PDA

View Full Version : my 2013 elk

sparky300winmag
09-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Well after 8 days of hunting elk ,I finally connected. My youngest son and I were spotting from a high vantage point and after about
1 1/2hr we spotted a cow moving across a side hill , I set up my spot scope and watched it for about 15 min and then spotted another cow. My son says do you see that elk higher up the hill. I moved my scope up and it was a bull. It took only a few seconds to see it was a huge 6X6. I told Mitch that I knew exactly how to get to him. We loaded up and got down the mountain to an old skidder road and hiked up to the top of the hill. We were getting close so we stopped now and then to listen , as it was thick brush till we crested the top. Well as we got to the top all I saw were antlers and that elk crashing away, he saw us before we saw it. I ran to see if I could get a shot , but again it got to thick to see. I told Mitch lets get back to our look out and see if we can spot him again. We went as fast as we could down, then drove up again. We got up to our spotting position and glassed the area where the elk was again. Mitch spotted a cow , so we kept glassing. I turned my binos directly down hill from us for a change of pace and there was another bull elk down below. I told Mitch to grab the spot scope and it turned out to be a 6x5. I looked ahead of it there was 2 cows just about to a road and the bull was feeding that way really close to an old skidder rd. I told Mitch lets get down there because it was heading toward the FSR. We boogied down again and got to the skidder rd , I told Mitch to stay back and see if he tries to cross out of my sight and if he counts 6 to take'em if he gets a shot. So I slowly made my way down the old rd and got about 200yrds in and I heard brush moving , I looked to my left and I saw the bull ,not 75yrds away, as I brought my gun up he faced me and I couldn't get a quick enough count to make sure he was the same bull. Well it took him 2 sec to break for it through the brush. I was saying to myself how can this happen twice in 2 hrs, but then I saw him walking parallel to me about 150 yrds away, so I brought my rifle up and saw he was the 6 point and let him have it with the 300wsm , he dropped down but was trying to get up so I shot him again. He went down and didn't move. When I got to him he had taken two in the lungs.
BUT the story doesn't end there, My son called my bro on the radio and said we had an elk down and needed the quad as it was boggy. So my brother said he could be there in an hr , so we told him we would gut it , then go back up and see if we could spot that big 6x6 again while we waited. Well , we did spot it about another hour later . So we radioed my bro again to see how long he would be , my buddy replied they would be longer as my bro arrowed an immature while enroute. So me and my son went after the big' un again. Problem was he was in the middle of some thick brush and we couldn't see it . My other buddies showed up and we split up to try to get it, but they kicked up the bedding cows walking through the Christmas trees , and we spotted the bull barely above the trees and didn't have a clear shot. I plan on taking my sons out after him this weekend. BTW When my brother loaded the immy and drove another 10 km they saw another 2x2 immature on the rd, I had seen him two days earlier but that was the one day I didn't bring my crossbow. Again , we will try for him next weekend.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee157/sparky300winmag/photo1.jpg

buckguy
09-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Congrats. Nice looking bull. Definitely on my to do list next year.

rocksteady
09-30-2013, 07:57 PM
And another EK bull elk takes A dirt nap... Congrats..

Whonnock Boy
09-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Nice work! Sounds like a very exciting day. When it rains, it pours. :-D

Wild Images
09-30-2013, 08:01 PM
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee157/sparky300winmag/photo1.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/sparky300winmag/media/photo1.jpg.html)

4 point
09-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Nice elk. Sounds like you have a good area there where you hunt!

markt308
09-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Right on nice looking bull

kootenayelkslayer
09-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Good stuff! Hope you guys can catch up with that big bull again. Good luck.

Blainer
09-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Wow!
quite the adventure