PDA

View Full Version : A Reminder

Jagermeister
09-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Every year at this time, this mystery comes to mind. This year marks the 8th year that Tom Leonard disappeared in the Spatsizi Plateau Park. His objective was hunting sheep in the Icebox Canyon area.
I knew Tom, albeit not that well, spoke to him on numerous occassions at Cariboo Fly & Tackle. The last I spoke with him was a few days prior to his departure for his epic solo hunt.
Sadly, he was never to be seen again nor has any of his gear ever surfaced.

A link to his page.

http://www.missinginspatsizi.com/

Stay safe out there solo hunters and use your SPOT. Tom did not have one as they were just coming onto the market at the time of his hunt.

caddisguy
09-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Every year at this time, this mystery comes to mind. This year marks the 8th year that Tom Leonard disappeared in the Spatsizi Plateau Park. His objective was hunting sheep in the Icebox Canyon area.
I knew Tom, albeit not that well, spoke to him on numerous occassions at Cariboo Fly & Tackle. The last I spoke with him was a few days prior to his departure for his epic solo hunt.
Sadly, he was never to be seen again nor has any of his gear ever surfaced.

A link to his page.

http://www.missinginspatsizi.com/

Stay safe out there solo hunters and use your SPOT. Tom did not have one as they were just coming onto the market at the time of his hunt.

I'm looking at those now. I like the idea of the SPOT Connect, being able to send custom text messages through it from a SmartPhone. Does anyone know if the device is still functional as a regular SPOT (sending general SOS/ASSIST/OK, etc) without the use of a Smartphone?

Slinky Pickle
09-30-2013, 02:53 PM
The SOS can be done without the phone. Assist, OK and non-emergency requires the phone. None of that requires cellular signal though. Turn your phone on, send the message, turn your phone off.

I have one and it's AWESOME! My son is using it to keep us posted while he backpacks around Nicaragua right now.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail this thread. I truely hope that some evidence of Tom's whereabouts comes to light soon.

Rackem
09-30-2013, 03:01 PM
My hunting partner is up there right now...I bet he knew him...

AltaElkhunter
09-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Must be tough for his family, a little chilling thinking of all those solo trips with the risk always being there that one slip and it would be tough to find a person.

Praying he gets found, and some closure to the family happens.

jonz
09-30-2013, 07:31 PM
In my opinion the SPOT Connect requiring a cell phone with a bluetooth connection for a standard OK transmit is a major design flaw. Otherwise its cool to be able to send short text messages.

buckguy
09-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Thoughts and prayers go out to his family. May they have closure soon. Be safe out there guys.

Bison Fats
09-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Really sad story. As my sons have grown older and started venturing on their own I've remnded them of this story and the potential for stuff to happen. For what its worth we use a Delorme Inreach Satellite communicator that has worked extremely well when away from cell service. The ability for loved ones / family to see exactly where you are at regular time intervals on a topo and be able to text is invaluable.

hare_assassin
10-01-2013, 07:40 AM
With no disrespect intended; sometimes the people who are hardest to find are the ones who don't want to be found.

I only say this because I have a tendency to daydream sometimes about going out into the bush and never returning. Could it be that some of these "lost and never found" people simply decided to opt out?

I've told my wife already that if I ever disappear in the bush that it doesn't really matter whether I am dead or alive, I'll be happy and she'll be wealthy. :D

This way, if anything ever happens, she can think "So the prick has finally done it" rather than go on for years torturing herself about what might have happened.