PDA

View Full Version : Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener

Sitkaspruce
09-23-2013, 09:21 PM
Anybody use one of these for sharpening up their knives etc.??

http://www.amazon.ca/Work-Sharp-WSKTSC-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B005HV0EFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379996220&sr=8-1&keywords=worksharp

Look for any feedback, pro/cons?? They get some good reviews from the blade crowd.

Cheers

SS

KnifeGuy
09-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Pros are that it produces a convexed edge on your knives which is generally sharper and stronger than a bevelled edge, which is awesome. It can also sharpen a variety of tools fairly easily. Cons are that the belts do not last very long, they need to be replaced fairly regularly (a box of belts is like 15 bucks?) also it can heat the steel up pretty quick so be careful. Overall, I really really like the system. One tip though, wait for the Ken Onion model to come out. Its going to have more juice and wider belts, better for knives.

Sofa King
09-23-2013, 09:57 PM
how's it work?
do you slowly slide your knife through it as it spins?

KnifeGuy
09-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Yeah, its basically a slack belt grinder arranged in a triangle shape. You have a plastic guide that snaps over the whole unit and you just flush the blade to the guide and slowly drag the knife through. You do 5 passes on one side, 5 on the other, 4 on the first side, 4 on the other etc. down to one pass a side. The 6000 grit belt is great, produces a brilliant edge. Its not overly loud, and really quite easy to use. Plus, if you fill out their warranty card they send you a free pack of belts.

bugler
09-29-2013, 09:12 AM
I have one, I love it for knives, quick and easy. Pretty good for broadheads too but kind of have to free hand them. They come out real sharp though.

Ferenc
09-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Picked one up from KMS tools... under 80 bucks .. worth it.. did all my hunting knives razor sharp in no time plus every other knife in the house.....friends will want to borrow it too...dont do it as youll have to hunt them down to get it back....its a good one...thanks for the tip on sending in the card for the extra belts

krazy
09-29-2013, 04:47 PM
One tip though, wait for the Ken Onion model to come out. Its going to have more juice and wider belts, better for knives.

X2 ... The Ken Onion versions will also have variable speed control and sharpening angles (no more swapping guides). It's due out in the states this October.

Sitkaspruce
10-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks Guys

The Ken Onion one is $70 US more at Cabelas.com, not available in Canada yet and not sure if the $$ is worth the wait or for the amount of knives I do per year.

Cheers

SS