PDA

View Full Version : Three More Sleeps...

IronNoggin
09-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Somehow, against ALL odds, I drew another moose tag this year! http://bigshotsbc.ca/images/smilies/Pozitive.gif
Unbelievable to me! After last year's FIASCO, I wasn't even sure I wanted to give them another try this soon. Many things conspired against us that run, and that represented one of the more unpleasant hunting experiences I have had in many a year. BUT, one of my Hunting Partners insisted, so I let him tell me the numbers, and applied. With "reduced odds" I was not holding my breath.

I did suspect I'd realize the mulie draw - at 1:1 odds, seemed like a Sure Thing. NOPE!
Perhaps the Sheep at 4.5:1? NOPE!
OK - Long Shot on Archery Island Elk?? Not A Chance!

But, to my absolute surprise, at high odds made even higher due to drawing last season, I did get the moose...

Never been to the area in question. Had to actually look it up on a map simply to understand WHERE it is! But, my Partner and a couple of his Buddies have hunted there for quite a few years, and their glowing tales of success have me somewhat Hopeful...

Headed out on the first ferry Sunday. If required, we will spend a couple weeks in this pursuit. If we get Lucky and The Goddess shines in our direction, we will wander home sooner to take on the three Big Blacktails we've been studying of late...

We'll be a long ways back in the Boonies this go, so right doubtful anyone from here will wander by for a visit. That said, I'll be running my Green F-150, so if you do happen to wander across us, give a wave and a word of encouragement...

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Winter_Fun_3.jpg

Dragging the bow along of course. Hope to employ it for what it was designed to do. But should they decide to stay out of it's range, the 300 Weatherby will also be in tow... http://bigshotsbc.ca/images/smilies/cool.png

Better start going over the endless list and organizing now. Seems when I leave that to the last minute, I ALWAYS forget some desperately needed piece of equipment! http://bigshotsbc.ca/images/smilies/highly_amused.png

Hoping for better results this time around...

Cheers,
Nog

quadrakid
09-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Good luck Nog,hope you drop a moose second day and relax after that.

Darksith
09-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Good luck nog...too bad about last year. I drew a shared hunt in the same spot as your draw last year. Hopefully I have better luck...I'll be sure to share a story :) 5 days for us and counting

doubled
09-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Good luck Matt, we leave next week for ours!!!!

adriaticum
09-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Fingers crossed!

IronNoggin
09-26-2013, 07:45 PM
THANKS For the Luck Wishes Gentz! Appreciated!! :-D

Good luck nog...too bad about last year. I drew a shared hunt in the same spot as your draw last year. Hopefully I have better luck...

Best advice I can give after last year is stay a LONG ways Away from that Reserve! The tougher the spot is to get to, and the further away from them, the better your odds will be IMHO! :wink: Best Of Luck to you too!!

Cheers,
Nog

Knute
09-26-2013, 08:04 PM
They say luck comes in threes.
1. You got your reduced odds draw.
2. You spot your slobbernose.
3. You're in bow range.

Good luck Matt!

Darksith
09-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Best advice I can give after last year is stay a LONG ways Away from that Reserve! The tougher the spot is to get to, and the further away from them, the better your odds will be IMHO! :wink: Best Of Luck to you too!!

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks, where I tried to get you into is one of my spots. If you had of been there nov 1 Im confident you woulda been successful if you went were I suggested in our PM's. From the 20-27 of oct I saw 38 moose! and some dandy bulls. Anyway, good luck, maybe we can trade successful stories in a couple weeks

Jim Prawn
09-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Good luck Nog, shoot a monster! Looking forward to some pics; of your moose and some of those big blacktails! Straight shootin,.
JP

5 spike
09-27-2013, 04:38 AM
Good luck.Cant wait for the story and pics.

Bushy
09-27-2013, 06:20 AM
Have fun Nog, 3 Deg @ 4000 ft anraining this morning in many places will make for some good tracking. Bullwinkle's can't tip toe!

3 more sleeps then off to Ominica for the elusive spike fork.

RB

IronNoggin
09-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks, where I tried to get you into is one of my spots. If you had of been there nov 1 Im confident you woulda been successful if you went were I suggested in our PM's. From the 20-27 of oct I saw 38 moose! and some dandy bulls. Anyway, good luck, maybe we can trade successful stories in a couple weeks

I TRULY Appreciated all of the advice you provided! And we did hit every place you suggested, and many many more.
Haven't put that many miles on the boots & truck without success in a great many years!!
Did find a good number of gut piles, lots of wolves, and a huge crew of "deer hunters" that were obviously working moose. Funny how that crew disappeared shortly after our arrival after they heard what we were hunting for! :roll:

Every second shack on the reserve had at least one carcass hanging in the yard. Saw several rigs headed up into the hills at dark when we were dropping down to camp most evenings, and kind of figured we knew what they were up too...

Despite your Valuable Intel, and having several Locals working with us for 10 days, The Goddess chose not to reward our efforts. Quite possibly the lateness of our season contributed to that.

Thankfully the late archery season SE of there proved to be MUCH Better! :wink:

Again Best Of Luck! I Truly HOPE we are exchanging Tales of Success upon our mutual returns!

And again, Many Thanks for the Well Wishes folks!! We're getting close to ready, and Damn Itchy to get things underway... :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

finaddict
09-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Matt,

Some of your nightmares from last year were mine this year. in 6-9 but for the early draw, we were in good country with lots of sign and 30 degree celcius sunshine. Great camping trip, but hunt? not likely. I know you will do better than we did. Looking forward to a few pics with "X's for eyes"

Here's hoping you are done in three days or less and can enjoy some fine bow bucks as well.

Best of luck

weatherby_man
09-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Good luck Nog. Get that donkey already!

IronNoggin
09-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Well... Despite a few unforeseen delays (Dammit!!) we are getting closer.
Loading the truck in the downpour this afternoon, and Hoping there will be room on the First ferry over...
Bow & Rifles TUNED and Ready To Rock.
Two sets of Rain Gear, and many many tarps.
Tags have been checked no less than 7 times to ensure they make the ride... LOL!

Tee Minus 16 Hours to LAUNCH!!! :twisted:

Funny as that is damn near the same amount it is going to take to get where we need to be - If all goes well that is!
Fingers Crossed!
Catch Y'all on the Flipside... http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sailor.gif

Cheers,
Nog