

ianwuzhere
10-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Has anyone even seen a road block or is everyone just bored/tired of getting skunked??
This whole thread reminds me of a bunch of hens gossiping aimlessly while getting their hair done at a salon.

Whonnock Boy
10-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Has anyone even seen a road block or is everyone just bored/tired of getting skunked??
This whole thread reminds me of a bunch of hens gossiping aimlessly while getting their hair done at a salon.

And yet you keep coming back to read more of it. It's simple, you don't like it, don't click on it. :?

ianwuzhere
10-07-2013, 06:46 PM
And yet you keep coming back to read more of it. It's simple, you don't like it, don't click on it. :?

Yup, all i keep reading is the same stuff- so im guessing thats a No?

brutus
10-07-2013, 07:49 PM
how would you know what goes on at the hair salon????? you like hanging with the girly do you????lol

Surrey Boy
10-07-2013, 11:36 PM

Moberly Lake last year during Idle No More. Supposed to move a logging camp south of the Peace Reach, but got cancelled due to a native roadblock. Should have been a good 20 hour day, but made nothing. Do you know how much booze $780 can buy (I spend my cheque on rent, groceries, gasoline, and TAXES, but I'm putting it in terms the offenders can comprehend)?

Jelvis
10-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Watch out Surrey Boy they will get you hooked on "Firewater" too.

Surrey Boy
10-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Watch out Surrey Boy they will get you hooked on "Firewater" too.

Jelvis, I drink with a couple indians often enough. They work with me, and they work just like anyone else, and nobody holds it against them that they're indian. But they show up to work on time, every time, and they work as hard as everyone else, every day. None of them has complained about making a substandard wage; they get the same rate as everyone else. The thing is, nobody calls them Indians, because they act like the rest of us. They have names by which they're known, and cellular phone numbers which dispatch calls them at. These men are decent people, not 'special' or 'unique' as if they require special treatment.

Jelvis
10-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Surrey I hear yah and I appreciate what your saying people like you and them who work hard play hard too. I have great respect for your dedication on and off the tuff jobs you young people do together.
I feel that some like to hang with people who make the same amount of money each year after year. So they understand each others cost of living standard.
Some people don't strive for big jobs with big money, some don't like striving at all. Some do some don't, some will some won't.
Jel .. good post anyways S boy

Spy
10-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Jelvis, I drink with a couple indians often enough. They work with me, and they work just like anyone else, and nobody holds it against them that they're indian. But they show up to work on time, every time, and they work as hard as everyone else, every day. None of them has complained about making a substandard wage; they get the same rate as everyone else. The thing is, nobody calls them Indians, because they act like the rest of us. They have names by which they're known, and cellular phone numbers which dispatch calls them at. These men are decent people, not 'special' or 'unique' as if they require special treatment.

Yup that be the truth of it. Did these people not do & threaten the same shit last year? I know of guys who were stopped at a native block a couple years back & were turned around & could not access their Griz hunt. MOE issued them another LEH the following year after they complained. People of any race blockading roads illegal, report it.

adriaticum
10-08-2013, 08:43 AM

I hope they make chiefs of their tribes.

Phreddy
10-08-2013, 11:23 AM
These men sound like what is needed throughout the country. No special treatment, but equal pay for equal effort. The ones that seem to be bitching all the time, if they were white, would be called welfare bumbs. As I once heard someone say, "Get off your ass, pick up your shovel, there is no promised land!", as opposed to Moses speech in the Bible to the masses, "Put down your shovels, get on your asses and I will take you to the promised land."

GoatGuy
10-08-2013, 05:23 PM
I people want to drive change they better get on their MLAs case - those are the people in control of developing solutions, but will only do it if poked and prodded. For the last 3 decades MLAs have neglected wildlife because hunters didn't contact them.

218 letters to MLAs would go miles farther than 2,222 pages on HBC - just saying.

Jelvis
10-08-2013, 05:44 PM
MLA's are prolly on this site looking to see what hunters in all of their area are beetchin about. Keep up to date and see the posts as they go.
Hunters have a voice when you go to vote firstly, then the cards and letters but hay. MLA's keep up on their issues from a to z.
They read, they think they grow with the flow, the majority rules.
Just remember when you talk which party they represent in your riding.
Federal and Provincial have offices in Kamloops.
-- it should be decided on scientific fact by the Pro Bio's not based on ideology.
Not shaking and carrying on like an emotional wreck because you dint see a moose
when you went up on a long weekend.
.. It's time to grow up and go to TRU University and find out the proven scientific facts
Not whining and crying about it and point fingers at everyone else but your own sorry ass tronomical comments of uneducated armchair qb after the fact, use tact.
Jelly Viss .. yah can't dazzle with brilliance --- so yah baffle with bullshit
lil cheese with that whine? Just jokin don't be chokin.

srupp
10-09-2013, 09:59 AM
has anyone actually encountered a road block?..just curious...I have some time to go deer hunting in a area blocked off...

steven

GoatGuy
10-09-2013, 10:30 AM
MLA's are prolly on this site looking to see what hunters in all of their area are beetchin about. Keep up to date and see the posts as they go.
Hunters have a voice when you go to vote firstly, then the cards and letters but hay. MLA's keep up on their issues from a to z.
They read, they think they grow with the flow, the majority rules.
Just remember when you talk which party they represent in your riding.
Federal and Provincial have offices in Kamloops.
-- it should be decided on scientific fact by the Pro Bio's not based on ideology.
Not shaking and carrying on like an emotional wreck because you dint see a moose
when you went up on a long weekend.
.. It's time to grow up and go to TRU University and find out the proven scientific facts
Not whining and crying about it and point fingers at everyone else but your own sorry ass tronomical comments of uneducated armchair qb after the fact, use tact.
Jelly Viss .. yah can't dazzle with brilliance --- so yah baffle with bullshit
lil cheese with that whine? Just jokin don't be chokin.

This is misdirected/uninformed advice.

Jelvis
10-09-2013, 10:34 AM
I don't think so guy, TRU University is getting well known for it's accuracy on goals

GoatGuy
10-09-2013, 10:47 AM
I don't think so guy, TRU University is getting well known for it's accuracy on goals

TRU might be, Jelvis not so much.

burger
10-10-2013, 07:26 PM
This is my favorite line.

“The Yunesit’in Council expects it to be peaceful and largely educational; it is meant to fill the void of non-regulated hunting that the province has endorsed by undermining conservation.

Non regulated??? We are talking about non FN resident hunters right?

Jelvis
10-10-2013, 09:50 PM
I wood think just guessing the reasoning is and it's not mine but it seems to be if there are no moose to hunt, why is the moe letting people hunt them?
People are saying on here also there's no moose left to have a hunt but then have LEH
So this native fella says, if you have LEH then there are enuff moose to hunt right!
So they say yah there is according to the provincial government so it's limited tho
So if there are not many moose to have GOS but enuff for LEH.
So who should get those limited amount? The native guy seems to say.
You can get emotional and all and vent and rant but who get's those limited amount of meece?
Jaylo .. see if you can get the gist of the mist if not, start rantin.

The Dawg
10-10-2013, 10:02 PM
They say logging is a huge part of the blame for the decrease.
Yet they are NOT stopping loggers.

Makes no sense...

Jelvis
10-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Logging is what got them here in 5 remember, you heard a million times,
" Yah well those natives woodn't have moose if we dint log every tree from here to PG eh?"Creating habitat so the moose started walkin down the open slopes all the way to Chilly Whack."
If we woodn't have logged those moose wood not a bin here big fella.
How soon we forget and put the pg boot in our mouth again lol
Make up your mind lol. your sittin on a picket fence lol

Pemby_mess
10-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Well if they were stopping loggers, I imagine the RCMP would be in the middle of it pretty quickly - and they probably know that. I think this about making a bit of a point towards the general public and previous attempts at blocking industry related resource extraction haven't been met with too much public acceptance. I would imagine that the FN in the area get at least a little bit of the action when it comes to logging as well.

Jelvis
10-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Loggers aren't supposed to carry to hunt when working in the forestry on the job?
Not sure but the natives ain't going to stop the local loggers.
Who knows until you go there?

DanTheMan
10-11-2013, 07:36 AM
Maybe they'll try to stop the wrong hothead, see what happens then.

They only way I could ever support a blockade like this is if they also stopped their own people (equality, lol) from taking any animals as well.

Ozone
10-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Newfoundland seems to have figured out the solution

Stone Sheep Steve
10-11-2013, 08:17 AM

No wolves????

SSS

PointMan
10-11-2013, 09:41 AM
No Natives, they killed them all off. Look up the history of the beothuk Indian.

jessbennett
10-11-2013, 12:17 PM
yes some of the roads are being blockaded to logging. the road to big meadow camp is blocked last i heard. and starting this weekend, both the bridge on the 700 rd at lees corner and farwell canyon will be blocked.

srupp
10-11-2013, 01:36 PM
hmmm Lees Corner I can see and understand... Farewell Canyon is NOT on reserve land that's EXACTLY why the rd was moved 10 or so years ago the last EXTORTION ATTEMPT at the loggers

steven

Big Lew
10-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Do you expect the Gang Ranch bridge to be blocked as well? If not, going through the Gang toward Lee's Corner or elsewhere south of the Chilcotin River is faster anyway.

srupp
10-11-2013, 02:24 PM
don't expect Gang to be blockaded...not heavily moose hunted..limited $@@^&^ willing to sit out on some lonely rd IMO..

steven

JCWaterfowler
10-11-2013, 07:23 PM
So I'm heading into scum lake tomorrow for my leh moose hunt does anybody see me being hassled getting to my cabin with my quad and gear?

Jelvis
10-11-2013, 10:38 PM
I would go and hunt your valid BC hunting moose tag.
I would be confident in my governments ability to keep the peace.
You are a qualified hunter you have won an leh moose tag.
You paid for it and it is yours and only yours
Now go and assert your right to hunt a 100percent legal hunt.
Go and use your rights don't let words on the intra web scare you too much
You got that coveted tag and you get out there and fill it if you can
Jel .. assert your right to hunt .. you got a tag so fill it the best you can
Stand up for your rights it starts with you

Surrey Boy
10-11-2013, 10:41 PM
yes some of the roads are being blockaded to logging. the road to big meadow camp is blocked last i heard. and starting this weekend, both the bridge on the 700 rd at lees corner and farwell canyon will be blocked.

Good to see you back!

jessbennett
10-11-2013, 11:19 PM
the only place that the gang ranch is blocked is the road to the big meadow cow camp. the last i heard anyways. and as far as the bridges are concerned and being blocked it was in the tribune a few days ago.

JCWaterfowler
10-12-2013, 10:21 AM
I am really disappointed:cry: that I CAN NOT cross the bridge with my ATV and LEH for region 5-4. Yes the bridges are being monitored and hunters and quads are not being allowed to cross the bridges. I spoke with rcmp in alexis creek and there is nothing they can do! :( all this effort to plan this trip after years of applying for the leh and I cant make it happen such a shame !! So I wont let this ruin my vacation...... look out mr bull elk in region 4 I m on my way!!

Ambush
10-12-2013, 10:55 AM
DEMAND an RCMP and CO to accompany you to the blockade. It is illegal to interfere with a legal hunt. Laws are being broken and charges can be laid. Insist on pressing charges!!!

Just going away grumbling is the reason that nothing is ever done. We can only blame our own inaction for the misery we are being forced to endure.

Maybe a large group of hunters should go and force a confrontation!?!? Time for a "Legal Hunters" counter-protest!

Whiterock
10-12-2013, 11:09 AM
I know Im being naive,,,but can we at least start some sort of on-line petition,( a respectful one ), and try to at least get some politition somewhere, to open their eyes and do something.As much as I like the confrontation option,,,its not the way to go. This 2 rule thing has to stop, before someone gets hurt (which will happen), or there is no fish and game left, (which will happen ).

srupp
10-12-2013, 11:18 AM
DEMAND an RCMP and CO to accompany you to the blockade. It is illegal to interfere with a legal hunt. Laws are being broken and charges can be laid. Insist on pressing charges!!!

Just going away grumbling is the reason that nothing is ever done. We can only blame our own inaction for the misery we are being forced to endure.

Maybe a large group of hunters should go and force a confrontation!?!? Time for a "Legal Hunters" counter-protest!

I agree..dont waste the opportunity..RCMP AND CO/S Len Butler...VIDEO AND HAVE CHARGES LAID IT IS AN OFFENSE...or they win by default..

steven Rupp

Weatherby Fan
10-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Yup only a matter of time before there's a serious disagreement and the shootin starts !

Hopefully someone snaps some pictures or video of the blockade's.

TexasWalker
10-12-2013, 11:44 AM

X2 if people keep letting this happen it will never stop.

Stand up for your legal rights and force the RCMP to do their job!!

Jelvis
10-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Someone has to make an official complaint on paper and sign it, so the leo's can deal with it. So make out an official report and then the sheet hits the fan.
It's up to an individual to sign it. Then you'll need to be interviewed by at least three different people. You'll need proof, names, numbers, dates, hours and what where when why and how. No pun intended lol.

TRIPALM
10-12-2013, 07:06 PM
we should go to the other side of bridge and hand out the other side of the information pamphlet ,12 months hunting ,shooting pregnant cows in february seen it ,sad to hear of people finally getting a draw and being denied access

huntcoop
10-12-2013, 07:23 PM

That is SO true. If only I lived closer, some of you local hunters NEED to go there and push the envelope. Standing pat is NOT the answer, get out there and be a pain in the ass. Call the Mounties and CO's and tell them that your going hunting.....time to get together as a unified front and fight back. Enough is enough!

JCWaterfowler
10-12-2013, 07:59 PM
As much as I want to make a point I don't want to be made an example of! I have a beautiful family that I love dearly and no way will I put myself in harms way or sacrifice myself for a moose then. Sorry guys call me coward or a chicken but I have to much to lose. I don't have pictures but really I'm alone and since it's 8 to one my chances are not good. And the feeling is pretty irri when surrounded so the best bet for me was to turn around and carry on to a different plan. I guess I should of called rapp but I thought the RCMP would of helped. Anyway I'm in creston now and in a community that welcomes hunters and respects there rights . I will make a formal complaint when I get home no time to waste since my vacation time can't change now. I

betteroffishing
10-12-2013, 09:00 PM
i am so sorry to hear all that jcw , these racist turds are winning . it is just too disturbing to even get straight in your head about it all . the local , and btw national , law enforcement just told you to find a comfy seat on the back of the bus. and they dont even see that thats exactly what they just did , nor do they see just how offensive it is. when this all boils over , and it will , maybe not this year , maybe not next , but it will , i just hope that somehow storries like this are part of the public record so that the rcmp and their political directors will be shown to have been the spark which ignited the powderkeg. pure and simple b-llsh-t.

remington666
10-12-2013, 09:20 PM
you are definetly not a coward jcwaterfowler,some people dont like confrontation but i do :twisted: ,my hunting party is heading up to big creek next saturday to hunt deer we have two doe tags and dont plan on letting them go to waste .I hope the rcmp step in by that time but if they dont we plan on heading in through farewell canyon ,does anyone know for sure that they are blockading that bridge also,there is alot of logging traffic through the canyon and i dont see the loggers halting production for this roadblock .one last question for those turned around at these roadblocks were the natives armed ?

Darksith
10-13-2013, 09:41 AM
how are they barricading the bridges? Is there a vehicle blocking it? Are they there 24/7? Any lawyers on HBC? We should launch a class action lawsuit against the band...hit them in the pocket books

remington666
10-13-2013, 09:56 AM
my hunting party and i are heading into that area next saturday ,we will be leaving langley at about 8am so we will arrive in williams lake between 2-3 ,if there is any groups or hunters that would like to meet somewhere along the way and join us crossing the bridge as a CONVOY .we will not be heading there to start trouble but if the natives do start trouble maybe we can have some decent numbers to prevent any law abiding hunters from being harmed .also if any hunters would like to join my group in big creek for some deer hunting PM me ,we need to stand up for our right to legallly hunt . this is complete bullsh*t

hawk-i
10-13-2013, 10:23 AM

I doubt very much there are many First Nations people still hunting that are 140 years old, so your observation is a non issue. A 30, 40, or 50 year old FN person has only been here as long as any other canadian of the same age. Try going back to Europe or Asia and claim a hunting right in the country of your ancestory and see where that gets you. This ancestral rights crap has got to stop sometimes....now seems like a good time to me!
If they turn you back at a bridge to stop you from hunting,that is interferring with a legal hunt plain and simply and should be charged accordingly!!! enough is enough!!!