PDA

View Full Version : Bovine Tuberculosis Testing

PointMan
09-23-2013, 09:07 AM
Just on the radio this morning, this is all I could find online so far.

http://www.news1130.com/2013/09/22/deer-being-tested-for-bovine-tuberculosis/

Deer being tested for bovine tuberculosis There have been three cases in BC cattle in past years

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – A contagious disease that’s been a problem in deer populations in parts of North America is under watch here in BC.
People who hunt in the North Okanagan are being asked to submit the heads of deer for “bovine tuberculosis testing.
In the last few years, there have been three cases of bovine TB in BC cattle herds.
Wildlife vet Helen Schwantje says it’s been known to spread to deer, and it can become hard to control. “We want to ensure that our wildlife are healthy, and we want to ensure hunters stay healthy as well. We want to act early rather than waiting until later.”
Schwantje says they want to get ahead of any problems early. “Once a disease like this establishes in a deer herd, control is extremely difficult. So we really need to establish early when the disease does spread.”
It can spread to people, although Schwantje says it’s not a high risk.

Rackem
09-23-2013, 09:08 AM
We used to routinely TB test Bison in the Cariboo, what a gong show that was....never popped a positive however...

adriaticum
09-23-2013, 09:13 AM
We used to routinely TB test Bison in the Cariboo, what a gong show that was....never popped a positive however...

What do you mean gong show?

PointMan
09-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Anybody else heard anything about this? Is it compulsory? Where do you take the heads?

Sofa King
09-23-2013, 12:31 PM
why do they need the whole head?
maybe for the brain tissue?
couldn't they just take a sample.
I sure wouldn't be turning in any decent rack to them.

Sofa King
09-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Anybody else heard anything about this? Is it compulsory? Where do you take the heads?

it's not compulsory.
they can't "make" everyone bring their heads to them.

why don't they just visit all the butchers and get their samples from there?

iwing
09-23-2013, 09:42 PM
You can turn the head in at franks store in cherryville. They don't need the skull cap.

iwing
09-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Dear Shuswap Deer Hunters,

Please see the attached information on a deer health disease testing program occurring in Management Unit 8-23 (Cherryville area) this 2013 deer hunting season. We are requesting hunters save all of their deer heads from this MU and drop them off for sampling at Frank’s General Store (1193 Highway 6 -junction of Sugar Lake Road and Hwy 6) in Cherryville in the marked freezer. The details about what we need and what we are sampling for is attached to this email. The TB trifold is meant to be printed and folded into 3.

Please remember you can keep your antlers and skull plate, we don’t need them!

Cheers,
Helen Davis
coordinator

Helen Davis, MSc, RPBio
Artemis Wildlife Consultants
1-888-223-4376

Rackem
09-24-2013, 06:07 AM
What do you mean gong show?

Have you ever tried to take a blood sample from the tail vein of a Bison that is protesting with all it's might then inject a reactive agent into the same vein, and come back and check them all again in a few days for reaction?? I'm amazed no one was hurt, other than bruised hands...and for the bison, bloody noses...

09-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Have you ever tried to take a blood sample from the tail vein of a Bison that is protesting with all it's might then inject a reactive agent into the same vein, and come back and check them all again in a few days for reaction?? I'm amazed no one was hurt, other than bruised hands...and for the bison, bloody noses...

Sounds like that would make a good reality TV show, lol

Rackem
09-24-2013, 08:30 AM
My life has been like that LOL...Vet techs do weird shit...ever seen the "Kaiser"? AKA the Electrojac...

Savage7mm
09-30-2013, 10:58 AM
I shot a whitetail doe in cherryville last year. When we went to track it, it smelled like I had gut shot it. We found it about 40 yards away and it was hit in the lungs. When we opened it up the chest Cavity was full of a greenish/yellow puss. There were small tumours all over the lungs and inner rib cage. This was the first time I had ever experienced this and had no idea what it was. I began doing research and learned that a herd of cattle from cherryville had tested positive for Bovine tb at a slaughter facility. The whole herd was put down to prevent it spreading. I managed to track down Helen last fall and talked with her about it. Unfortunately I did not take any photos of it. I took a small sample of tissue from the inner ribs to be tested. I had left the lungs and cut out all of the tumours so I was unable to have them tested. The test showed a fungal infection. Based on my research everything I saw looked a lot like bovine tb. Helen was fantastic to talk to and was passionate about he work she does. There are no confirmed cases in bc but there are a few in Alberta. I did not take the deer to a butcher as I was concerned of contaminating other hunters meat. I made the tough decision to dispose of the animal. It seemed like a waste but I wasn't about to eat a sick animal.