PDA

View Full Version : Region 5 wolf problems

afflicted 1
09-24-2013, 01:07 AM
My dad and a freind of his are camping east of Lac LaHache with a bull draw right now, yesterday he sent me a text they have seen 3 moose, 4 wolves the first day and they were eating a calf moose...no shot. Second day no moose, 8 wolves shot 3 of them. We have been living and working around the area for a least my whole 34 years and like he says this wolf problem is way out of control. All I can say is no bag limit if ya see um .....well you know the rest

fireguy
09-24-2013, 04:22 AM
My dad just got back from a region 6 hunt. Didn't see a moose. Wolf sign everywhere. They talked to the C.O. According to him no calves made it through last winter, the wolves did there thing and they haven't seen any calves this year at all. I'm sure some made it but the C.O. figures they were slaughtered over the last year.

5 spike
09-24-2013, 04:22 AM
I here ya were having the same problem on the island.One of my favorite spots is over run with them.Time to clean house.

scallywag
09-24-2013, 06:17 AM
5 spike lets go get them drOp me a line I've but looking for a wolf hunting partner

Piperdown
09-24-2013, 07:55 AM
Don't know what part of region 6 you were in but we just got back from a scouting/grouse trip and saw 15 moose, only 1 was a bull all but 2 of the cows had calves and 2 had twins. Having said this the wolves around our cabin were getting bad about 3-4 years ago. there was a big push to hunt them, about 50 killed and have only seen 2 sets of tracks in our area since. Places that I had not even seen a cattle,deer or moose track are showing good numbers of moose now. So get out and hammer em.

proguide66
09-24-2013, 08:16 AM
No one trapping wolves there?? I know some people interested in taking them on.

Rocky7
09-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Wolves are (again) on the increase here in Alberta, too. An outfitter friend tells me the average pack will take 2 elk per week.

What most people do not realize is that the reason we had high game populations years ago was due to very aggressive wolf control measures through the late 19th century and well into the first part of the 20th and then continuing to the mid-1900's. When the wolf (and bear) populations were brought down, ungulates thrived. The antis talk about a time, e.g., 1960's, when there was no wolf control and yet game populations were high, but it is only their self-serving fantasy.

Wolves cannot be effectively controlled by only hunters. It requires slow-moving aircraft with the passenger door removed and a semi-auto.

Steeleco
09-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Don't have a moose draw but will be staying at Rail lake in 2 weeks. I'm working on a special 25.06 load for the dogs. Was in there the last week of spring bear and found this.
The round is a 444Marlin.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/IMG_0147_zps2c31437f.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/steeleco/media/IMG_0147_zps2c31437f.jpg.html)

I hope to reduce the population, even by one!!

Moe.JKU
09-24-2013, 08:35 AM
I will be up in region 5-12 in 2 weeks, Ill do my part in trying to knock a few down. only thing is i only have 1 rifle at the moment, and i will only have it sighted for my moose load so we will see how a 180gr makes them feel.

Steeleco
09-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Big exit or small, dead is dead!! I was with Elkhound a few weeks back and he shot a BIG yote with his .338 Damn that was a big hole!!

Moe.JKU
09-24-2013, 09:02 AM
I can only imagine. We shot a big yote the other week in a field with 3 1/2" BB from 30 yards and dropped him one the spot. First one ever and it was pretty fun calling him into out close to our goose decoys.

steel_ram
09-24-2013, 09:15 AM
Sounds like the wolf population is at critical mass. A bad winter and they'll crash on there own. Thinning the packs now, before winter, is only going to help them.

junkyard_g
09-24-2013, 09:43 AM
got a wolf in hudsons hope with my 338 with a 250gr nosler 2yrs ago. Rug was not an option lol. still made nice looking headmount though.

Big exit or small, dead is dead!! I was with Elkhound a few weeks back and he shot a BIG yote with his .338 Damn that was a big hole!!

40incher
09-24-2013, 09:52 AM
My dad just got back from a region 6 hunt. Didn't see a moose. Wolf sign everywhere. They talked to the C.O. According to him no calves made it through last winter, the wolves did there thing and they haven't seen any calves this year at all. I'm sure some made it but the C.O. figures they were slaughtered over the last year.
That C.O. should get out more ... there was no lack of calves making through the winter in 2012/13. While out bear hunting and lake fishing this spring we saw many cows with yearling calves born in 2012. Having hunted Region 6 for close to five decades things are about normal, although the moose are somewhat educated. The late 1970's and early 1980's were when the wolves peaked around here, and when a long any-bull season and liberal antlerless kill drove the numbers down even further. Comparatively, moose are doing very well now!

Ltbullken
09-24-2013, 10:15 AM
There are 2 sides to every story. No doubt the wolves, being predators, take their fair share of moose. As studies indicate it’s the bears, mostly black that are the culprits in in the dwindling calf populations.
There are at least 2x as many black bears nowadays as opposed to 100 years ago.
Maybe no limit on black bears & a bounty on wolves in some regions may be the answer.

Care to share the studies?

The Dawg
09-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Again.....sign up !

www.wolftracker.ca

Moe.JKU
09-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Again.....sign up !

www.wolftracker.ca (http://www.wolftracker.ca)

Been on there for a while, havn't seen any reports from where i'm going however or where i go in general. But i have heard they are all over region 5 like stated here.

Ltbullken
09-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Don't expect any help from the provincial government for management of wolf populations. See the report.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/public-consultation/grey-wolf/docs/PublicConsultation-WolfManagementPlan.pdf

The Dawg
09-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Been on there for a while, havn't seen any reports from where i'm going however or where i go in general. But i have heard they are all over region 5 like stated here.

Its been slow for submissions lately with hunting season being closed, but we still need the sightings passed on! It will pick up again.

PM me with dates and locations and I will enter them!

Steeleco
09-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Thx Noah I'll sign up PDQ

fireguy
09-26-2013, 08:02 PM
That C.O. should get out more ... there was no lack of calves making through the winter in 2012/13. While out bear hunting and lake fishing this spring we saw many cows with yearling calves born in 2012. Having hunted Region 6 for close to five decades things are about normal, although the moose are somewhat educated. The late 1970's and early 1980's were when the wolves peaked around here, and when a long any-bull season and liberal antlerless kill drove the numbers down even further. Comparatively, moose are doing very well now!

It was 6-02 and 6-04 region 6 is a big area and I am sure that populations vary throughout it.

mike_b
09-26-2013, 10:54 PM
I spend a lot of time in region 5 during the month of October (5-01), but have never seen a wolf. But, i would love to do my part (small as it may be) to try and take some wolves in hopes of the moose and deer population increasing.

What are signs to look for when wolf hunting?? And what kind of environment are to mostly in (heavy brush, farmer's fields, etc.)? Hopefully this october will be different and i bring home a nice rug

The Dawg
09-26-2013, 11:09 PM
I spend a lot of time in region 5 during the month of October (5-01), but have never seen a wolf. But, i would love to do my part (small as it may be) to try and take some wolves in hopes of the moose and deer population increasing.

What are signs to look for when wolf hunting?? And what kind of environment are to mostly in (heavy brush, farmer's fields, etc.)? Hopefully this october will be different and i bring home a nice rug

www.wolftracker.ca has your answers

seanps
09-27-2013, 05:21 AM
4 wolves the first day and they were eating a calf moose..

Did the wolves kill the moose, or were they scavenging?

.330 Dakota
09-27-2013, 07:28 AM
Just signed up to WolfTracker,,,,hope its better than Mantracker,,,that dumbass...lol

anypointwilldo
09-27-2013, 07:52 AM
just got back from a hunt in reg 7,wolf tracks everywhere,found some remains of a moose that was killled by wolves.locals said there were wolves everywhere and he wasn't lyeing,we heard them howling every night.he said the population was higher than ever and the moose population is lower than ever!i have never seen so many dog tracks in my life!

Sasqman
09-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks for digging out the info mpotzold.

Paul

pete_k
11-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Every set of deer tracks I seen today had a set of wolf tracks on them. Including one set of moose tracks.
Was in 7-08 (across the river from 5:13) Between the highway and the Fraser River.
Finally seen two does on the way out.
Also found a nice little green cabin. Unlocked. Never went in. Looked new. Nice little pad.

cervid
11-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Went out after a cow/calf in 3-26 last week and didn't see a single calf, not even the tracks of one. We didn't come upon any wolf tracks in that particular area however two were shot not that far away in Grindrod last year and I just got word that one was pacing around the neighbour's field for three hours the other day. Now we know why we haven't seen hide nor hair of the resident whitetails for well over a month.

BigGameJay
11-14-2013, 10:38 PM
I went hunting in 8-10 today. I went back to the spot where I have seen a Cow and Calf moose the last 2 weeks. Went today and did not see the moose but I saw some moose tracks with deer tracks BUT a sh*t load of wolf tracks. I have only seen 4 moose and 5 deer all season. Not having much luck. As bad as it sounds I am hoping to kill a wolf to do my part and help control the population.

tigrr
11-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Want to find out if there are wolves in the area. After dark do one long slow howl and it will set them off into a chorus. Yotes are chatty, wolves are a single howl.
The interesting part is following a pack of 8 wolves up a mountain and only having 4 cartridges in the mag of the gun. Not sure which is more un-nerving the wolves or the 6 grizzly's though.
I will be hunting them this winter. No I won't say where.

KtownBobby
11-14-2013, 11:26 PM
BigGameJay, ive prolly seen close to 100 deer in 8-10 and ive got 1 sitting in my freezer and 1 that will be shortly. I've seen 6 bucks, while the rest have been does.

also seen:
2 bobcat
1 porcupine
7 wolves
5 moose(1 bull, no immature)
No elk(think they are gone from 8-10, alltho my butcher says otherwise)

chilcotin hillbilly
11-15-2013, 07:51 AM
I am tired of hearing " I saw -----wolves." I want to see your dead wolves. Do people on here not get lead down range?

gcreek
11-15-2013, 04:24 PM
I am tired of hearing " I saw -----wolves." I want to see your dead wolves. Do people on here not get lead down range?

You're starting to sound like that grumpy old opinionated rancher on here CH!

BigGameJay
11-15-2013, 10:59 PM
KTown,

Want to take me hunting lol! I need to fill my tag this year or I wont have any meat in my freezer for the 2nd year out of 3.