PDA

View Full Version : Has the moose rut kicked in , reg 5

mikek blacktail
10-01-2013, 07:10 AM
Just wondering if the moose have started rutting , were leaving for 5-1 tomorrow and I'm hoping it has ???

carps19
10-01-2013, 07:34 AM
A friend of mine just cut his tag on Sunday on a monster! He'd been hunting pretty hard for 10 days and it was going to be his last day out. He was able to call it in so I am assuming they are in full swing, however, most people I've talked to in the area aren't seeing many bulls. I've been out a lot and haven't seen one moose so you can expect to work for it. Good hunting!

brutus
10-01-2013, 08:08 AM
i just came back from 6-08 and most fresh tracks i seen were paired up,did a lot of calling and nothing was coming to the call,last day got the bull to come out from the thick shit after about 15 min of working him,they were paired up,he did not stink to much so my guess is they are just starting,it was still prety warm during the day,leaves are just starting to fall.

coach
10-01-2013, 08:14 AM
Just wondering if the moose have started rutting , were leaving for 5-1 tomorrow and I'm hoping it has ???

In most areas it's in full swing. Apparently in 5-1 the moose have been circulating a memo which favours delaying the rut for up to a month. Best of luck on your hunt anyway. :-D

LYKTOHUNT
10-01-2013, 08:14 AM
I think it is later than usual this year, we normally hear them talking pretty good by Sept 24 but not much this year , we did manage to get two bulls but it was not easy, in fact we saw more Grizzly,s than moose in our area of 5-2, more than I have ever seen before including one sow with 3 cubs and one huge boar..I would guess that by now the moose are more active.

Jagermeister
10-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Practice your cow calling boy. Make it long and pleading for the big stick. Do it on 2 to 4 minute intervals in early morning and late afternoon. Do it for about 20 minutes max and wait about 10 minutes afterward. No response, move on.
Quietly return in the morning to the last spot that you called in the evening before and let out a call and then listen. You may not get a bull grunting back, but you might hear a stick or branch crack as he moves. Ya never know, he could be waiting.
I try to make the repetative cow calls more or less in one direction. I will throw in a bull grunt a few minutes after I have made the cow call sequence.
Good luck and good hunting.

Moe.JKU
10-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Good to know that is starting or already started. Heading up there on Thursday for my first moose hunt. Should be a good experience no matter the outcome. Maybe get a few wolves in to help out the population as well.

Jagermeister
10-01-2013, 09:14 AM
I forgot to mention that 1. have patience and 2. no talking, limited conversation in whispers only. Those ears on a moose are like dishes listening for signals from outer space.

mikek blacktail
10-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Thanks guys my calling has worked many time for me before, guess I sound convincing . I usally have my best luck around he 8th. I'm calling for my daughter to shoot its her draw :)

Jelvis
10-01-2013, 05:30 PM
September 28th most cows are in full estrus, the peak of rut.
The average for BC moose peak breeding day is September 28th.
They started pre rut two weeks b4 the 28th, sept 14.
They were talking weeks ago. Already starting to drop off weakened hormones.
Some can come to a call still but the desire is waning. Cows bred pritty well.

.300WSMImpact!
10-01-2013, 05:40 PM
from an old moose guide he said the best day is oct 15th, I am sure there is rut activity, I was out sunday and the moose sign was all over they were on the move

Cyrus
10-01-2013, 08:48 PM
saw a monster bull in 5-1 tonight all by his lonesome...wish I got drawn this year as it would of been day one tonight...oh well hopefully he makes it until next year.

mikek blacktail
10-02-2013, 07:00 AM
saw a monster bull in 5-1 tonight all by his lonesome...wish I got drawn this year as it would of been day one tonight...oh well hopefully he makes it until next year.
you could always tell me where,my daughter could hunt him in your honor ;)

Sander
10-02-2013, 07:02 AM
I was out west of Tsacha lake fishing and while we were there we saw two bulls,one in the morning and one just be for dark. They were both on the move grunting looking for ladies.We were there two nights and it froze both nights hard.