PDA

View Full Version : Hunting out of a coupe

Red arch
09-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Ok so as a university student my hunting season will involve:
My bow as I don't have a deer rifle and am not allowed one in residence
A day or two on the weekends or grouse early mornings
And a 2 door sebring coupe

So has anyone avoided getting blood in their car while stuffing game into it, and if that is impossible how on earth do I remove it?

Fella
09-24-2013, 02:21 PM
If you can get back to town quick enough I'd say just wrap it in tarps for the ride home

r106
09-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Big game - Gut it, skin it, quarter it, wipe it down, put in game bags and put down a tarp. Next to no blood. Also look at trying the gutless method ( Google it ) as it is way cleaner.

GoatGuy
09-24-2013, 02:26 PM
where do you live?

r106
09-24-2013, 02:27 PM
most of all the mess and blood is in the gut cavity so as long as you clean that out well you should be fine with a tarp or 2

marcus44
09-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Try to find a hunting partner in your area with a truck? Place to maybe store a rifle?

sailpunk
09-24-2013, 02:32 PM
So It wasn't a deer but about the same size. Say 6' 185lbs, named Greg; anyway. I wrapped him in a carpet and shoved him in the trunk just fine and I still had room for a shovel and a bag of lime. Wait...nevermind; it was a deer! Yeah a deer named Greg.

BRvalley
09-24-2013, 02:32 PM
are you allowed a bow in residence? we weren't 'allowed' bows, air rifles, airsoft, paint ball guns or even sling shots ha...something about safety? lol

Rackem
09-24-2013, 02:40 PM
are you allowed a bow in residence? we weren't 'allowed' bows, air rifles, airsoft, paint ball guns or even sling shots ha...something about safety? lol

Don't ask, don't tell.

Red arch
09-24-2013, 02:41 PM
A couple of things:
I am in Kamloops for a BNRS
Second I like to fish as well and I decide what i'm doing the night before so i will most likely still be hunting by myself once in a while.
Third the manual doesn't say no to the bow, actually doesn't list it as a weapon and its not a prohibited object in the crim code. At the same time i am playing it safe and keeping it in the trunk of my car.
Four my only rifle is a .22, so bow hunting will still occur.
I looked at the gutless method, will be watching it once my chem lecture is done.

Rackem
09-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Little Moose Coupe....sorry, couldn't resist, hell I hunt out of a minivan that is rusting away, why not a coupe? I don't care about blood in my van though, I do have moving rugs/blanket things...

Mountaintop
09-24-2013, 02:56 PM
I learned when I was with a police department many years ago that hydrogen peroxide removes blood from most fabrics, including uniforms and fabric car seats. It works best when the blood is somewhat fresh though also works to some degree after it dries. The sooner the better though. Pour it directly on the blood stain and let it foam up for a while. Blot with a dry cloth and repeat as needed. The best part is that hydrogen peroxide is already in many hunter's packs to help with blood trailing. I have never tried it on leather or vinyl seats and suspect it could would not be good for the materials.

Rackem
09-24-2013, 03:05 PM
http://www.tensionnot.com/pictures/images/Car/Moose-On-The-Car-Roof.jpg

Rackem
09-24-2013, 03:07 PM
I learned when I was with a police department many years ago that hydrogen peroxide removes blood from most fabrics, including uniforms and fabric car seats. It works best when the blood is somewhat fresh though also works to some degree after it dries. The sooner the better though. Pour it directly on the blood stain and let it foam up for a while. Blot with a dry cloth and repeat as needed. The best part is that hydrogen peroxide is already in many hunter's packs to help with blood trailing. I have never tried it on leather or vinyl seats and suspect it could would not be good for the materials.

Yup, I can verify this about Hydrogen Peroxide, as a veterinary tech, say doing an eye enucleation on a cow...it will get all proteins out, including blood, but fresher the better...

adriaticum
09-24-2013, 03:38 PM
You can transport a deer quartered and wrapped in game bags.

Tuffcity
09-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Quartered and put into dry bags. Debone it first and you can probably fit the whole thing into one bag. I did this with my wife's mtn goat this year when we flew out of the lake. Pilots don't like salt and animal juice leaking onto the floor of their aircraft... :)

RC

bighornbob
09-24-2013, 03:59 PM
A couple of things:
I am in Kamloops for a BNRS
Second I like to fish as well and I decide what i'm doing the night before so i will most likely still be hunting by myself once in a while.
Third the manual doesn't say no to the bow, actually doesn't list it as a weapon and its not a prohibited object in the crim code. At the same time i am playing it safe and keeping it in the trunk of my car.
Four my only rifle is a .22, so bow hunting will still occur.
I looked at the gutless method, will be watching it once my chem lecture is done.

I remember being in your position when in school, it sucks big time but still went out, even though it was Victoria and you had to drive 2 hours to find a clearcut. I live in Kamloops now so if you want to go out some time give me a PM and we can talk.BHB

Moe.JKU
09-24-2013, 04:24 PM
I was going to say why not just strap it to the roof, or the trunk area, you can always wash blood off the outside.
or, maybe look at getting a little trailer to tow behind your car.
or, gutless method.

Mephizto
09-26-2013, 06:15 PM
can you not quarter the animal, put in a bag and then put that bag into a cooler on ice?

GoatGuy
09-26-2013, 06:36 PM
I remember being in your position when in school, it sucks big time but still went out, even though it was Victoria and you had to drive 2 hours to find a clearcut. I live in Kamloops now so if you want to go out some time give me a PM and we can talk.BHB

Wouldn't turn that off down - was thinking the same thing if you lived in the central OK.

Darksith
09-26-2013, 07:37 PM
You can transport a deer quartered and wrapped in game bags.

game bags should breath, so they usually aren't an ideal barrier when protecting something from blood. But it would help rather than an open chest cavity. A few tarps or sheets of poly and you will be fine.

caddisguy
09-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Haha I have been thinking of this all day. This weekend I am going to see if I can get the jeep up the mountain from Boston Bar, explore trails and see if I can make it over the summit southwest of Merritt. Btw, anyone know what condition the Spius FSR is in? Do I need a chainsaw or dynamite?

Anyway, I was thinking what the heck I would do if I plug a 300lb Muley. Definitely not going to drive it down the highway on my roof-racks. I'll probably just gut/skin it, sock it up and see if I can cram it in the back with my gear. I'm a new hunter and not confident about my ability to quarter it up or use the boneless method and still be legal... wish I could just cut it in half, but I'm guessing that isn't legal... not to mention tainting stuff with spinal fluid. Butcher would probably send me away. Is cleaning the cavity with creek water a no-no too? I think I will just let things get messy back there. Should be a fun ride home. This is all optimistic though. I will be happy if I get one grouse :D

saskbooknut
09-27-2013, 05:25 AM
In my poorer youth, I lined the trunk of a Toyota Tercel with a double layer of cheap tarp for hunting. It worked for me.

westcoastal
09-27-2013, 06:02 AM
I will be hunting using my Jetta wagon, figured on using game bags and a big rubbermaid tub to contain the oozy stuff.

Rackem
09-27-2013, 06:22 AM
Haha I have been thinking of this all day. This weekend I am going to see if I can get the jeep up the mountain from Boston Bar, explore trails and see if I can make it over the summit southwest of Merritt. Btw, anyone know what condition the Spius FSR is in? Do I need a chainsaw or dynamite?

Anyway, I was thinking what the heck I would do if I plug a 300lb Muley. Definitely not going to drive it down the highway on my roof-racks. I'll probably just gut/skin it, sock it up and see if I can cram it in the back with my gear. I'm a new hunter and not confident about my ability to quarter it up or use the boneless method and still be legal... wish I could just cut it in half, but I'm guessing that isn't legal... not to mention tainting stuff with spinal fluid. Butcher would probably send me away. Is cleaning the cavity with creek water a no-no too? I think I will just let things get messy back there. Should be a fun ride home. This is all optimistic though. I will be happy if I get one grouse :D

You can cut it in half, just leave a ball on each hindquarter...easy. Creek water is ok if it is a clean creek, but you want a dry skin to form on the outside that protects the meat, never use bleach or other things as it kills off the good bacteria that seal the outside of the meat. If you do you will lose all the meat to rot.

I am not sure what you mean about the spinal fluid, we always cut everything in half with no issues. If an animal is sick, do not eat it.

The gutless method is easy, it's just deboning really, makes for a much smaller package, much neater.

Red arch
09-27-2013, 08:33 AM
I will probably be keeping a couple shower curtains in my trunk, which can then be used as liners.
I will also be keeping a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in my car in case I have leakage issues.
Further what about using a solution of vinegar water to clean your meat?

BHB thank you for the offer, I will most likely fire off a PM once I have my schedule totally figured out

itsy bitsy xj
09-27-2013, 09:19 AM
So It wasn't a deer but about the same size. Say 6' 185lbs, named Greg; anyway. I wrapped him in a carpet and shoved him in the trunk just fine and I still had room for a shovel and a bag of lime. Wait...nevermind; it was a deer! Yeah a deer named Greg.

I was going to say a carpet but I remember Henery Hill hosing out his trunk the next morning. It might have been because of the gun shots into the trunk but they created drain holes

You could sell the car and buy a truck

itsy bitsy xj
09-27-2013, 09:23 AM

I was going to say a carpet but I remember Henery Hill hosing out his trunk the next morning. It might have been because of the gun shots into the trunk but they created drain holes

You could sell the car and buy a truck

Sofa King
09-27-2013, 09:44 AM
you could always rent yourself a storage unit and store your hunting things in there. and you should be able to find enough offers on here im sure from guys willing to take you out. im planning a shuswap fishing trip for next weekend if you are interested. spawning salmon equals awesome rainbow fishing.

Red arch
09-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Unfortunately storage units cost money and trucks are not gas friendly.

As for the fishing i'm heading to the coast for a youth fly fishing competition. Otherwise I would be in.

Sofa King
09-27-2013, 09:54 AM
i only lasted the first semester in the dorms. those were aweful places. it was cheaper and much , much better getting an apartment over in college heights. the dorms were awesome though for meeting many, many fresh bettys.

Moe.JKU
09-27-2013, 10:06 AM
i only lasted the first semester in the dorms. those were aweful places. it was cheaper and much , much better getting an apartment over in college heights. the dorms were awesome though for meeting many, many fresh bettys.
Yeah i feel you i lasted 4 months and then i had to get out when i was in school. Got a house with 2 people and then you have a place to bring back those betty's as well to have some cold ones.

Darksith
09-27-2013, 10:16 AM
if u get a 300lbs muley u will be famous! u can cut it in half, why not?

Sofa King
09-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Yeah i feel you i lasted 4 months and then i had to get out when i was in school. Got a house with 2 people and then you have a place to bring back those betty's as well to have some cold ones.

college....those were the days.
the dorms are just a giant f*ck-fest.
when a girl wasn't knocking on the door in the middle of the day or in the wee hours of the night, every other night was spent in a different girl's room.
and it was just as good once off the dorms and into an apartment because they loved getting away from the dorms themselves.

i'm glad I don't have kids, especially girls who go off to college.

Sofa King
09-27-2013, 11:04 AM
hunting out of a coupe isn't much different than hunting out of an suv.
I use a forerunner now, and a pathfinder before that, and my bronco before that.
mind you, a little coupe would have quite a bit less room, but not much different as far as putting a carcass inside.
I always just spread out a tarp and have never had any issues.
I get the body as clean as possible first obviously, I wouldn't put a messy, bloody deer in there.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Someone you know should have a big cooler?? College kids need coolers for beer. Borrow one and you can quarter it and put in the cooler.

Any policies on hanging game in the showers of your residence??:-D

BRvalley
09-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Any policies on hanging game in the showers of your residence??:-D

personal policy...against eating wild game riddled with STD's....maybe buy a box of magnums to hang the quarters

all jokes aside, keep the bow hidden, even if it's not written in policy, not worth it....my buddies were kicked out, and they don't reimburse the 5K that our residence cost

Red arch
09-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Yeah I wont try it. Also I can always go the retail meat guys on campus, I think they cut game and such if hunters bring it in. Also If I have to I could probably try to hang the deer in the shower. The issue would be a) my roomate and b) leaving blood throught the residence. On a side note I think the guy watching the cameras would be laughing his ass off!

Sofa King
09-27-2013, 01:18 PM
remember to put the deer head in your roomies bed.

bccanadian
09-27-2013, 02:14 PM
remember to put the deer head in your roomies bed.

AHahahahahaha.... That movie was a classic....I wonder how many of the younger hunters get the reference.

caddisguy
09-27-2013, 04:49 PM
AHahahahahaha.... That movie was a classic....I wonder how many of the younger hunters get the reference.

Godfather? There's an offer one can't refuse.

Blk Arrow
09-27-2013, 09:24 PM
If you have to wash your shower curtain after skinning your deer you may be a redneck.

Big7
09-27-2013, 10:32 PM
I've heard you can stuff a black bear in the trunk of a '97 Cavalier.....all I had in college!

Legi0n
09-28-2013, 12:26 AM
Ok so as a university student my hunting season will involve:
My bow as I don't have a deer rifle and am not allowed one in residence
A day or two on the weekends or grouse early mornings
And a 2 door sebring coupe

So has anyone avoided getting blood in their car while stuffing game into it, and if that is impossible how on earth do I remove it?

Your coupe will barely drive over water bars (which are many). Moreso if loaded.
Not a good idea.
Wait until you can afford a 4x4

longwalk
09-28-2013, 06:42 AM
Many years ago I stuffed a deer in the trunk of a Volkswagen Golf. Cut the legs off at the joint and no problems.

itsy bitsy xj
09-28-2013, 07:59 AM
If you have to wash your shower curtain after skinning your deer you may be a redneck.

Thanks!! thats started my day off with a smile

caves16
09-28-2013, 08:32 AM
I've hunted in cars/SUVs a number of times. Buy a roof rack if your car doesnt have it. Get it from Canadian Tire along with their strap-on car topper luggage bag. When on sale, its about $60. With the deer ticks and other grossness, i would not put a carcass INSIDE my vehicle.
it would be embarrassing to have a tick jump on the "Betty" in your backseat...