PDA

View Full Version : Moose sheds

gcreek
10-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Having a friendly argument with with my 2 coast hunter friends tonight. Doesn't matter who's right or wrong.
To lazy to look up the rules.

Is it legal to pick up moose sheds in BC without a permit?

KB90
10-03-2013, 09:56 PM
sheds yes, skulls no

f350ps
10-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Absolutely!!! K

Sofa King
10-03-2013, 10:05 PM
why wouldn't it be?
once they are sheds, they are simply debris on the forest floor.

gcreek
10-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys, I was sure it was legal but it seems to me there was something about leaving them for the squirrels and porkypines as a calcium supplement a few years back.

I DO like being right!!!

Doolie, you might call a skull or a poached carcass debris on the forest floor also. Maybe even a nice 6 ft. windfall cedar log.

Drillbit
10-03-2013, 10:24 PM
I posted a picture of a pile of moose sheds and no Black Helicopters showed up

The queen lets us peasants have few rewards, but that is one of them

Drillbit
10-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Hey gcreek, will be out hunting your way tomorrow. Any places I should hit for a good chance of shooting a wolf?

pm if you want. Not interested in anything with horns, just claws.

Sofa King
10-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Thanks guys, I was sure it was legal but it seems to me there was something about leaving them for the squirrels and porkypines as a calcium supplement a few years back.

I DO like being right!!!

Doolie, you might call a skull or a poached carcass debris on the forest floor also. Maybe even a nice 6 ft. windfall cedar log.

not the same, I know that.
I was referring to what you were asking, just sheds.
heck, even wood isn't allowed to be picked up and used in the campfire around shuswap lake.

Whonnock Boy
10-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Remembering back on the thread of hunter1947's, he was not allowed to keep the skull of a ram he had found. The province deems it theirs. One reason the law is in place is so poachers do not go out and shoot a ram for retrieval later. Why would antlers be considered any different? I know when my partner and I asked the CO when stopped in Empire, he said that we were not allowed to pick up anything including deer sheds, or ram skulls.

Sofa King
10-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Remembering back on the thread of hunter1947's, he was not allowed to keep the skull of a ram he had found. The province deems it theirs. One reason the law is in place is so poachers do not go out and shoot a ram for retrieval later. Why would antlers be considered any different? I know when my partner and I asked the CO when stopped in Empire, he said that we were not allowed to pick up anything including deer sheds, or ram skulls.
I would think sheds are vastly different than a skull.
with sheds, it's pretty clear that there was no way they were from a possible poached animal.

gcreek
10-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Hey gcreek, will be out hunting your way tomorrow. Any places I should hit for a good chance of shooting a wolf?

pm if you want. Not interested in anything with horns, just claws.

Stop by in the morning and we'll meet. Have my Father in Law's Memorial to attend in the afternoon.

bridger
10-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Except in the mk

KB90
10-04-2013, 08:16 AM
I know when my partner and I asked the CO when stopped in Empire, he said that we were not allowed to pick up anything including deer sheds, or ram skulls.

Either you misinterpreted what he said, or he did not know what he was talking about.

You are allowed to pick up shed antlers.

davet
10-04-2013, 09:33 AM
in summer i found an moose skull, not antlers just the skull, and no other bones. It was bleach white, is it illegal to keep that?