PDA

View Full Version : Elk!!!!!

Fred1
09-27-2013, 04:35 PM
OK kids need some help here... I got an elk - well not yet. I know where he is, seen all his tell tail signs, heard him a few times, thought I could smell him but I cant get him to show his face. Hes in some really dense stuff regen, rhodo, thick forest. Tried the usual stuff, cow calls etc Im a bit of a noob to the elk game. (well other than hitting them in the open fields)Whats the best way to hunt the thicker than dog hair bush? Lookin for some tips!?

Rackem
09-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Firecrackers?

Fred1
09-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Anyone??!?!? :(

Darksith
09-28-2013, 03:38 PM
just from reading on here from other hunters...try going crazy with the cow call, more than you would think is wise. No hunting buddy that can sit behind you while you get into the thick and hope he comes right in? Is he in the thick during the evening or mid day? Try to get in there is my recommendation if he won't come to you. Pretend you are another bull and go in for the challenge, it might be crazy enough to work if you can't draw him out with crazy amounts of cow calls. Don't be quiet about it if you go in

Sofa King
09-28-2013, 03:41 PM
I think the best thing is to pm some of us so we can go assess the situation for you.

huntinnut
09-28-2013, 06:44 PM
I would go with another person and get out front about 100 yards from where the caller is cow calling. They will often come in even silent and hold up about 80 yards out. The trick if he doesn't call and let you know where he is, is to guess which way he's going to come in.

ramron
09-28-2013, 07:47 PM
It's a tough nut to crack when the bull has his harem. The cows still have to feed. Find their travel pattern from bedding to feeding and set up on a trail. Fire crackers aren't a option!!

Moose Guide
09-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Try beating up a tree with a big stick!

Fred1
09-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I gave it my last go today.. tough day got caught in a bit of a storm, wind, rain snow falling trees you name it.. less than ideal conditions for anything short of drinkin coffee. The moose liked it though :) I wont be able to get back in there this year... oh well