PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette question.

cunneyBC
09-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Someone parked in the middle of a old spur road to block traffic from driving up.

Do you park lower (leaving room for him to get out) and walk the rest of the road into the area he is hunting? or do you take his hint and go to a different area?

Is blocking people from coming up into the area you are hunting acceptable ? is it for safety reasons ? or is it just being selfish?

BlacktailStalker
09-30-2013, 03:40 PM
How much farther did the road go is the only question that matters? Grown in road ? Less than a few hundred yards and no spurs off it, I'd just carry on. If there are any spurs off the road, it is a good road with a landing or turnaround at the end or 'sea of slash' and there is a good length of area beyond he is "hogging", a few roofing nails fits the bill for being a dickhead. Ok I'm all talk and have';t done this but it's crossed my mind :)

Secondly, do you really want to hunt where someone else is anyways ?

hare_assassin
09-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Selfish and stupid. Just asking to get his shit messed with, IMO.

Glenny
09-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Contentious issue. If I see a truck parked by the entrance but not blockng it and I know the road only goes in a bit I will assume someone's in there and wont go in.

hare_assassin
09-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Contentious issue. If I see a truck parked by the entrance but not blockng it and I know the road only goes in a bit I will assume someone's in there and wont go in.

Sure. But if it is blocking access to a whole area and it is obvious that is the point, then I'm not playing the polite guy.

hunter1993ap
09-30-2013, 03:45 PM
I don't block the road but it doesn't bother me when someone does when it ends within a few hundred yards. I would say theres more selfish guys walking past a parked truck at the end of a road than guys that block roads!

Glenny
09-30-2013, 03:46 PM
Yes blocking access to a whole area is not cool.

Glenny
09-30-2013, 03:46 PM
So many variables to this.

cunneyBC
09-30-2013, 03:47 PM
45 minute walk up to the end. In my case I went somewhere else. Just wondering if that was something people did.

Keta1969
09-30-2013, 03:50 PM
I agree with Big Glenny on this one Unless he's blocking a road with lots of other spurs. If I see a truck parked whether blocking or not I move on,Lots of areas out there. Also you never know if it's 1 guy or 3.

09-30-2013, 03:52 PM
I dont let it bother me... got bigger things to worry about.. If its some lil rinkey dink road that goes into an opening and there is nowhere to park except blocking the road... who cares. the guy beat you to the spot... If the guy has a camp set up blocking a road to a whole valley thats different.

You need to ask yourself,,, and i am serious... Are you ok with walking past the truck to go hunting? Where you know full well there already is a guy.
i have seen people block loads of roads but they are all small coastal side roads that go to one spot, and there is no way to park and not block where you are hunting.

So many people get so wound up out there,,, and for the most part its because they got beat to the spot or some other thing. I hunt in the busiest place in BC South Van Isle... and Im never pissed off out there...

CunneyBC.
If you dont think it right dont do it. that is ethics

Ltbullken
09-30-2013, 03:58 PM
If there are other tracks that go off the spur that could be hunted on, this is NOT good etiquette but if it is only one spur, not a terrible big deal with me. If I saw another vehicle in an area that I hunt, I'd go elsewhere anyway.

cunneyBC
09-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Good info. Thanks for the replies.

russm
09-30-2013, 04:07 PM
4 flats and move on....

1980skywalker
09-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Your own judgement on knowing the area sounds like proper etiquette. Knowing it was a 45min walk to the end however tells you that it is probably a pretty good spot, try it again as soon as you can, and try to track the hunter, maybe you can turn a temporary negative into a permanent positive.

decker9
09-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Like mentioned, it all depends on what's passed the parked truck, and I supose what area/region your in, where I'm at there's sooo many different roads, cutblocks, trails, and not many hunters for the size of the area. if ones blocked, drive 5 mins to the next one. On that note, I'd never block a road unless it was a dead end or cut block or something, i think your asking for trouble if you block a main access road, or one that has other spurs coming off of it. Its common where I'm at for people to park and block the road if there's only a km of road left, or a single cutblock passed the truck type thing. Not sure, does that make me ignorant? Lol! I hate lead flying around where ever im hunting, unless its my own. It's alot different hunting up here where there's not as many people kicking around the bush as say down south way, not uncommon to go out and not see a sole all day. But I guess every place is different.

Keta1969
09-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Can't believe some people would suggest vandalizing someone elses vehicle because they got beat to a spot.

GoatGuy
09-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Take a picture, put it on the Internet.

frenchbar
09-30-2013, 04:23 PM
if I know there from pemberton I drop a deuce on the hood and leave ...

decker9
09-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Can't believe some people would suggest vandalizing someone elses vehicle because they got beat to a spot.

X2!! And many more I'm sure. Least if anyone comes back to flat tires, they know where to look first! I always get a kick outa setting up a game cam by my truck, see whos around, you know ;)

Rob Chipman
09-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Whose he blocking the road for? How long for? What if the guy behind him isn't hunting? What if he isn't hunting? Who, in his right mind, parks in the middle of a road unless he wants to claim something that ...isn't his? And if he's doing that he knows exactly what he's doing, and it ain't right.

s0ylentgreen
09-30-2013, 04:59 PM
i dont get it

why would you ever park in the middle of any road?

6point
09-30-2013, 05:02 PM
maybe something ran across the road in front of him and he jumped out and went after it....who cares... find somweres ellse to hunt

hare_assassin
09-30-2013, 05:02 PM

I didn't suggest it, but I know it is quite likely to happen if one uses his/her truck in the middle of a road to block access.

Like others have said, if it is parked near the end of the spur then fair play to the guy/gal. If it is blocking access to a larger area and more spurs then he/she should expect people to be pissed off. Some people get pissed off and leave. Others get pissed off and wreck shit.

Either way, I'm never parking my vehicle to block anything, no matter where I am, because I'm not a f*cking a**hole.

r106
09-30-2013, 05:15 PM
If the road ends in 1 or 200 yards with no spur roads and maybe just one logging block on it then sure block the road. If there are a couple blocks or other spur roads then it's a dick move IMHO.

r106
09-30-2013, 05:20 PM

Agreed. Were supposed to help each other out up there not vandalize each others stuff.

Jelvis
09-30-2013, 05:23 PM
If the road ends within a very short walk, just walk around and keep going if your hikin in.
On a more main one then, if the guy looks like Mike Tyson, turn a round and find another spot, big deal.
If the person is small and older and seems friendly ask em are you renting that spot or whaaaaaa?
Not worth getting a knuckle sandwhich over.
Jelly (Sharp) Kahnuckles will stiff yah, Crack! Right hand, Shimuck left hook.
follow up with a double left hook, Bam Bam! I'll send yah to the Royal Inland
heck I'll send yah to Finland.

r106
09-30-2013, 05:26 PM
if I know there from pemberton I drop a deuce on the hood and leave ...

hahahaha that would be funny

Barracuda
09-30-2013, 05:29 PM
sometimes guys will park a truck on a dead end and hop in with someone else or quad it or park at a trail head and hike in then what\? alot of trail heads lead off to different trails that go on for miles then what? also if you have hiked in and a quad goes past you on a trail then what ? ive seen animals vanish at the sound of a quad or truck only to reappear a couple of mins after the noise is gone. the quad or truck going by could actually be to the foot hunters advantage as a distraction or diversion from the human being on foot. no matter where you hunt someone could allready be there ahead of you and you either dont know or wont know.

frenchbar
09-30-2013, 05:33 PM
hahahaha that would be funny
those guys will do anything to skank the best cutblock...:)

Jelvis
09-30-2013, 05:45 PM
If your on Crown's Land, it's both of yours to hunt. You both can hunt there anytime you want in gos or leh season.
Even out of gos you both can hunt there the same. Equal. Predators etc.
So don't get hung up on ettiquette and think about heading into the forest for a buck. imho
Most hunters don't want to talk with others who they never seen b4.
lol Your out early to hunt not to talk with strangers while it's getting later.
If the road is that important to your hunt and he or she is blockin it, park. hunt in and talk to the person after you hunted and come out.
If your road hunting then it could become an issue because of the road way being public useage. Road hunters hunt on roads.
Jel .. not worth losing hair over ..

wonshot
09-30-2013, 06:01 PM
agreed there are enough douche bags in the bush trying to steal, damage and ruin your hunting experience... If someone desides to be a total dick by blocking any road then does that justify you to take justice into your own hands and vandalize their stuff for being an a$$hole???? Remember KARMA is a BIT@*... it will come back to bite them in the A$$... just my 2 cents

carps19
09-30-2013, 06:14 PM
I agree, can be the sign of a douche or just letting you know he's there. In my opinion I'd rather move on as: if he blocks the road, he may shoot at movement and not confirm his target. No area is worth taking a bullet! Move on and hopefully the hunting gods make him scare a nice buck or bull right into you!

Spy
09-30-2013, 06:26 PM
I park off the Rd dead end or not. Leave a note on the inside of your window,explaining that it is a dead end if applicable,where you are hunting ect. Very important if possible park so there is enough space so that a truck can turn around once they see the spot is occupied. Most hunters will take this oppertunity to turn around & leave you to hunt in peace. If I have done all of the above & a quad/hunter on foot/ truck try and pass me they will have to run me over. There will always be Ignorant hunters or those that dont give a shit about your hunt. I have found most hunters to be very understanding & have always given me my space to hunt.
Good luck out there & remember if you sleep in dont expect to get the spot you want. :-)

Squire
09-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Pop quiz: Forestry roads were built for...? I find blocking a road just as stupid as the guy slowly cruising the roads and doesn't want to let anyone by him. The woods are a worksite for many - weekends too.

Ourea
09-30-2013, 06:42 PM
I seldom comment on this petty stuff.
Common sense and respect simply have no explanation or argument for such rednick behaviour.

There is absolutely no excuse to deliberately block an FSR to control access even if it's close to the end.
No one is that special to expect control over access or be that privileged.

Pointless to get frustrated or vindictive.
Move on or... just park and walk around.

Having said that.....
I saw a vehicle parked in the West Koots last week.

They elected to back on to a bridge with a quad trailer just off the highway...and park. Gun cases were visible in the truck. They elected to block access to ensure no one else could access the endless miles of FSR beyond.
Hilarious!
How brutal is that.

That is another shining example why I am primarily a backpack hunter.

maybe something ran across the road in front of him and he jumped out and went after it....who cares... find somweres ellse to hunt

And 6point.
Stupid comment.

300H&H
09-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Yes blocking access to a whole area is not cool.

X2

I had this happen Saturday. I was up well before light just sitting and waiting to walk in to my spot when 2 guys drove by just as it is getting light and parked almost in the middle of the narrow road I was walking in on. My plans changed and I went "still hunting" above that area but was frustrated non the less.

Parking in the middle or blocking the road is a good way to get your tires cut.

Davey Crockett
09-30-2013, 07:04 PM
It is extremely ignorant to block ANY road in my opinion and i really don't understand the thinking. This type of selfish behaviour only encourages the same.

The same goes for people who would knowingly hunt an occupied area. There are always plenty of opportunities if you find your first choice is taken. Move on and set the alarm a little earlier next time. Get off the road and the options are endless.

1/2 slam
09-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Having said that.....
I saw a vehicle parked in the West Koots last week.

They elected to back on to a bridge with a quad trailer just off the highway...and park. Gun cases were visible in the truck. They elected to block access to ensure no one else could access the endless miles of FSR beyond.
Hilarious!
How brutal is that.

That is another shining example why I am primarily a backpack hunter.

And 6point.
Stupid comment.

Tow rope and pull

09-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Tow rope and pull

Knew a hunter that had that exact experience.........not my first choice of action but l can see why it happened and don't disagree, the hunter had locked up a fair size chunk of prime moose real estate with his parking job and some other hunters objected. Common sense should dictate both parties actions, but then again common sense ain't so common any more.......

Jelvis
09-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Being blocked on the way in on an older forest road not being used anymore much, and it's frustrating but imagine being blocked on the way out? Huh?
Yahh yah gotta B @ work early tommarra?
In is one way out is another.
Jelly toe tally .. you can't get back tonight to town it's dark, your blocked in.

j270wsm
09-30-2013, 08:00 PM
You could always one up them. Set up a trailcam to watch your truck and park right behind them so they can't get out. Might get a little interesting when you get back to your truck though.

Different issue but still a question of ethics. A few days ago while driving home from hunting I pulled over to allow room for another truck to go past, but he decided he didn't want to slow down or move over. So I pulled back into the middle of the road leaving him about 80yds to decide what he was going to do. He worked pretty hard to keep the truck out of the ditch. I stuck around to make sure he didn't go off the road and get stuck, then proceded home. What would you guys have done?

Jagermeister
09-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Selfish and stupid. Just asking to get his shit messed with, IMO.

I concur with this post.
You are pretty well screwed for driving on, but I have been known to park lower leaving the road passable and hunt off from that point. I might end up near where he parked, it would suit me just fine to bag one from under his nose. Then, he feeling guilty for the peckerhead move would offer to help me get the animal back to the road.

Squirrelnuts
09-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Pop quiz: Forestry roads were built for...? I find blocking a road just as stupid as the guy slowly cruising the roads and doesn't want to let anyone by him. The woods are a worksite for many - weekends too.

Thanks for posting this. I hate working this time of year- stuck behind road hunters that think you're trying to scoop them when all you want to do is get to work. Frustrating.

Sofa King
09-30-2013, 08:28 PM
the guy was definitely being a dickhead.
I've come across this a couple times up bear creek road.
people who do this deserve to have their truck messed with, but everyone on here thinks it's wrong to keep $5 that you find on the ground, so i best not condone any wrongdoing.
i agree with other's thinking, i'd rather find an area where nobody's already at anyway, especially the type of person who would block the whole road off.
i'd have to think they would also be the type of person who would steal or wreck one's tcams, etc, as well.

f350ps
09-30-2013, 09:13 PM
I would never mess with some guys shit but I will winch him outta the way, guaranteed! K

proguide66
09-30-2013, 09:17 PM
if I know there from pemberton I drop a deuce on the hood and leave ... This would only confuse a Pemby hunter as we do this a Pemby secret message that " I have gone out , back after lunch' code. The Gilmore family started it years ago.

jhausner
10-01-2013, 09:57 AM
I don't like hunting very near to other hunters I don't know so I'd most likely go somewhere else. If they were in the same spot the next day I'd leave them a note asking them what the deal is and to be more respectful of others.

Now if they blocked me in then it's fair game aka the description of the guy that backed his trailer onto a bridge. If I was caught behind and boxed in, his trailer and/or truck would find its way into a ditch on the end of my 10,000 lbs winch. I personally think blocking any main road is just an ass thing to do regardless (even if you just saw a 300 point super buck run across) and even on side cuts I will pull to the side even if I see a Deer. It's like driving around without seat belts. Call me crazy but I always drive with mine on though one of my buddies doesn't as he says it restricts his ability to jump out instantly and get a Deer if he see it. I always tell him that if I am that desperate to get a Deer that I'm willing to compromize my safety and descency and put at risk my getting home to my wife alive, then I'll quit hunting for good.

Same with parking on any main road, FSR, etc. If I can't take the time to pull to the side, or can't pull to the side at all, then the Deer survives to live another day. Completely different if you're in a little trail or overgrown area. I still like to try and pull to the side wherever I stop just because it is so tight and if someone comes up behind me I'm basically screwing them as it would be difficult for them to turn around.

All goes down to respect imo. Not everyone has it unfortunately but I afford everyone else the same respect regardless. Unless they trap me into an area, then all is fair like I said. I've come close only once to pulling some guys' Jeep into a creek. He got there just as we were pulling out the winch and trust me he got an ear full. He did appologize though which is good. I guess angry armed guys giving you an ear full after you've pulled an ass stunt is enough to tuck your tail and move along.

hare_assassin
10-01-2013, 10:44 AM
I'm with ya most of the way jhausner, but you wear your seat belt? Really?

I do if I am on a main road doing 80, but if I am crawling along an old trail/road at 5kph... no friggin' way.

caddisguy
10-01-2013, 10:54 AM
You could always one up them. Set up a trailcam to watch your truck and park right behind them so they can't get out. Might get a little interesting when you get back to your truck though.

Different issue but still a question of ethics. A few days ago while driving home from hunting I pulled over to allow room for another truck to go past, but he decided he didn't want to slow down or move over. So I pulled back into the middle of the road leaving him about 80yds to decide what he was going to do. He worked pretty hard to keep the truck out of the ditch. I stuck around to make sure he didn't go off the road and get stuck, then proceded home. What would you guys have done?

Not enough info here. Highway or trail? If trail, was he oncoming of passing from behind? Up hill or down hill? If you gave him enough room, why does he need to slow down? How fast was he going? If he could pass you even after you pulled back out, it sounds like there there was plenty of room with you pulled over? Was it a semi? How did pulling back in result in a better/safer situation for you?

2tins
10-01-2013, 10:57 AM
When someone intentionally parks in the middle of the road like they own it, I make every effort to get in to that area. When I see someone parked on the side of a road like a normal person, I leave them alone and find some place else to hunt. Guys want to be a--holes, I will be too.

Dukeoflawnchair
10-01-2013, 11:09 AM
I know everyone here has been mentioning hunting etiquette and ethics.

I'd take it a step further to liability.

I had a situation this last week where a hunter blocked a road and a bridge, not knowing that we had a caribou researcher up there who could not get out.

"I have a right to not have my hunt interfered with" sure doesn't stand up that well while blocking out the people who built and maintain the road (tenure), and things look even worse if you prevent someone from having access to town and hospital.

ruger#1
10-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Just take a crap at their drivers side door. I hope they have carpet interior. Ps Do not leave any toilette paper there.

caddisguy
10-01-2013, 11:16 AM

All sorts of bad ideas in this thread... all based on assumption since for all we know, this could be in a remote area, way up a mountain and the road dead ends in a cut 100m away, or the guy stopped for a bird or a quick deuce. For all these tire slashers know, the guy is up in the cut glassing said slasher and might just be the type who will decide to drive home in slashers truck if they disable his. Hopefully the tough guy attitudes don't venture beyond a recliner surrounded by a few empties. If any of that nonsense started happening it would be ammo for all sorts of anti's.

Aheny
10-01-2013, 12:24 PM
I stopped at the last cross ditch in a road last weekend, it was possible to drive a further 200m, but this last ditch was a bad one. The road only had room for one vehicle, nowhere to pull over, but I still ended up with a note on the door of the truck behind me (He joined me to hunt this cutblock)

It was a couple of young people on a jeep that left the note, im guessing they wanted to shoot the place up or something.

Unless you are familiar with the area, dont assume that someone is "blocking" you, it could just be the end of the line

limit time
10-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Being blocked on the way in on an older forest road not being used anymore much, and it's frustrating but imagine being blocked on the way out? Huh?
Yahh yah gotta B @ work early tommarra?
In is one way out is another.
Jelly toe tally .. you can't get back tonight to town it's dark, your blocked in.

This is what I was thinking!

GoatGuy
10-01-2013, 12:48 PM
I stopped at the last cross ditch in a road last weekend, it was possible to drive a further 200m, but this last ditch was a bad one. The road only had room for one vehicle, nowhere to pull over, but I still ended up with a note on the door of the truck behind me (He joined me to hunt this cutblock)

It was a couple of young people on a jeep that left the note, im guessing they wanted to shoot the place up or something.

Unless you are familiar with the area, dont assume that someone is "blocking" you, it could just be the end of the line

Self-rationalization?

BigfishCanada
10-01-2013, 12:51 PM
I wont ever block unless I jumped out to persue something so it would be unintentional. I will make sure I can be seen parked though so other hunters know im up there

jhausner
10-01-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm with ya most of the way jhausner, but you wear your seat belt? Really?

I do if I am on a main road doing 80, but if I am crawling along an old trail/road at 5kph... no friggin' way.

I have had 2 friends slide off the side of a mountain road in their truck doing 5kph in wet conditions and then barrel down a hill towards trees stopping just short of slamming head on into some giant ones. I have no doubt it they hadn't stopped and hit the trees, 1 or both would have had some serious injuries.

We've also had accidents happen and the issue is if you're 20 minutes outside of a major city then it's no problem, but when you're 80k+ into the back-country, if something major happens, it could be hours before emergency services can get out there. Someone's head goes through a windshield and in Metro Vancouver they may survive, in the bush where we hunt, you start digging the hole for their body.

Like I said, I value getting home safe to my family above getting that next deer. I know I'm a strange one as most hunters are like you and think I'm crazy. The lifejacket thing is more important to me because I've had many friends fall into rivers or fall out of the baot and every single time it was getting close to shore or putting along slowly. Putting along slowly gives people a false sense of the situation being safer.

That and I've never had issues getting animals if I come on them in my truck and have my seatbelt on. Heck I'm out of my truck and able to take a shot quicker than my buddy that doesn't wear a seatbelt more often than not and I'm driving most of the time. It takes 1 second to press the button and bang the seat belt is off. I mean it takes longer to stop the truck and put it into park and if you barrel out of your truck at a mad rate anyway you're more likely to just scare the thing away or be so amped up you miss the shot or do something stupid.

Just me though. ;) It just takes once putting along at 5kph looking to the right and someone comes barreling around the corner at 50+ and slams into you head on.

hare_assassin
10-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Nah, I don't think you are crazy. We all determine our own levels of safety based on what we are comfortable with. I always wear a life jacket, no matter what, but seat belt while truck hunting is just not something I feel is necessary, is all. You are right, though. It doesn't take much to push that button.

Aheny
10-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Self-rationalization?

There is nothing there to rationalize. Stopping at the end of a road isnt wrong

Singleshotneeded
10-01-2013, 01:58 PM
not cool to block an entire large area, as other hunters could hunt other cut blocks in that area, but if the road ends a bit further than it's fine...

j270wsm
10-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Not enough info here. Highway or trail? If trail, was he oncoming of passing from behind? Up hill or down hill? If you gave him enough room, why does he need to slow down? How fast was he going? If he could pass you even after you pulled back out, it sounds like there there was plenty of room with you pulled over? Was it a semi? How did pulling back in result in a better/safer situation for you?

We were on the main FSR. At the location I mentioned, the road isnt wide enough to safely pass another vehicle( travelling either way) at 40 - 60kph. The other truck( flat deck ford ) was coming towards us on a pretty much flat stretch of road. I never said pulling back into the road was the safest or smartest thing to do, but when someone pulls over ( to give both vehicles more room to pass safely ) be respectful and slow down.

caddisguy
10-01-2013, 08:29 PM
We were on the main FSR. At the location I mentioned, the road isnt wide enough to safely pass another vehicle( travelling either way) at 40 - 60kph. The other truck( flat deck ford ) was coming towards us on a pretty much flat stretch of road. I never said pulling back into the road was the safest or smartest thing to do, but when someone pulls over ( to give both vehicles more room to pass safely ) be respectful and slow down.

Yikes! Driver sounds pretty reckless... will probably learn a lesson without intervention. Emotions have gotten the better of me while driving too.

M.Dean
10-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Be nice about it! Turn your truck around, drive about 40 or so yards from the truck blocking the road, and then light a nice big fire which the hunters from the other truck can dry out beside when they return! Make the fire big, real big, put tons of wood on that Bon Fire, the guys could be real wet and cold, so show them some good olde B.C. hospitality!!! I'd stick around just till you see them coming out of the bush, then jump in your truck, keeping your head down below back window level and drive!!! Good Luck! (please note little happy face!)

:grin:

Cami
10-01-2013, 09:56 PM
I think there was a bow hunter writing about almost getting shot last year , when he called in a buck.
If i remember correctly it was one of his first hunts and he called in a buck and a drive by hunter saw the buck and heard the rattling and shot it. So i think sometimes its not a bad idea to block the end of a road. Kind of saver for you and other hunters too and if its just a road what ends after 45 min why would i wanna go there anyways if somebody is already there

BCKyle
10-02-2013, 12:36 AM

Can't believe it took this many posts for someone to say that! Amen. Come on guys, it might piss you off but The Blocker is being a selfish prick, but the Tire Flattener is straight up breaking the law with ignorant vandalism...

Squire
10-02-2013, 07:37 AM
Can't believe it took this many posts for someone to say that! Amen. Come on guys, it might piss you off but The Blocker is being a selfish prick, but the Tire Flattener is straight up breaking the law with ignorant vandalism...

The 'blocker' is committing an offence under both Worksafe and FRPA legislation and regulation. No-one has the authority to deny access to another on crown land. There is no legal method of staking a hunting claim. Hard to believe this still has to be pointed out to so many.

Blainer
10-02-2013, 07:53 AM
The 'blocker' is committing an offence under both Worksafe and FRPA legislation and regulation. No-one has the authority to deny access to another on crown land. There is no legal method of staking a hunting claim. Hard to believe this still has to be pointed out to so many.So that justifies vandalizing his vehicle?

wonshot
10-02-2013, 08:20 AM
The 'blocker' is committing an offence under both Worksafe and FRPA legislation and regulation. No-one has the authority to deny access to another on crown land. There is no legal method of staking a hunting claim. Hard to believe this still has to be pointed out to so many.

Offence or no offence, doesn't mean that vandalizism is the correct answer, move on to another area IMO.. but seems like a double standard to me.. it's ok for some of the indian bands to block the roads and not permit legitimate hunters into areas, or charge an entry fee.... and nothing is done about that, by anybody.

caddisguy
10-02-2013, 08:30 AM

I've never actually heard of tire slashing happening on FSR's, so I'm pretty sure the tire slashing idea only exists in ones living room recliner after a few drinks. I doubt anyone would vandalize, let alone block the road even more, potentially endanger a life by leaving someone stranded, etc. I don't think it was even mentioned whether this was a spur or if the possibility exists that it was actually a worker or some guy who needed to take an emergecy deuce. All talk about doing silly things over silly assumptions.

biggyun68
10-02-2013, 09:12 AM

I am going through this thread and only three respondents actually understand: It is illegal to block a FSR which is a crown right of way! Regardless of reason: That is why Resource companies spend money on building landings and pull outs: That is where you park period. Most also do not understand you are supposed to park facing home (i.e. turn your truck around point it out of the area before you leave it) - If a vehicle is parked at the end of the road where there is a trial or they are blocking right of way - take down their plate, take a picture (if you can) and report it to RAPP or local MOF office - The will probably get a warning from the authorities; however they now are on some one's bad people list if they do it again: This also goes for barricades that are unsigned or locking of gates on public land with out a sign: It is not only hunters who block right of ways: ranchers, miners, salvage loggers, FN and Enviro's all have tried this illegal, stupid and dangerous trick: A: you do not know who you are blocking in and B: Selfishly you have just screwed around the people who may be coming to rescue your selfish butt:
This has happened to me as a Forestry worker and it is more than frustrating - but I am not bitter:-D

07blackwater
10-02-2013, 09:25 AM
There was one guy in my area a few years ago that used to run flagging tape across roads he was down.

The thing is, these were through roads and he never took down his tape.

Door knob.

Husky7mm
10-02-2013, 10:25 AM
What came first, the dick head that block roads or the a$$ -hole that feels he has to drive past everyone albeit sometimes only to drive for the last 300 yards ??? I think most people expect more consideration than they are willing to extend to others. Just saying.... An experienced hunter has seen this type of behaviour and always has a 2nd, 3nd and 4th plan anyways. Gotta be more than one dimensional. Learning how the game responses to other hunters is the key to being successful.

Spy
10-02-2013, 12:41 PM
I am going through this thread and only three respondents actually understand: It is illegal to block and FSR which is a crown right of way! Regardless of reason: That is why Resource companies spend money on building landings and pull outs: That is where you park period. Most also do not understand you are supposed to park facing home (i.e. turn your truck around point it out of the area before you leave it) - If a vehicle is parked at the end of the road where there is a trial or they are blocking right of way - take down their plate, take a picture (if you can) and report it to RAPP or local MOF office - The will probably get a warning from the authorities; however they now are on some one's bad people list if they do it again: This also goes for barricades that are unsigned or locking of gates on Public land with out a sign: It is not only hunters who block right of way, ranchers, miners, salvage loggers, FN and Enviro's all have tried this illegal, stupid and dangerous trick: A: you do not know who you are blocking in and B: And selfishly you have just screwed around the people who may be coming to rescue your selfish butt:
This has happened to me as a Forestry worker and it is more than frustrating - but I am not bitter:-D
Awesome post!:-) This post alone should be made into a stcky.

ravensfoot
10-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Awesome post!:-) This post alone should be made into a stcky.

I Agree, make it a sticky - under - Ethics and Laws

Aheny
10-02-2013, 01:20 PM
That is how I always respond to issues with other people. Report them to people who get paid to deal with/punish idiots.

There is too much personal confrontation in the bush, and you never know who you are going to bump into.

Its very rare to bump into an employee of a company that built a road and have them be aware of how the law works. They dont "own" the road, they own the privilege/duty of building/maintaining it. The majority of gates are unlawful (except for the monstrosity on Vancouver Island, I have no idea how we let that happen)

Pablothemagnificent
10-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Most regions in this province are vast enough that you don't need to hunt the same cutblock at the same time or barrel through on someone else's hunt. Last year, I had a CO drive by me on the edge of a block next to the road. An immy had crossed the road in front of me that morning, so I thought that I'd see if he'd cross again. The CO had checked my licence and all earlier in the day, so he gave me a wave and a nod as he drove by just as the sun was setting. After he passed me, the CO pulled over another truck 100 yards down the road, with the result that the evening hunt was ruined as their voices echoed down the road. In my view, the CO should have suggested that they move a ways away and have their conversation. Etiquette isn't soley a hunter's issue, but also one for the COs to observe as well. It's about having regard for the dignity for other individuals regardless of one's title or authority. For some of us, there are precious few days annually when we can take off work and hunt.

Squire
10-02-2013, 05:21 PM
So that justifies vandalizing his vehicle?

Offence or no offence, doesn't mean that vandalizism is the correct answer, move on to another area IMO.. but seems like a double standard to me.. it's ok for some of the indian bands to block the roads and not permit legitimate hunters into areas, or charge an entry fee.... and nothing is done about that, by anybody.

I reread my posts just to make sure I didn't condone vandalizing idiots' vehicles. Nope, couldn't find it. The only statement I was making was regarding the debate around how much road is OK to block - my answer is clear.

mikeman20
10-02-2013, 10:31 PM
I never intentionally will block a road, ill even park off the side right at the end to leave people some room to turn around. That being said I like to hunt way back in the woods so its pretty damn unlikely that ill see another person.

If i come across another vehicle I go to a different spot. The less people the better for hunting in my eyes, why would I intentionally lower my chances by being close to another hunter?

CRjosh
11-09-2013, 07:49 PM
We had planned to get into some nice alpine timber today when some asshat blocked about 15-20 kms of road. I would totally understand blocking a dead end spur going into a cut-block you want to hunt...but come on, blocking a whole huge area with many different spurs and access points to timber. Pissed me off to the max.
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/madilljt/nov2013013_zps142881ac.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/madilljt/media/nov2013013_zps142881ac.jpg.html)

thick
11-09-2013, 08:04 PM
We had planned to get into some nice alpine timber today when some asshat blocked about 15-20 kms of road. I would totally understand blocking a dead end spur going into a cut-block you want to hunt...but come on, blocking a whole huge area with many different spurs and access points to timber. Pissed me off to the max.
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/madilljt/nov2013013_zps142881ac.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/madilljt/media/nov2013013_zps142881ac.jpg.html)
That's a total dick move, you can see it is a well used main road looking at the tracks in the older snow. Good on you CRjosh for taking a pic and posting it. Idiots like this need to be called out.... How does the Tacoma know that there's nobody camped up at the back end that might need to get out???! Major douche move...

dana
11-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Quite common move if a faller is snag falling a road without a partner.

Sofa King
11-09-2013, 08:15 PM

if that's the case, one would expect a note or sign.
someone doing this should expect to come back to find their truck on four flats.
that's how i'd be leaving it.

Pete
11-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Just another spin on this issue... there are those of us that make our living working in the bush...Logging companies, timber cruisers, trappers all have lawful access to these roads.... Blocking off a road so that they can hunt is not cool, absolutely no respect for anyone. and you wonder why roads get gates put on them.

Mishka
11-09-2013, 08:21 PM

Can't you report this and give them this pic? The plate is quite clear.

BCBear
11-09-2013, 08:35 PM
have winch will travel :)

abbyfireguy
11-09-2013, 09:14 PM
A faller would leave notification, I would find a way around that truck even with my big Dodge !without damaging the Red Wagon of course. I would then also report the infraction and also leave those details on his windshield to give him time to think up a story for the authorities.....
Civil disobedience or vandalism,not a chance, payback to the best extend possible without wasting my entire day, yes sir!!

CRjosh
11-09-2013, 09:20 PM
I am a faller...theres no way any faller is falling a snag alone and without signage in these days. On friday there was a grade hoe working a couple of clicks past this spot.

emerson
11-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Drag it out of the way. If I showed up to work and that shit was in the way it wouldn't be for long.

emerson
11-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Surely someone can track that plate......

j270wsm
11-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Hear is a good reason to never block a road!

To anyone that does the park in the middle of the rd thing. A few years back I was mule deer hunting in a huge cut block at the top of a mountain and about 300 yards from the end of the road there is an atv trail that connects to the forest service rd and goes along a ridge and down the mountain and connects with another rd system. A older man and his wife were out atving that day and were the atv trail and the forest service rd connect she had flipped the quad on her self and broke her hip. We showed up about 15 minutes after she did this. Her husband was a bit frantic and didn't know what to do. there was no way she was getting on a quad and it was about -5 out first week of november.
We taped her legs together and made her as comfortable as possible after putting her in the box of the truck.We got her down safe and sound and to a hospital.

Now What if someone blocked of a road after we came in ?

In that scenario a Big tow rope wrapped around.....well.....what ever you wanted.

Redneck Rocket
11-09-2013, 10:31 PM

That's a sorry-ass attempt at blocking a road. Glad I have a 25 year old F350 with a 3" lift, would just drive around that sucker! Take a piss on the door handles. Job done.

sneg
11-14-2013, 08:09 PM
does not matter if this is main road,side road,spur road or atv trail.. no one should block access. do you want to pass this vehicle or turn around is question of your etiquette.

icecap
11-14-2013, 08:55 PM
That's simply self-fish. The person blocking public access road is asking for trouble. Unless he own the land, there's no reason for him to block the road and hog the hunting land to himself.

GotaGun
11-14-2013, 09:08 PM
1)Not cool to block any roads. I was taught a parked truck means a guy is out there, keep an eye out plus if you go out in his area and he's a bit jumpy he might shot at anything that moves, Remember he's got a loaded gun, don't trust he'll confirm your another hunter before he pulls trigger.

2) messing with a guys parked truck- again he could just be 20 feet in the bush with a loaded gun!!!

aggiehunter
11-14-2013, 09:59 PM
especially when theres hardly any roads or quad trails in BC...

kyleklassen
11-14-2013, 10:08 PM
I dont let it bother me... got bigger things to worry about.. If its some lil rinkey dink road that goes into an opening and there is nowhere to park except blocking the road... who cares. the guy beat you to the spot... If the guy has a camp set up blocking a road to a whole valley thats different.

all those "rinky dink roads" have enough room to turn a logging truck around within' close proximity.....no need ever to block the damn thing.....think about it.

kyleklassen
11-14-2013, 10:11 PM
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/madilljt/nov2013013_zps142881ac.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/madilljt/media/nov2013013_zps142881ac.jpg.html)**** i'd love to see that Saturday morning.....whole days worth of entertainment right there.

kyleklassen
11-14-2013, 10:14 PM
1)Not cool to block any roads. I was taught a parked truck means a guy is out there, keep an eye out plus if you go out in his area and he's a bit jumpy he might shot at anything that moves, Remember he's got a loaded gun, don't trust he'll confirm your another hunter before he pulls trigger.

2) messing with a guys parked truck- again he could just be 20 feet in the bush with a loaded gun!!!he can come out the bush with his loaded gun and point it at me while I drag his piece of shit over the bank for blocking the road...serious.

Salty
11-14-2013, 10:23 PM
That's when I'd want my firewood mode 300 feet of straw line, heavy block and chain. I'd hang the block down the low side and make sure he was well off the road to not be in the way anymore. Wouldn't even charge him for the tow it'd be on me.

rbest
11-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Last year I pulled up to an area that ended a couple hundred yards up the road. I parked off of the road, as one should. I bumped into what would have been my first 4 point. I spent 45 mins on a stalk only to have a guy drive up passed my tuck to the end of the road where I was getting into position. bye bye buck. I was pissed, but what can you do. I always turn around and move on if I see a vehicle in an area. I don't agree with road blocking, specially if it continues for km's and spurs. But I respect someone hunting an area, and I don't want to get shot!

rbest
11-15-2013, 03:26 PM
well I'm sure he is feeling a little sheepish, now that his Red Toyota PU with the License plate is posted up on here!

Iron Sighted
11-15-2013, 08:59 PM
well I'm sure he is feeling a little sheepish, now that his Red Toyota PU with the License plate is posted up on here!

I hope he does, he is an ass. Sadly, most people like that don't feel sheepish for being such an obviously selfish dink, that is exactly what makes them an ass.

aggiehunter
11-16-2013, 10:41 AM
if you know anybody that works or runs a parking lot in Van they have the power to look plate numbers up....

250 sav
11-16-2013, 11:45 AM
On these posts everyone gets pissed at the guy driving past the parked truck by a dead end rd. Sometimes a guy is new to the area and is exploring with no idea which rd goes where or how far it goes.

Salty
11-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Rule number one-Never block a road, never. You could be stopping a low bed from moving in machinery, a falling crew, a rancher, someone in there from getting out, a medical emergency, a miner, a hunter... You get the picture it is just not on and any fool should know that its been 'the way' since Christ was a cowboy. Would you block a road in a town? If you have any indecision on this issue see rule number one.

1/2 slam
11-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Rule number one-Never block a road, never. You could be stopping a low bed from moving in machinery, a falling crew, a rancher, someone in there from getting out, a medical emergency, a miner, a hunter... You get the picture it is just not on and any fool should know that its been 'the way' since Christ was a cowboy. Would you block a road in a town? If you have any indecision on this issue see rule number one.

Very true. I know of a guy who blocked a road like the red truck. Turns out he didn't have a chain saw in the truck. One of the guys he pissed off did. I'm told 8 or 10 trees were fell across the road blocking him in.

bud-aboom
11-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Fall a couple trees behind his truck so he knows he's an asshole!

stosto
11-16-2013, 06:59 PM
use your hunting knife on them tires and he'll never block the road again.

remington666
11-16-2013, 08:26 PM
very well put Salty ,you just never know and its just extremely ignorant and why would you leave your poor truck in harms way ,you would kinda deserve what you got

Caveman
11-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Fall a big ass tree across the road behind him and go find another spot.

rbest
11-18-2013, 10:01 AM
On these posts everyone gets pissed at the guy driving past the parked truck by a dead end rd. Sometimes a guy is new to the area and is exploring with no idea which rd goes where or how far it goes.

If I'm new to an area, I research the area first! Google earth, Back Roads map book, Topo Maps. You should know where your going for so many reasons! How much road is ahead? can you hunt it? is there private property near? safety.... The list can go on and on. 1, you should respect a person hunting a spot first, granted it is the end of the road or near it, 2. don't block a road anywhere, specially if it goes on for miles and spurs out. The last thing anybody wants is an altercation ruining your hunting day.

BRvalley
11-18-2013, 10:17 AM
If I'm new to an area, I research the area first! Google earth, Back Roads map book, Topo Maps. You should know where your going for so many reasons! How much road is ahead? can you hunt it? is there private property near? safety.... The list can go on and on. 1, you should respect a person hunting a spot first, granted it is the end of the road or near it, 2. don't block a road anywhere, specially if it goes on for miles and spurs out. The last thing anybody wants is an altercation ruining your hunting day.

google earth is how many years out of date? how much can change in 1 yr, 2 yrs, even 6 months? backroad mapbooks are riddled with errors...you could easily find yourself relying on those maps, only to find out the real world is drawn differently...

plans change in the woods, find a new road and want to go exploring, bump into hunters and turn around, etc....some guys prefer to pound the computer screen "scouting"....I prefer to get out in the real woods and look around, both on foot and driving....yes I do own a lot of maps and use google earth, I have the backroad gps chip, but they are only starting points, to say a guy should know exactly where he is going, before he leaves the house is not very realistic

the common elements missing from these threads are reasonability, decency and common sense and is substituted with an attitude of self entitlement.....yes, if I get to a spot first I would expect a guy who bumps into me would turn around, common decency...but I don't get pissy about a guy exploring the road, because he "should've known" where the road leads

if you are hunting on crown land it is available for public use, end of story, you should expect to bump into people....

I don't agree with block roads but I do question some of the complaints (not the OP, just a general stmt)....some guys are just too prissy to drive around a truck...I've had guys bitch at me for "blocking" the road....there was plenty of room, they were just too pansy assed to make their own tracks in the snow

rbest
11-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Hey, I'm not calling anyone out! just my two cents. I agree with you BR, nothing better then exploring, get out of your truck and go for a hike! less chance of bumping into anyone! My thoughts are just that I would rather not bump into anyone, or ruin a great day with an argument on who's right or wrong, or who got there first etc. That's great if people want to explore, as long as they have that decency, as most people do! You will always have someone drive up unknowing your hunting in a spot, and as I said earlier back, what can you do? Your right Crown land is just that, and really anyone can go anywhere they wish. The biggest thing is just what you posted BR "the common elements missing from these threads are reasonability, decency and common sense and is substituted with an attitude of self entitlement....." If we all followed that, we wouldn't have threads like this.......So lets share great stories from the hunt. If anyone else reads this, we have a nice Black Tail story from yesterday coming out soon! I'll let the shooter post the details of our hunt and the wicked pics of this beauty region 2 BT

west250
11-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Sometimes it's a choked out road and the only place to park is on it... Typically I consider it rude to park in the middle of a road, especially if there's several kilometers of passable road in front of it. If someone got the scoop on me, I leave the area to them.
On the other end of the scale I consider it rude to drive by a truck who has parked to the side of a known dead end road, essentially just to drive to the end and turn around. Had that happen to us a few times last week after we got into a spot before light (and parked to the side). Fortunately we were well into the timber by then :-D. We had also got there just ahead of another guy who was polite enough to respect the 'first in' rule... Most hunters are ok, there's only a few inconsiderate one's out there.

Mtn Wonderer
11-30-2013, 09:57 AM
This year I was hunting with my boys and a guy parked across the road that had access to
7k of deactivated road, I chose to walk right by the truck and go hunting, as we were going to only 500m
meters further up the road then catch an old spur road that headed into a old burn I like to hunt, the area is steep so I doubted if the other hunter would like go there, turns out I was right spent the whole morning
and never saw the other hunter, when we came out the truck was gone.

I don't think blocking access is cool, what if someone was coming down after spending the night up on the
mountain, just not a good idea.

MOWITCH SLAYER
11-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Right on !!!!

butthead
11-30-2013, 03:55 PM
whats up with getting out of the truck and walking down the road? walk in the bush if your walking you have already scared the hell out of any deer on the road side.
the other day iam gearing up and i here these two guy laughing it up and walking up the road were iam going to be heading i can here these guys a half k away well i get up to these guys and say to the what the F___ i was here first then it was on yah iam on my quad

deadlyshot19
11-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Unacceptable in my opinion, I was up in an area last weekend and came across this exact issue. The road he was blocking accesses a vast amount of area, I think this is a huge safe concern and just plain ignorant.