PDA

View Full Version : Wall tents Canvas VS cabelas alaknak

sheepaholic
09-24-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm thinking about buying a wall tent and want to know what people's experiences are with either or I want one that will hold 4-8 adults I want one that's durable but also have to keep weight in mind as it will be carried in my 16 ft river boat along with other Gus and gear

mikeboehm
09-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Cavas for sure

MuleyStalker
09-24-2013, 01:47 PM
I have a Deluxe Wall tent and I love it. 3 of my friends also have wall tents and would never use anything else. I have 1 friend with an Alaknak that we used on one november hunt. We had no problems with it. I think it takes a little more to set up but is still straight forward. I find my wall tent easier to setup. Weight wise, I believe a wall tent is heavier (if you include the frame). Alaknak had a floor in it but I actually prefer not having a floor in my wall tent (but you can get a wall tent with a floor). Alaknak also has poles in the middle to support the peak which I'm not fond of. For the price, Alaknak is a good way to go but I still prefer a wall tent. I think you would be happy with either decision.

BCBRAD
09-24-2013, 03:01 PM
https://www.reliabletent.com/index.cfm?page=detail&Product_ID=145&CATID=9
https://www.reliabletent.com/index.cfm?page=detail&Product_ID=144&CATID=9

We have these two and have gone completely away from wall tents. These set up easy (everything is included) and are a quality product.

Worth a look!

akyne
09-27-2013, 08:42 AM
The downside with the Alaknak is the material - unless you keep the woodstove ripping all night, eight guys sawing logs all night is going to create buckets of condensation. Whatever design you end up with, you can't beat a good quality sunforger canvas tent that breaths regardless of the weather inside or outside the tent. Obviously if you are counting ounces, a lighter tent makes sense, but if you can afford the room, it's hard to beat a conventional wall tent. With a wall tent, you can easily cut poles to make your own frame in the bush, I'm not sure if the same can be said of the teepees posted above.

The Hermit
09-27-2013, 09:32 AM
I have a used 12x14 plus 5' porch lightweight wall tent for sale. The walls are nylon and a portion of the roof is canvas to vent condensation, two screened windows, double zippered screened front door, single zipper back door, the wall panel that has the stove jack is also canvas, lightweight aluminum frame (4 truss with 1" OD tubes)... Used on one trip ... I wanted to try one for myself so that I can speak with experience when selling them at VantagePoint Outfitters (http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com). Retails over $1600 plus tax Available at $1300 no tax.

Perfect for fly in or river trips... weighs about 1/3 of a full canvas tent.

Darksith
09-27-2013, 10:52 AM
i dont think u will find a tent that sleeps 8. I have a 14x16x5 and it won't hold 8, unless everyone is shoulder to shoulder with no gear inside. 5 is about max, maybe 6

BlacktailStalker
09-27-2013, 11:01 AM
i dont think u will find a tent that sleeps 8. I have a 14x16x5 and it won't hold 8, unless everyone is shoulder to shoulder with no gear inside. 5 is about max, maybe 6

x2 and even 4 is a full house in a 14x16x5.5' walls.

nap
09-29-2013, 09:39 PM
I have a alaknak 12 x 12 and it will fit no more than 4 with a small stove, but I do like it for what it is, very easy to set up and if I take care of it it will last for years.

edg
09-30-2013, 05:33 PM
Had a 14x16 canvas for over 20 faithful years. Replaced it with an Alaknac2 12x20 plus vestibule for additional 11ft for cooking and storage. easier and quicker to dry out at the end of the trip than canvas Tarp off the rear door for a shower Sleeps 4-5 comfortably and is way cooler for summer use than canvas. can take strong winds with ease

Steve Works
09-17-2014, 12:13 AM
I also own an Alaknac2 12x20 but don't see it lasting for more than 10 years.

boxhitch
09-17-2014, 08:11 AM
For a lighter weight canvas option , check out Snowtrekker tents . easy setup and plenty tough , the door is at a weird slope but a fly provides protection.

J_T
09-17-2014, 08:18 AM
I have two wall tents. A 1956 14 x 16 - 4 foot walls, still going strong, but a light canvas.

My go to 12 x 14 wall tent, I bought from Vantage Point Outfitters and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's a cabin in the woods. Tough 10mm canvas, sleeps 4 men easily with gear and stove burning. Hang enough clothes up to suck up the snoring as well.

dime
09-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Have used both, prefer the Alaknak. It does not suck up moisture and need drying with a dehumidifier so mold does not set in (live in the soggy Vancouver area where drying anything out is a problem). We have the 12x20 which will sleep four like kings, would still be cramped with 8. We have not had a problem with condensation, just keep all the vent holes open and the stove going.

.264winmag
09-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Got the cabelas outfitter ISQ 10x14 tent off a HBC member, love it. With 6 ISQ it'll sleep 8-10 easily, has vestibule as well for cooking/boot room. Tent material is much lighter, poles are quite heavy but could easily fab up from saplings in woods.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/ensemble.jsp?ensembleId=6100

sausage lover
10-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Wife and I got the Alaknak 12x12 and love it! Absolute water and wind proof and can be carried on the back off a quad. I can set up in 20 min and easy to clean and dry!

Elkhunter44
10-05-2014, 07:29 PM

I have a 16x24 that will sleep 8 easily