PDA

View Full Version : Loose scope

bccanadian
09-23-2013, 07:12 PM
I went out to the Mission club on Sunday to check the zero on my scope. I'm shooting a Savage 111 in 30-06.

The first couple of rounds were good. After that they got wider. I put up the rifle and let it cool for quite awhile.
Once it cooled down, I put a couple more shots through it, paying close attention to my grip , the positioning against my shoulder and especially my breathing and trigger control.

what doesn't help is putting 2 bullets down range and finding an extra 3 holes in the target. I don't know if people are confused as to which is their target, too dumb to tell the difference or just careless. By the way, I mark my targets with bright green masking tape.

So with this added confusion it was difficult, to say the least, as to where the bullets were going.
It wasn't until I decided to put a bore snake down the barrel that I noticed that I could turn the screws on my scope by hand. Now just to be clear here, I'm not referring to the wind age and elevation screws, I'm talking about the mounting screws.

so using my trusty tool. A 2009 nickel, I tightened the screws and started zeroing the rifle again. I had it coming along nicely, letting it cool after every 3 shots when it started to open up again.... The screws were loosening off again. Most likely from the concussion. So at this point I'm done for the day.

when I got home I called a friend of mine and we chatted about my scope problem. He reminded me of something I had read here about Locktite. He said he uses it on all of his scopes.

i checked the website and found that the blue is what I needed. So I picked some up today. When my buddy called, he asked if I got the red like he suggested. I told him that red needs a torch to remove and the blue is what the doctor ordered.
He said he always used the red. Although he wasn't planning on taking the scopes off anyway. All I said was "like you have a choice, eh"... Lol

so remember for scopes it's the Locktite BLUE, in case you ever decide to change scopes.

Brad talkkari
09-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Hey there, I was the other guy at the range Sunday at the end of the day, you know the guy shooting my .22 across range haha. Thanks for the reminder by the way. Hope you get your gun back on zero shortly and good luck hunting!

lip_ripper00
09-23-2013, 07:35 PM
http://www.henkelna.com/adhesives/threadlocking-loctite-red-blue-threadlockers-green-purple-13445.htm

this may help, I use the purple.

buckhunter
09-23-2013, 07:39 PM
i had the same problem with the savage 111 kit gun. i eventually changed the mounts which helped, but, as luck should have it, i got a simmons scope with my gun which was only one step up from a magnifying glass and it wouldn't keep zero for long! junk! switched it with a bushnell and everything was wonderful. had to loosen the trigger pull a few pounds too. nice gun for the money.

eastkoot
09-24-2013, 09:04 AM
No need to use loctite on the scope screws. At the very least, loctite on the bases most use a drop of oil on bases.. Never a need to use loctite on the rings. A torgue wrench is your best bet to anchor the rings and bases.. Simmoms, nooooooo!!

bccanadian
09-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Hey there, I was the other guy at the range Sunday at the end of the day, you know the guy shooting my .22 across range haha. Thanks for the reminder by the way. Hope you get your gun back on zero shortly and good luck hunting!

Thanks. Now that I can lock down the screws, I'm going to have to head there again and zero it again. A buddy and I are heading out this weekend for a day hunt. It has to be a day hunt because he gets back into town Saturday afternoon and I have to be at work Monday morning.

r106
09-24-2013, 09:17 AM
No need to use loctite on the scope screws. At the very least, loctite on the bases most use a drop of oil on bases.. Never a need to use loctite on the rings. A torgue wrench is your best bet to anchor the rings and bases.. Simmoms, nooooooo!!

I agree. I loctite my bases with blue ( I should be using purple ) but never the rings. I have never had a problem. A lot of people don't realize that even using blue loctite on a small fine pitch screw can become permanent. Needing heat or drilled and re-taped.

bccanadian
09-24-2013, 09:22 AM
For torquing the screws, how many pounds do you torque it to? I wouldn't want to strip it nor under torque it because if it's under, I'll still have the same problem.