PDA

View Full Version : Zone 5-12A Moose hunt. Help?!

Ajsawden
09-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Hello There.

A co-worker of mine was lucky enough to pull a draw for moose in zone 5-12A. Her plan was going great getting the draw and all, right up until she realized she had no way to get there. I have offered my services, which really only goes as far as using my truck and equipment as i've never been to this area before.

I have been looking at google earth air photos and things and it looks like the areas has a nice balance of swamps and cutblocks and standing timber (hopefully it's not all gone!). It looks promising.

I was hoping that someone could give me advice on places to stay (motels, cabins, etc.) near Chilanko Forks or Puntzi Lake. I'm assuming those would be the best places to stay in order to hunt the area. I don't think I can get organized enough in the meantime to get a bush camp ready. Her draw date is Oct 15-30 and we're thinking of going up from the 18th to 21st. Does anyone have any suggestions of any kind that can increase the odds of filling her tag? All helpful hints will be rewarded with first views of pictures if she gets one!

Also, I think it's any buck mule deer at that time. How are the deer populations in the area and what are my chances of filling a tag of my own?

Thanks Everyone

cdnshooter13
09-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Call dan and jan at woodland cariboo resort. We just stayed there and they wr great!! Unfortunately we wr unsuccessful as my work shedule only permitted me to go up early season and it was waaay to hot. Found lots of good swamps and old sign though. Pm me for more details if you like and ill try and put you onto some areas.

smeegle
09-27-2013, 05:05 AM
find the wolves and you will find the moose...

Ajsawden
09-27-2013, 09:32 AM
cdnshooter13, I've sent you a private message. Thanks.

Clouddog
09-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Almost so true..

papaken
09-27-2013, 04:07 PM
We stayed at Woodland Cariboo Resort (camped) 2 yrs ago. Owners were very nice and when we took a tour of the cabins they looked good. We also were there when it was quite warm. Saw a few deer and 2 real nice bears, 1 black 1 cinnamon colored. Called in the evening at one spot, and my grandson and his buddy went in and jumped a big bull out of his bed almost on top of the spot I called from. That was the only moose we saw tho'.