PDA

View Full Version : Provincial Wolf Management - not focussed on ungulate populations

Ltbullken
09-24-2013, 11:13 AM
I had a quick read of this report. It does not appear that there will be any direct management action to control wolf populations for ungulates other than for species at risk such as Mountain Caribou. The report sites ecological ramifications to active wolf control for ungulate recovery, which needs to be considred of course. But, wolf populations were controlled in the past and what were those ramifications? So that means we as hunters need to take action to lobby the government if we want 'some' action to help ungulate populations or we start getting more active as wolf hunters, acknowledging that population control by hunting regulations is probably not highly effective. (The biggest factor that controls wolf populations, according to the study, is availability of food i.e. ungulates.) Or we accept that this is a population cycle that we need to bear (bad pun) for the foreseeable future.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/public-consultation/grey-wolf/docs/PublicConsultation-WolfManagementPlan.pdf

Okay, comments! Go!

GoatGuy
09-24-2013, 02:00 PM
The BCWF's response to the draft plan.

http://bcwf.net/images/stories/Committee/Wildlife/2012.12.11_BCWF_Response_Draft_Wolf_Management_Pla n.pdf

GoatGuy
09-24-2013, 02:01 PM
If you want to manage wolves you have to remove them through poison or aerially. Hunters really need to get on their MLAs and start making it a hot button issue - no one else will do it for you.

Jelvis
09-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Poison is not good and I hope no one tries that on any scale'
Not that the wolves wood mind, but eagles, marten, fisher, wolverine, and anything that feeds on that poison dies and these victims of chance that find an old carcass layden with poison die and for that reason alone, I'm out.
Jel .. What's your poison? No way too much collateral damage. WARNING POISON

GoatGuy
09-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Poison is not good and I hope no one tries that on any scale'
Not that the wolves wood mind, but eagles, marten, wolverine, and anything that feeds on that poison dies and these victims of chance that find an old carcass layden with poison die and for that reason alone, I'm out.
Jel .. What's your poison? No way too much collateral damage. WARNING POISON

You're referring to strychnine. 1080 is canine specific, if that is the objective.

The cure is education and knowledge, the poison is ignorance and uninformed opinions.