PDA

View Full Version : Snaring Snowshoe Hares in BC

Rackem
10-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Wilson, Doug J FLNR:EX (Doug.J.Wilson@gov.bc.ca)

Sorry, Ellen, got distracted by the proximity of lunch......here’s everything you might want to know about snaring bunnies.

Sent: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 11:40 AM
To: Wilson, Doug J FLNR:EX
Subject: Snaring Snowshoe Hares

Hi Doug, below is my generic response to people that ask if they can snare snowshoe hare under the authority of a hunting licence:

It is not illegal to snare snowshoe hares in BC. However, the person using the snare must be a licensed hunter, abide by open seasons and bag limits, and the snare must be non-braided and less than 20 gauge and without a locking device. However, please note the following regulations pertaining to the trapping of fur-bearers (note that snowshoe hares are not considered fur bearers, I have copied the below legislation to make you aware that if you incidentally snare a furbearer you may be in offence):

Wildlife Act

Hunting and licences
11 (8) A person commits an offence if the person traps fur bearing animals unless he or she holds a trapping licence.

Prohibition within a trapline
41 A person commits an offence if the person sets a trap for, hunts, kills, takes or captures a fur bearing animal in an area of British Columbia unless the person
(a) is a registered holder of the trapline for that area,
(b) has written permission of a registered holder of the trapline for that area,
(c) is the owner or occupier of the land,
(d) has written permission from the owner or occupier of the land, or
(e) holds a permit to trap that is required by regulation.

Designation and Exemption Regulation
Fur bearing animals
16 The following mammals are designated as fur bearing animals:
(a) Canis latrans — coyote;(b) Canis lupus — wolf;(c) Ursus americanus — black bear;(d) Castor canadensis — beaver;(e) Lutra canadensis — river otter;(f) Ondatra zibethicus — muskrat;(g) Vulpes vulpes — fox;(h) Alopex lagopus — Arctic fox; (i) Vulpes macrotis — kit fox.(j) Urocyon cinereoargenteus — grey fox;(k) Martes americana — marten;(l) Martes pennanti — fisher;(m) Mustela erminea — ermine;(n) Mustela vison — mink;(o) Mustela frenata — longtailed weasel; (p) Mustela nivalis — least weasel;(q) Tamiasciurus hudsonicus — red squirrel;(r) Tamiasciurus douglasii — Douglas squirrel;(s) Glaucomys sabrinus — northern flying squirrel;(t) Gulo gulo — wolverine;(u) Lynx canaensis — lynx; (v) Lynx rufus — bobcat;(w) Procyon lotor — raccoon;(x) Mephitis mephitis — striped skunk;(y) Spilogale putorius — spotted skunk.

If you were to incidentally trap one of the fur bearers listed above in your snare you would be in offence of sections 11(8) and 41 of the Wildlife Act.

Other legal methods of hunting a snowshoe hare include by the use of a firearm and archery equipment. A hunting licence is sufficient/required to use a killing snare for snowshoe hares in BC.

d6dan
10-01-2013, 02:32 PM
So, what's your point?

Rackem
10-01-2013, 02:33 PM
I can do it!

d6dan
10-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Then fly at it!.

adriaticum
10-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Bunny killer

thunderheart
10-01-2013, 05:38 PM
I can do it!

i bet you can .... remarkable woman there annie

ruger#1
10-01-2013, 05:38 PM
I can do it!
So can I and have taken lots by doing it.

sawmill
10-02-2013, 03:48 PM
And I got busted and fined $250 for it 5 years ago.Brass wire,in season and with a hunting liscence.I`m still pissed off.

Rackem
10-02-2013, 03:50 PM
And I got busted and fined $250 for it 5 years ago.Brass wire,in season and with a hunting liscence.I`m still pissed off.

What was the fine for?

Rackem
10-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Bunny killer

Better than a bunny boiler...
http://rebloggingdonk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/goes-great-with-brussel-sprouts-au-terre.gif