PDA

View Full Version : Mcnab creek elk draw

proguide66
10-01-2013, 10:16 AM
So I get 'this call' from a neighber who apperantly has a problem with a monstrous horse shoe wedged deep up his crack. " I have a tag for Mcnab and my logger buddies have a monster 7X7 on ice for me , wanna come film it??".......... UMMMM.......gee , let me thinkaboutitOHEFFIN-K !!

Now , me being a ruthless 'slightly mentally challenged' 'bone chaser' , my 'simple mind' goes straight to , " I wonder if theres a bigger one , maybe we should look around a bit".

Question is , anyone had the luck of hunting in there? is there typically a few 'unreal' bulls in there or do you take ' THE' first ' BIG one you see??? Is there 'normally' 1 monster running the show??

nuadixion
10-01-2013, 06:00 PM
So I get 'this call' from a neighber who apperantly has a problem with a monstrous horse shoe wedged deep up his crack. " I have a tag for Mcnab and my logger buddies have a monster 7X7 on ice for me , wanna come film it??".......... UMMMM.......gee , let me thinkaboutitOHEFFIN-K !!

Now , me being a ruthless 'slightly mentally challenged' 'bone chaser' , my 'simple mind' goes straight to , " I wonder if theres a bigger one , maybe we should look around a bit".

Question is , anyone had the luck of hunting in there? is there typically a few 'unreal' bulls in there or do you take ' THE' first ' BIG one you see??? Is there 'normally' 1 monster running the show??

There are monster there...and quite few herds with "Cesars"

Here is picture of a 8x7 that friend of mine got at Mcnab Creek.
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/lysy20001/media/head_zps9fe7473f.jpg.html

I own a cabin there and rent it to hunters during the season....very often I hear stories of "monsters" hanging around...but getting them is another story.
I hunt the area for bears, goats and deer...and occasionally see those marvelous beasts.....but as I say getting to them is not easy. Last year I have NOT heard of one successful elk hunt at Mcnab. The weather tend to be very harsh; terrain is not friendly either ...lots of heavy rain and cold winds.....most hunters are simply not ready for it. You need lots of time for scouting and planing your kill. Hunters there tend to underestimate it.
You can see them, smell them, tracks are all over the creation........

TheProvider
10-01-2013, 06:05 PM
I think its depends on the loggers definition of "monster" I imagine though they had a pretty good idea of the local herds. Just depends if they have an idea of what a monster is. After all someone called in about a moose in Squamish simply because it had a big rack haha. No matter what it will make some sweet footage possibly add some wicked sheds to the collection. Also sounds like your neighbor might be stealing horse shoes from your place!!

10-01-2013, 06:32 PM
I would probably take a nice 7x7. I'm not too selective with elk. With mule deer I'm ultra selective, and as such, haven't shot one in years

Squire
10-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Look back at 'humblehunter' if you want to see the real potential of McNabb Cr bulls.

Squire
10-01-2013, 07:22 PM
On second look it is pretty comparable to Nuadixion's friend's bull. Both huge.

BlacktailStalker
10-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Thats a pretty young bull, there will be bigger bulls than that in there. It's nice don't get me wrong but as far as mature goes, he's not there yet.
Sweet, be a good hunt to film for sure.

proguide66
10-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Apperantly the guys have been seeing 4 every day , one is an apperant 'beast'...hope there's at least a 'bit of a hunt' to it !! lol

nuadixion
10-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Apperantly the guys have been seeing 4 every day , one is an apperant 'beast'...hope there's at least a 'bit of a hunt' to it !! lol

....nobody is hunting there yet; until first shot goes off you will see them everywhere....I am sure you will have Fun :) logging activity is recent, so they might be more used to human traffic now.

Blair
10-02-2013, 09:41 AM
There was a report on here a year or two ago about a successful McNab Creek hunt. If I remember correctly, it was a very nice bull. If I remember correctly, he shot it late in the day across a valley and had to retrieve it the next morning. I can't seem to find the report searching on "McNab" but I definitely remember it. Someone on here will remember who it was.

MB_Boy
10-02-2013, 09:49 AM
There was a report on here a year or two ago about a successful McNab Creek hunt. If I remember correctly, it was a very nice bull. If I remember correctly, he shot it late in the day across a valley and had to retrieve it the next morning. I can't seem to find the report searching on "McNab" but I definitely remember it. Someone on here will remember who it was.

Is this it Blair? That pic of the quad on the boat sure looks like Howe Sound, searched it as McNabb with 2 "b's". :wink:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?41257-Region-2-monster-8-x-8-bull-elk-down&highlight=Mcnabb

d6dan
10-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Is this it Blair? That pic of the quad on the boat sure looks like Howe Sound, searched it as McNabb with 2 "b's". :wink:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?41257-Region-2-monster-8-x-8-bull-elk-down&highlight=Mcnabb

That's the one. The lucky draw winner was the "Dudes" buddy. BTS and I knew the area right away, but were asked to delete what we posted. I think the hunter was from Squamish?.

BlacktailStalker
10-02-2013, 12:35 PM

If there's no excitement just add, "Day 13.... Last morning" to the beginning of the last scene like they do on many shows LOL (true story)

Blair
10-02-2013, 02:22 PM

Yes, that is the one I remebered. It was longer ago than I thought. That is SOME animal isn't it?

nuadixion
11-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Is there an end to this story......? I would like to know what the final result is.
thank you.

TheProvider
11-09-2013, 10:47 PM
There's video somewhere

yama49
11-09-2013, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=nuadixion;1412886]Is there an end to this story......? I would like to know what the final result is.
thank you.[/QUOTE

http://youtu.be/LR3td_iOcKM

The Silent Stalker
11-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Great video.

nuadixion
11-10-2013, 11:33 AM
very nice video......i would not mind to hear the story behind it.
thx

hunter1947
11-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Most areas do carry a monster elk the one clip of that 7x8 this bull is a shooter very nice bull my guess is he is into his 5th year and yes there are some cankers in every area this 7x8 showen in the clip if held out for a bigger bull might of had tag soap is it worth it ?? heard of a few hunters with a Roosevelt LEH having tag soap the end of there draw ,, my thoughts is he did a smart thing taking this Roosevelt bull ,,congrats to the shooter of this bull will look great on your wall.