PDA

View Full Version : Snows Arriving

f350ps
09-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Quite a few birds have shown up the last few days, that's not a good thing! Hopefully it's just gonna be a few thousand with the bigger migration in a couple weeks. K

nor'wester
09-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Why is it not a good thing?? It is Oct 1 on Tuesday after all....

longstonec
09-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Maybe he is worried they will eat all the pheasants.

f350ps
09-27-2013, 07:02 PM
When the snows arrive they feed on the foreshore where most guys can hunt them but within a week or two they get into the habit of feeding in the sanctuary and CWS fields where we can't hunt. What happens is they leave the foreshore early in the morning and return right at last light. These things are eating machines and clean out a field very quickly then move to the next, which makes it very hard to pattern them. K

f350ps
09-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Why is it not a good thing?? It is Oct 1 on Tuesday after all....
We can't hunt them on Oct.1st hence my reference to the bigger migration in a couple weeks. K

pnbrock
09-27-2013, 08:12 PM
guess you didn't get the hint f350!!!!

f350ps
09-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Oh I got it alright! You back already? K

fowl language
09-27-2013, 10:30 PM
in the last 7 years the snows have started to arrive between the 23 to the 27 of sept. there was 3 to 5000 feeding in a field this afternoon. this has been the same as the last few years and it wasn,t that hard to get your birds. i can not see why this year will be any different. at some point they will go back into the reserve with all the pressure they get anyways. i don,t think there is any need to worry.....fowl

f350ps
09-27-2013, 10:43 PM
So are you trying to say that having the bulk of the birds showing up before opening day is just as good as having them showing up during opening week? With the numbers here now they will eat the foreshore out before the season even starts. I prefer to punt shoot them, thanks! K

longstonec
09-27-2013, 10:48 PM
I think Dale did say just that.

nor'wester
09-27-2013, 10:53 PM
When the snows arrive they feed on the foreshore where most guys can hunt them but within a week or two they get into the habit of feeding in the sanctuary and CWS fields where we can't hunt. What happens is they leave the foreshore early in the morning and return right at last light. These things are eating machines and clean out a field very quickly then move to the next, which makes it very hard to pattern them. K

Once they're done eating the pheasants they'll be back out in the marsh though, right?

longstonec
09-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Once they're done eating the pheasants they'll be back out in the marsh though, right?

Doubtful. They would have to cross the dike and its posted.

field marshal
09-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Now you Mainlanders play nice over there now???:mrgreen: We only get straggler snows on the Island so of course,we are very envious!
Cheers---Field Marshal.

fowl language
09-28-2013, 08:19 AM
I also am a punt shooter as well as a field shooter and feel that the birds have not been hard to harvest either style for the past few years .with the amount of geese we have here they will be showing up for at least the next month. there will be plenty of opportunity for all. it doesn,t take long for them to eat out the cws fields anyway....fowl

pnbrock
09-28-2013, 09:24 AM
i want to kill 1 this year

Foxton Gundogs
09-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Now you Mainlanders play nice over there now???:mrgreen: We only get straggler snows on the Island so of course,we are very envious!
Cheers---Field Marshal.

A flock of about 100+ went over my place yesterday afternoon quite low and headed south east, go figure

Crazy_Farmer
09-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Don't worry guys I've got a punt now and 20dz silosocks..........watch out...... I'm gonna be shooting lessers greaters blues and Ross's. They'll be none left for the locals. Sorry K

pnbrock
09-28-2013, 10:34 AM
silosocks arent they for fields ?you will look silly sitting in a punt in a field!

Foxton Gundogs
09-28-2013, 04:19 PM
silosocks arent they for fields ?you will look silly sitting in a punt in a field!
Punt, Layout all the same aren't they??

f350ps
09-28-2013, 10:04 PM
I cannot believe how many snows are here already this year. I was training my retriever in Ladner this evening and was just about forced of my usual field from the flocks of snows coming into feed. Brought the pup for a cool down walk on foreshore dyke after training and was even more displeased to have to clean up 3 boxes of lead number 4 hulls from somebody shooting clays into the marsh. I pack a garbage bag every night when we train in the area as it makes us all look bad for the general public to see the dyke littered with empty hulls and half broken clays and as much as I dislike cleaning other peoples garbage the general public probably doesn't seperate the pigs from the sportsman.
Yep, there's a few here alright, a wee bit more than the 3-5000 that have shown up between the 23rd and 27th for the last 7 yrs I think! :) K. P.S. nice job on the clean up, thanks! K