PDA

View Full Version : Sowaqua Overnighter

TESKELLY
10-03-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm heading up solo on the Sowaqua FSR early Saturday morning until Sunday night. Wondering if anyone knows of a good spot to camp for the night as I've never been up there.

303Fan
10-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Once you get in there you,ll see areas on your right that's good for camping

Moe.JKU
10-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Watch for cougars, i have been tracked there once and seen one another time. They release the problem ones from the city there.
Also you will need to get up high right now and its pretty steep.
Havn't camped but there is places for you to pitch a tent, or where i would. nothing fancy but little clearings

Litzodd6
10-03-2013, 03:35 PM
couple of my buddies were up there early sept, said they were loggin hard up, just a little fyi

takla1
10-03-2013, 06:22 PM
once in past the big hill the road splits to the right 15 to 20 k in ,cuts back heading downhill you come to a bridge over the sowaqua,you can camp next to the bridge.took more than a few spring bears in there from that base camp but that was before all the logging went on about 5 yrs back.hikeing up or down river can be productive

Steeleco
10-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Was only a couple years back when one member here bumped into tree planters the had been chased out of the area some 20km in by a Grizz. Keep your eye's pealed!

TyTy
10-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Road is campable (goods and flatish) around 11km. Head to richmond main, prolly find the first decent spots around there (abou 13km ish)

TyTy
10-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Once you get in there you,ll see areas on your right that's good for camping

Hahhahahahaha

birosj
10-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Next exit up at Carolin mine. Lots of camping there. 5 min drive back or if you are on a quad just take the power line trail back. And yes, go high country there.

mungojeerie
10-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Explored the Sowaqua quite a bit last year, was pretty impressed with all I saw up there, some nice areas. Took a few grouse out, saw 3 moose, one of which was a bull with cool antlers that I called right up to me... I had to wave and give him a shout to stop him moving... was pretty cool. Never found any deer with bone on their heads during my explorations there, found lots of cool spots to camp, and ran into two young native fellows on a quad who said they were looking for elk... claimed they had glassed a total of 3 grizz in two different spots the day before.