PDA

View Full Version : Baiting in region 2 ????

Sasqman
09-22-2013, 10:32 PM
So anyways, went for a hike today in region 2 with my brother in law looking for grouse or hares, but more so a day to get out in the outdoors. (meaning we saw nothing) Along our hike, we came across what seemed like a baiting area/camp. Why do I say this, because it was at the end of a short little overgrown logging road, there was definitely a camping area, had a make shift outhouse, and a little "recently hacked out trail" that led to a ton of dog/cat food piled and spread out everywhere. And looked really recent as it wasn't all mushy from the rain. Not only that, there were bones everywhere, hundreds. Big bones that had been sawed, and did not have a spec of meat on them?

From what I have gathered and understood, there is no baiting for animals in BC........right?
What does this seem like to you guys?

Paul

Glenny
09-22-2013, 10:42 PM
You can use bait but not for bears. That sounds like bear bait there.

happyhunter
09-22-2013, 10:52 PM
So anyways, went for a hike today in region 2 with my brother in law looking for grouse or hares, but more so a day to get out in the outdoors. (meaning we saw nothing) Along our hike, we came across what seemed like a baiting area/camp. Why do I say this, because it was at the end of a short little overgrown logging road, there was definitely a camping area, had a make shift outhouse, and a little "recently hacked out trail" that led to a ton of dog/cat food piled and spread out everywhere. And looked really recent as it wasn't all mushy from the rain. Not only that, there were bones everywhere, hundreds. Big bones that had been sawed, and did not have a spec of meat on them?

From what I have gathered and understood, there is no baiting for animals in BC........right?
What does this seem like to you guys?

Paul

Baiting is not allowed for bears or migratory birds. Other then that, have at er. The regs offer more detail about this. Read up. The dog food and bones are pretty weird though, I'm not sure what that's about.

139grainsofhell
09-22-2013, 11:47 PM
I heard of guys using dog food as bear bait you shoul report it to the co's, I was out and about in 2 as well seen about as much as you did!!!

The Silent Stalker
09-22-2013, 11:50 PM
Did you notice any cameras hanging around? Maybe someone put out dog food hoping to catch a wolf or two? Wait, can't do that either, call CO's.

The Dawg
09-22-2013, 11:53 PM
You can bait wolves

Sasqman
09-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Would nt be any wolves in the area I was in. I knew about the bears and birds for baiting, wasnt sure on the other species though as I dont hunt big game yet............................but great information to know.
The dog food and bones made it feel kind of eery. Ckecked around for cams as well and didnt see any.
Maybe I should call the CO's .............. cant hurt.

stuffrider147
09-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Take pictures and report it to the local CO

bigbuckbuster
09-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Could have been an outdoor grow and they had dogs for security. Now that the season is over, the wild animals could have gotten into the leftover dog food. As for the bones...may also be for the dogs. Just a guess

itsy bitsy xj
09-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Maybe someone lost there dog and left the food for the dog until they can come back and find Rover...lol stupid yuppie city folk

r106
09-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Like others have said you can bait just about everything but bears. But it does sound like they might be targeting bears. And like others have said I would almost guaranty there would be trailcam or two there to see whats coming and going. Report to CO's

r106
09-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Maybe someone lost there dog and left the food for the dog until they can come back and find Rover...lol stupid yuppie city folk

hahaha coming from a guy from burnaby? lol

But it is another possibility

Dusty Roads
09-23-2013, 04:53 PM
I would report it for sure. Can't hurt either way.

ruger#1
09-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Would nt be any wolves in the area I was in. I knew about the bears and birds for baiting, wasnt sure on the other species though as I dont hunt big game yet............................but great information to know.
The dog food and bones made it feel kind of eery. Ckecked around for cams as well and didnt see any.
Maybe I should call the CO's .............. cant hurt.
If you were in region 2-08, There are wolves.

Sasqman
09-23-2013, 05:03 PM
If you were in region 2-08, There are wolves.

Was in 2-19, southern half

ruger#1
09-23-2013, 05:18 PM
There are wolves there also. There have been several shot through the years. I would report what you found. If you had a camera pictures would also help the COs out. Prime example of wolves in 2-19. Before Hemlock Resort was built my father hunted those hills. He had seen many wolves up there. The last wolf that I know of was shot two years ago close to Deroche General Store. In the eighties there were two that were shot close to Dewdney. A few spotted up Hatzic Prarrie a few years a go.

heyblast
09-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Call RAPP or local CO. Don't think about it do it. No baiting for bear and there's no wolf hunting in 2--19, maybe it's for coyotes. If the CO knows about it he'll check it out and decide what to do.

Big Lew
09-23-2013, 05:31 PM
Report it for sure.... can't hurt.
I stumbled on a gang of poachers with a similar setup many years ago. When the police and COs got involved, they found that the poachers were using crossbows with powerful lamps to kill anything that came along, cutting off the meat, (hence all the bones) and then selling it to Fraser Valley restaurants. When I saw their camp it had obviously been there for quite awhile. The hut and storage shed were covered with evergreen boughs in an effort to conceal them. The police brought me up to date on the situation after awhile, and one officer told me he had never seen anything so sickening as all the carcasses, including many little fawns, that were thrown over the canyon wall into Lost Creek.

Sasqman
09-23-2013, 07:33 PM
I did call the Conservation office this morning, and an officer did call me back in the afternoon and left a message. I returned his call and left a message. I would expect he will call me back tomorrow morning.

Paul

bccanadian
09-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Keep us posted, eh?

thanks

Sasqman
09-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Got a call this mornng from a CO in chilliwack. Him and his partner were going to check it out today.
I asked him if he could keep me posted on what they think is going on there for my own educational purposes
when I go out on future hikes/hunts....................he said no problem.

Paul

davet
09-24-2013, 10:20 AM
maybe someone had some dogs and they just dumped to food out when they left.

Sasqman
09-24-2013, 10:38 AM
The food amount was about equal to 5-8 large bags of dog food.......................bones would fill up at least 2 wheelbarrows.

ruger#1
09-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Good job Sasq, Keep us posted.

r106
09-24-2013, 11:14 AM
you did the right thing. If the CO's find nothing wrong then thats fine or maybe they might catch some poachers. I wouldn't post to much more info here on the site or location. You never know who's reading and wouldn't want to tip off anyone that there site is compromised

davet
09-24-2013, 01:16 PM
oh wow, ok thats a lot.

keep us up todate what the CO's find

The food amount was about equal to 5-8 large bags of dog food.......................bones would fill up at least 2 wheelbarrows.

Sasqman
09-24-2013, 01:29 PM
you did the right thing. If the CO's find nothing wrong then thats fine or maybe they might catch some poachers. I wouldn't post to much more info here on the site or location. You never know who's reading and wouldn't want to tip off anyone that there site is compromised

For sure! I was even questioning posting 2-19, cause I was thinking the same thing. (maybe I shouldnt have posted the sub-region?)
But will keep u guys posted if I hear anything.

Paul