PDA

View Full Version : archery and shotgun deer reg 2

jetboat jim
09-23-2013, 06:42 PM
well this all started last year I went to a spot I have been hunting since 2010 , I parked in my usual spot and was going to finish my coffee , 20 minutes before daylight a truck pulls up , I get out to ask what his plans are and where he's headed ( we were at 2 spur rds off the main rd) he was a really nice fella, he said hes headed up to the first slash to go timber cruising .... I told him I wanted to hunt the rd that ran behind and up the mountain . he offered to give me a ride up and I jumped in . we have stayed in touch since via texting with a few calls. now to the good stuff ......on sunday I decided to head to that local spot and do a few hours of walking and timber cruising , as most of you know the weather was very wet , not much wind but rain and fog.....I was ugly . at several points I just wanted to turn around and crawl back into a nice warm dry bed. I got to the first slash that I have seen several deer in and its just off the road (more like a trail) after 10 minutes and only 1/2 hour into my walk I started to move along, I usually don't see many deer for the next 10-15 mins of walking ...........to my surprise 40 yards in front of me I see 2 deer coming down the trail , a little excited I watched them as the came close ( they knew I was there but were not alarmed) I seen it was 2 does so I started to move a little as they stopped at 20 yards I notice the bigger one was a spike buck ..... they stepped off the road at 8 yards and went into the timber , I followed I played cat and mouse for 1/2 hour with them but they kept moving not giving me a clear shot with my bow. the buck final cleared the trees at 30 yards and gave me a clean shot.....thwack .... http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r163/jetboatjimmy/image_zpsb7d3c0f5.jpg after 20 minutes I found the arrow , with blue knockturnal lighted knocks it was easy.....I decided to give the deer some time to bed as I was sure by the shot and blood it was a fatal shot.............................................. .....................................now the fella (Rob) I met last year always offered to help pack a deer out , so I gave him a call , he met me at the truck and w would drive his in for recovery, we found the spot where I found the arrow and after only 15-20 minutes of looking we found the deer 40-50 yards from where I shot it... now the fun stuff getting it out , not a big deer but any deer over stumps and timber is tough ....http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r163/jetboatjimmy/image_zpsf7c91bb3.jpg http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r163/jetboatjimmy/hunt2013038_zps7bbb2610.jpg

jetboat jim
09-23-2013, 06:59 PM
after a few minutes we decided to go further up the road , not 5 minutes later w found Robs buck a 2x2 with a crab claw kicker...60 yards off the road.....boom down .....deer #2 in the truck.http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r163/jetboatjimmy/hunt2013041_zpsff16ef80.jpg http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r163/jetboatjimmy/image_zpsf1e4b09d.jpg

jetboat jim
09-23-2013, 07:05 PM
I have to say one of the best days ive had in a while and well worth it, its cool to meet other forum members and become friends.

adriaticum
09-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Nice work Jim!

crazybushcreature
09-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Sounds like an awesome day out.

RoscoeP
09-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Good teamwork guys.

ElliotMoose
09-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Right on! Always an accomplishment bagging a deer in region 2. Going to be good eating

Blktail
09-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Awesome! Way to go.

Darksith
09-24-2013, 10:18 AM
nice work, 2 in 1 day, and 1 with a bow...great stuff. Congrats, thanks for sharing...will be some tastey viddles there

huntcoop
09-24-2013, 10:51 AM
That's a great story, who says karma doesn't exist.

adriaticum
09-24-2013, 11:02 AM
well this all started last year I went to a spot I have been hunting since 2010 , I parked in my usual spot and was going to finish my coffee , 20 minutes before daylight a truck pulls up , I get out to ask what his plans are and where he's headed ( we were at 2 spur rds off the main rd) he was a really nice fella, he said hes headed up to the first slash to go timber cruising .... I told him I wanted to hunt the rd that ran behind and up the mountain . he offered to give me a ride up and I jumped in . we have stayed in touch since via texting with a few calls. now to the good stuff ......on sunday I decided to head to that local spot and do a few hours of walking and timber cruising , as most of you know the weather was very wet , not much wind but rain and fog.....I was ugly . at several points I just wanted to turn around and crawl back into a nice warm dry bed. I got to the first slash that I have seen several deer in and its just off the road (more like a trail) after 10 minutes and only 1/2 hour into my walk I started to move along, I usually don't see many deer for the next 10-15 mins of walking ...........to my surprise 40 yards in front of me I see 2 deer coming down the trail , a little excited I watched them as the came close ( they knew I was there but were not alarmed) I seen it was 2 does so I started to move a little as they stopped at 20 yards I notice the bigger one was a spike buck ..... they stepped off the road at 8 yards and went into the timber , I followed I played cat and mouse for 1/2 hour with them but they kept moving not giving me a clear shot with my bow. the buck final cleared the trees at 30 yards and gave me a clean shot.....thwack .... after 20 minutes I found the arrow , with blue knockturnal lighted knocks it was easy.....I decided to give the deer some time to bed as I was sure by the shot and blood it was a fatal shot.............................................. .....................................now the fella (Rob) I met last year always offered to help pack a deer out , so I gave him a call , he met me at the truck and w would drive his in for recovery, we found the spot where I found the arrow and after only 15-20 minutes of looking we found the deer 40-50 yards from where I shot it... now the fun stuff getting it out , not a big deer but any deer over stumps and timber is tough ....http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r163/jetboatjimmy/image_zpsf7c91bb3.jpg

I meant to say b@$t@rd, stole my picture idea! :mrgreen: