PDA

View Full Version : Going elk hunting.

Jtt
09-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Hey there. I am planning on taking the wife up north (chetwynd,fort saint john) area to look for her first elk. I used to live in Chetwynd years ago but never got a chance to hunt the area at all. Im not expecting anyone to give up there spots or anything but any and all advice of where to go or not go would be muchly appreciated. We are looking to get in the area for 3 point or better bulls. A little better odds im hoping. We will be staying in a wall tent. Any good suggested camp spots would be great too. Thanks in advanve. PM me if you would like. JT

358jess
09-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Was just out the jackfish. Way overcrouded and saw no critters other than one really dumb Muley and grouse.

big game chaser
09-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Have to agree! Just got back felt like everywhere I went from ft Nelson to chetwynd spent a few weeks felt like going to the mall the day before Christmas nobody was seeing or hearing bugles other than the odd one any bull I got on there was usually another hunter on! Lol! It's pretty frustrating up there unless are a real socializer ! Lol!

Swamp mule
09-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Was out this evening and not a dang thing. Where there was four bulls (well minus one and now 3 bulls) with 20 cows they all buggered off. went the following weekend and called in a nice one but only came within 400yrds and not out from the bush. Most that I know of never bugled back. they are quiet and sneaky. I was bugling all evening and nothing showed but we are seeing good hoof print sign but I am thinking they are going nocturnal. Going to try another ranch in a couple days that I know that they were in there last yr. will let you know what happens. Heading up to halfway river area to conduct some inspections so I will see what is happening up there. Hopefully I don't get shot at.

Jtt
09-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Well thanks for all the info from everyone. Sounds like a busy place. Oh well, see if we can find somewhere to camp and hopefully not too many hunters

Swamp mule
09-26-2013, 11:01 PM
of the time that I spent in inspecting a range I did not see anyone but I did find a couple food plots and a tree stand. but definitely good elk and white tail deer habitat.