PDA

View Full Version : Mackenzie or Chetwynd ?

nomad
09-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Going to be up that way around Oct. 20ish. Don't know the area, just up for some work. Talked the boss into allowing a few 'extra' days in there. would like to get out for a hunt!!!! Any and all help in direction, areas, conditions that time of year, etc... would be HUGE!!!! will not have a 4x4 or quad but of course walking/hiking works too.

Rackem
09-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Not familiar with MacKenzie...but tons of places around here to walk hunt...

Sofa King
09-29-2013, 11:51 AM
what is it you are hunting for? more info helps. your chances at a wider variety of game are better around the chetwynd area.

nomad
09-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the replies.. Agreed the chetwynd area just from the regs looks like I'd have a wider variety! Would love Elk as a first priority then moose a close second then anything else to help kill the empty freezer syndrome!!!!!

Striksfromabove
09-29-2013, 09:05 PM
McKenzie is all LEH for moose except spike fork and very few if any elk, some on East side of Williston. Not much for deer either as the winters take most of them out, deep snow.

Without a draw I'd head to Chetwynd or drive a little farther toward Dawson Ck. and get into the Ag. zone with more opportunities, ie. 3 point bull and cow elk, WT buck and does too I believe. 4 Pt. mulie in Oct.

pantsandbelt
09-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Try just a little southeast of dina lake for elk in mackenzie there is elk there just have to be smart about it and you will have a decent chance for a moose and possibly a mulie or whitie you never now with mackenzie

keithb7
09-29-2013, 09:55 PM
I just spent a full week in zone 7-32b agricultural area with tons of open game options. However despite putting 200 + KM on my quad, and another 50 K walking, out pre-dawn back to camp at dark...I did not see one elk, moose, or deer, bull, buck, doe or cow in the entire week. I saw one grizzly. Hope you have better luck.

Iron Sighted
09-30-2013, 08:38 AM
I haven't shot anything yet, but so far I have seen quite a few animals. Driving around on Sat., I saw: 2 cow moose, 2 black bears, 1 bull mountain caribou, 5 mountain goats(2 nannies, 3 kids), a ton of grouse, 2 beaver, and six white tail deer when I was out hiking in the evening, 3 of which were legal single spikes, the other three I saw past legal shooting light and I couldn't tell if they were antlered or not.

Hoping I can find some elk soon, or a legal moose, the whitetails can wait as they are open for another month past the moose and elk.

I should mention that I am no longer in the area shown in my profile, I'm in 7-B now.

Rackem
09-30-2013, 08:54 AM
I see bears daily, wolves often, deer daily, Elk often, Moose often,

Hey Iron Sights, howdy neighbor!

Dhegg
09-30-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm in the same boat as keith. I've spent over a week now looking for the elk. I've seen lots of sign and lots of other game including deer (took a mulie buck with the bow), moose (none legal), bear, grizz, and grouse. Seems I can't find any elk to even look at. don't know if i'm in a bad area? just up here working mon thru thurs and the rest of the time trying to put elk in the freezer.

any help or a point in the right direction would super!

nomad
09-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Well it's sure sounding like a tough go up that way this year!! Thanks again to all for the replies! it all helps paint the picture no matter how ugly it may be, lol!! Still lookin forward to seein some of our northern country. Hear's hoping you guys up there right now putting in the time and miles connect!! Lookin forward to hearing a few more positive posts for the area! May have to just try to connect up with a couple of you Hbcer's while we're there, if any of ya are up for it? Cheers, Grant.../...Nomad

Dhegg
09-30-2013, 01:24 PM
i'm up for it. stop by for a pop! don't know exactly where you're planning on going but you can always PM me.

Iron Sighted
09-30-2013, 01:59 PM
I see bears daily, wolves often, deer daily, Elk often, Moose often,

Hey Iron Sights, howdy neighbor!

Hi Rackem, are you in the Chetwynd area? I'm in Tumbler Ridge, and like you, see deer pretty much daily, everything else I usually have to drive a bit out of town to find. I saw a wolf this morning while looking for moose,but it saw me first otherwise I'd be posting a picture of it before it became a wall or floor covering in my house : )..........next time.

Good luck to everyone like myself who hasn't managed to cut a tag yet.
BTW, does anyone know the name of/ have contact info for the butcher in Pouce Coupe? If so, I'd be grateful if you could P.M. me with it.

SPILTZ
09-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Just got back from the Chetwynd/Dawson area, and did pretty well for the most part. Managed a Cow elk and a Mulie with the bow. But to be honest it was tough hunting, put a lot of miles on the truck/quad and foot. And we heard from most of the other hunters that were in our area were having the same problem, pretty much just got lucky as the elk were not making any noise!(bugling). Saw probably 15-20 bears through out our 9 day hunt. 11 of those in one day. Saw only a few whitie does, lots of mulies, buck and doe. I think in our camp we only saw 4 moose between 4 of us. none legal. Thats all I can think of right now, send me a pm and I'll try to help you out if needed!
Cheers
SPILTZ