PDA

View Full Version : Moose Hunting 3-30, 3-39 or 3-28

carps19
09-30-2013, 06:05 PM
We usually hunt in 5-1 but were unsuccessful in our LEH this year. I was looking at Zone 3 as there is an open Spike-Fork bull season. Does anyone have any advice on an area to hit within 30-45 minutes of the Inter-lakes Rona?

hare_assassin
09-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Lots of cutblocks, etc. south of Bridge Lake, down past Eagan Lake, out around Sharpe Lake, etc.

Huge areas. We took a cow and a calf out of there last year. Best of luck finding spike/fork. You'll need it.

Jarrett
09-30-2013, 06:35 PM
few good spots down machete lake rd - past the ranches before the lake...

Jelvis
09-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Bridge Lake area is known for it's moose, deer and fishing. Grouse, birds fish.
Lots of lakes around Bridge lake that have deer and moose around them.
Off "the fishermens" Hwy 24 from Lil Fort to 108.
If you don't see deer and moose in here, hang up your rifle.
This is moose and deer habitat Bridge Lake -- Lone Butte

hare_assassin
09-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Jelly's right. Good grouse up there, too!

doubled
09-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Grew up hunting 3-28 and the moose have thinned out a lot over the last twenty years. They have logged the sh!t out of it and what wasn't logged has been burned. 3-30 or 3-39 would be my bet.

carps19
10-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the input, I spoke with the Fish and wildlife about where the zone actually changes to 3 and they sent me a more detailed map than the one on the regs. According to it, Zone 3 doesn't start until half on Lac La Roche so we are going to try East of Hwy 24. I'll take a deer, moose and even enjoy getting some grouse for the dinner table back at the cabin. If anyone has a specific road to take you can PM me. Good hunting everyone!

hare_assassin
10-01-2013, 07:53 AM
North Bonaparte Rd. runs right along the border of 5 and 3. Anything on the south side of it is legal, and there is all kinds of land, huge cutblocks, etc. to hunt along there.

Google Earth is your friend. Do you have the BC WMU "kmz" file?

hare_assassin
10-01-2013, 07:56 AM
North Bonaparte Rd. runs right along the border of 5 and 3. Anything on the south side of it is legal, and there is all kinds of land, huge cutblocks, etc. to hunt along there.

Google Earth is your friend. Do you have the BC WMU "kmz" file?

By the way, make sure you have a WT tag, too. The only WTs I've ever seen in BC were up there. 5 does in a group, standing right on the road. They acted like Mulies. Just stood there. 2 days after WT doe GOS closed! (of course!)

Gun Dog
10-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Bridge Lake area is known for it's moose, deer and fishing. Grouse, birds fish.
Bridge Lake is in 5-1 and doesn't have a GOS for moose. The line between 3-30 and 5-1 runs along North Bonaparte Road to Hwy 24.

hare_assassin
10-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Bridge Lake is in 5-1 and doesn't have a GOS for moose.

He did say "Bridge Lake area" though.

The line between 3-30 and 5-1 runs along North Bonaparte Road to Hwy 24.

Someone already pointed that out. ;)

Jelvis
10-01-2013, 12:56 PM
MU 3-30 wood be a good spot to go to for moose and mule deer. Plus birds and grouse.
Head off Hwy 24 to the south from the turnoff at Bridge Lake.
go down Eagan/Bonaparte Fsr into 3-30
go down to Hammer Lake to nail -- a bully wooly. Nail it @ Hammer lake.
Check alternate routes into Hammer Lake with a current BC Recreational Road Map.
Know where your going and go where the moose are, travel the backroads in 3-30

carps19
10-01-2013, 03:57 PM
What is a "kmz" file? I've tried google earth but I am technologically challenged and can't seem to get it to work in finding an area I'm not located in.

doubled
10-01-2013, 06:47 PM
What is a KMZ file?

KMZ files are KML files that have been compressed or "zipped" for easier download and distribution. Files with the .kmz extension store the locations of the maps that are used by the Google Earth mapping application.

Sometimes a KMZ file will include 3-D model data that has been exported from an SKP file. When this happens, the model is placed on the map to give users an idea of what the building will look like in that specific area.

Open Google Earth, go to File in the top left corner and click "Open". Direct it to the KMZ file you have and it should open up.

Gun Dog
10-01-2013, 06:59 PM
kmz is a zipped (compressed) kml (keyhole markup language) collection. Clear? It's a file used by Google Earth to connect to the BC provincial map database so you can overlay resource roads, MUs, property borders and all sorts of cool stuff. The one I have doesn't work any more. I assume the BC map database has been reorganized.

carps19
10-03-2013, 07:33 AM
Thanks everyone, I have Google Earthed the area and looked at some of the roads mentioned so I think I should be good. I am buying a Back Roads map for the area as well. Hopefully I'll have some good pictures and even better stories to share when I get back.

Feel free to send me more information as preparation is the key to a good hunt!

russm
10-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Hinted 3-30 last year for a week saw tons of does one spike buck was shot, talked to a guy that got a spike fork bull and saw 1 grouse.....

carps19
10-03-2013, 02:28 PM
What time of year? That does not sound promising, other than the spike-fork bull, but that was the same as 5-1 where we hunted, only less does.