PDA

View Full Version : Late October Moose Tactics

MuleyStalker
09-30-2013, 09:27 AM
What are your favorite late October moose tactics? I'm going out to try for my first moose along with several good hunting buddies and we need some HBC wisdom:mrgreen: Thanks guy for any input! feel free to PM me.

GoatGuy
09-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Calling can work depending on the situation, but for the most part the bulls will have segregated and will be trying to pack on the lbs as quickly as possible. Usually it's a small patch of habitat that's out of the way - they typically don't move much. Put on the miles, hope for snow and find the little hidey holes they like.

Machinist
09-30-2013, 11:21 AM
I have had sucess watching allong the edges of the Cut blocks early morning and late evening . The best part of the Rut will be done so they are feeding to put on lost lbs during the rut to prepair for winter , and I usually find them on the edges of the timber on the cut blocks either coming out to feed or heading back in at day break. Good Luck

Ltbullken
09-30-2013, 01:36 PM
Find good habitat and call. Prime rut is Sept/early Oct but I've called moose in close into early Nov. Second rut kicks in around late Oct/early Nov for cows that weren't impregnated the first time.

MuleyStalker
09-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I'll make sure to post some pics and tell a story if we are successful

XPEIer
09-30-2013, 05:00 PM
I called in a bull on Oct 23 so dont overlook it. Second, tall timber with a bit of feed in it, they will hold up in there and not leave, you may have to just walk right in looking for them. If you see sign leading into the dense stuff, they may not be far in so go after them.

junkyard_g
09-30-2013, 05:06 PM
2yrs ago called our bulls in oct 16th and oct 20th in pg area. tend to find them in older plantations feeding on willows quite a bit that time of year in our area. old enough where you could see them on a hillside but not on the flat due to tree height. i think they feel more secure in that type of block and will feed later into the morning than in a younger block.

landphil
09-30-2013, 05:57 PM
I've witnessed a bull called in in early Nov in reg 3, while a cow was busy trying to call him back to her. Am planning on repeating that process at the end of Oct. for our reg 5 shared draw, hopefully it goes according to plan.

Ltbullken
10-01-2013, 09:12 AM
The key I believe is to go in to good habitat where the feed is plentiful (willows, small maple, dogwood, etc.), preferably a moist area, close to mature cover - usually a 10 +/- year old cut block with some water/bog running through it. If there is fresh sign, go in early in the AM and in the late afternoon and cow call. Don't drive right on to the area but walk in. I did the same in early Nov and called a bull in - freezer filled.