PDA

View Full Version : Where are the closed gates?

Farquharson
10-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Hello all,

I am a long time lurker and first time poster.

I'm new to hunting in BC although I have lived in the Lower Mainland for >10 years. I always go back to my home province of Alberta to hunt white tail and Elk with friends and family.

The first thing that has held me back here has been not having local buddies who are also current hunters. Fortunately, that's changed and I now have a few partners to choose from who have similar style to me: basically safety, ethics, and fun as priorities.

The other thing that's held me back is that I'm not so much of a road hunter. I have nothing against the folks who spend all day running FSRs on a quad or in a pickup looking for deer; I'm sure it's a blast and I have loved every quadding trip I've been on. But I like to separate my motorsports from my hunting.

The type of hunting that I enjoy most involves integrating with the environment and moving quietly over land under my own power -- preferably off a road. I like hearing the birds wake up at first light, and I like listening for snorts in a clearing that I can't see into yet, feeling the wind shift across my face.

The Alberta foothills are a walking hunter's paradise: endless acres of mixed trees and open fields, low rolling hills, no rain in the fall, and much of it closed to motorized access. You can spend a week stalking and never cross the same place twice, and I do most years.

On the coast, the equivalent to an open field seems to be a clearcut and those by definition all have road access as near as I can tell.

I have seen beautiful country between Merritt and Kamloops, and from the 97C that I would love to hunt. I have also hiked and canoed Wells Gray a fair bit and am tempted to hunt it as well.

Unfortunately my job gives me very little vacation and only lets me get away on weekends. So a 300km drive to get to my hunting grounds is both time and cost prohibitive.

Anyway thanks for tolerating my long preamble. On to the question:

Can anyone possibly point a newbie to spots in or around the lower mainland (maybe as far east as Hope and as far north as Pemberton) where they know of a closed gate, bridge out, or a foot-access-only deactivation?

I think that this would be my perfect spot: driveable within an hour in the early morning, then accessible only on foot so relatively quiet and private.

If spots like that are rare as hens' teeth and jealously guarded, I'll understand. But if someone could give me a tip or start me scouting in the right direction it would be much appreciated!

thanks,
Farquharson

PS What do you call a Canadian girl who can't sing? Justin Bieber.

Farquharson
10-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Well I guess I have my answer.

There was no offense intended with this question. I guess there either aren't any, or folks keep information like this close to the vest.

Which I can understand!

Farquharson

Singleshotneeded
10-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Well I guess I have my answer.

There was no offense intended with this question. I guess there either aren't any, or folks keep information like this close to the vest.

Which I can understand!

Farquharson

Well if I still lived down in the LM one of the places I'd check out would be Pinecone...go to Squamish, head east on the Mamquam FSR to the end, and you get to the trailhead at Pinecone Provincial Park. The trail goes east and winds up in the Pitt Lake drainage. Might be an interesting place to hunt...it's just a walking trail.

Sasqman
10-02-2013, 10:42 AM
I dont think that people are trying to keep areas hidden...........................theres just so many out there. If you just get a backroad mapbook and find an FSR drive out there and start exploring, you will find them. Lots of roads out towards harrison, deroche. Try Chehalis lake FSR, Harrison west FSR, Harrison East FSR..........chilliwack lake valley. There may not be gated roads everywhere, but you will find them...................as well as many deactivated spur roads that go for 10s of kilometers where you can park, get out and start hiking. Even though I dont big game hunt yet, I try and get out every weekend and explore old areas and new areas. I think people just want to see someone getting out and putting the time in the local areas before they start sharing info. There are many productive and beautiful spots within the fraser valley.

Paul

Farquharson
10-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Hi Paul, Singleshotneeded, and the two guys who sent PM's,

Thank you very much for the replies.

I should have mentioned that I have spent (some, not a lot) of days in my truck and on my dual sport running the Brittania FSR, parts of the Birken FSR, the west side of Harrison, the Sowaqua FSR, and probably some others that I've forgotten now.

The driving I've done is part of why I came here: my experience was lots of pistol and surplus casings on the ground, road hunters, recreational ATVers, and not many gates or deactivations that I noticed that I thought would stop a quad. (I'm sure they were there but I probably missed them.)

A couple of weekends ago I rode my bike through a deactivation on the Brittania FSR (south fork) and up the road a bit. When I came back there was a guy in an F150 setting up a target on the deactivation berm. The road that I was on was downrange of a shooting lane; good fun. Would not go back.

I've also scouted Pinecone, and for quite awhile it was primary my plan for hunting the lower mainland. What's holding me back is that I will need to walk 2-3 hours uphill to get north of Dennet Lake where it's legal to shoot. A 30 minute drive plus a 3 hour walk before and after a day of hunting makes for a potentially long day. I'm not lazy, and love to walk, but if I'm in before sunrise and leave after sunset it makes for 20 hours in the field; aka 1 day per weekend rather than two.

My current plan is to join the archery range in New West and bowhunt lower Pinecone next fall -- UNLESS I find a spot that I can park a truck and go walkabout in relative peace.

Thanks again for the tips guys; I will burn some more gasoline and keep a sharper eye out for The Road Less Traveled.

Cheers!
Farquharson

Iron Sighted
10-02-2013, 01:08 PM
There are lots of spots to hunt throughout BC that are only accessible by foot, however, much of it is steep and thickly vegetated.

Look at Proguide66's trophy blacktail thread he started and check out the terrain in his video, no vehicle is going in those places, but it isn't easy going either. I definitely get how you feel though, I have had to do a bit of exploring where I am in order to get away from trucks, quads, and side by sides, I haven't seen many people up here hunting on foot in my part of 7-B.

luckofthedraw
10-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Welcome to the site, nice job slipping the joke in there.

I am out in the fraser valley all the time and have been real surprised at where I run into other people sometime. The lower mainland, and BC in general is filled with outdoor enthusiasts. A ton of general day use users will be in the forest on rainy days, especially if your only out on weekends. This will get less and less as the weather gets cooler, keep your eye out and try to head out mid week.

Rob Chipman
10-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Easiest and maybe closest is the Mamquam/Indian River FSR. Drive up to where the bridge is out and walk to your heart's content.

Farquharson
10-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Thanks!

Some friends were up there two weeks ago but I had to miss the trip. I'll check it out.

On a side note I enjoy your posts over at VREAA and VCI. The lower mainland is a small place!

brian
10-02-2013, 06:46 PM
I feel your pain, hunting out of Vancouver is no fun. Just a note, last year Coquitlam decided to restrict the discharge of bows. If I am not mistaken this new bylaw would encompass the lower parts of Pinecone that are within Coquitlam's city limits (ie out to Dennet). If so you're SOL with your Pinecone bow plan. You could plan to hit the Sea to Sky corridor north of West Vancouver's city limits. Plenty of deer crossing signs and hiking trails out that way. Or you could hike the vertical kilometer up the mountain side to get out of the no shooting zone.