PDA

View Full Version : Nice guys and quick bear hunt

000BuckJr
09-22-2013, 06:56 PM
The day started at about 5 am when we got out of bed and loaded the truck up, we sat until around 630 until we took off past Logan lake. We hit the mountain and we're trying to find an old area we were going to go in a few seasons back. We drove around for an hour only finding areas that had been closed off which was fairly recent. We spotted 3 whitetail does and 3 Miley does about 100 metres apart but nothing. We ran into some duck hunters who could point us the right direction to get into the hunting area and they gave us a trail just a few minutes to away. We thanked them and drove over to it, when we got onto the logging road we were now hunting. We drove about a click into the bush when my stepdad said "bear bear bear" and sure enough he was stood in the middle of the field. He caught wind of us and started a slow walk to the treeline, I hopped out of the truck, raised my gun and squeezed the trigger "click" maybe I should've chambered a round. I rushed over to a tree to steady my now shaky self, chambered a round and the bear turned broadside At that moment. I put the crosshairs behind the front leg and fired a shot. He went down where he stood. He tried to crawl away dragging his back paws and it wasn't a pretty sight so I chambered another and sent it through practically the same hole. My first shot went in, somehow hit the lungs and the spine as there was 2 entrance and 2 exit wounds in the lungs and the spine shot dropped him. It was my stepdads first bear hunt and it only took 5 minutes of hunting. The bear wasn't too big but it was a dandy for a day out of the house. We ran into the duck hunters and thanked them for the direction and they had a good day as well. Now onto mule deer!

000buckjr

000BuckJr
09-22-2013, 06:59 PM
I apologize for the spelling and/or word misuse I'm on an iPhone.

000buck
09-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Congrats on your bear, should be some good eats!!

Not to be a dick, but I hope you were not driving around with a loaded gun, because the way I read it, you were.

Cheers

SS

If the gun was loaded .... it wouldda went bang......

000buck
09-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Dont assume that because not every single detail is in the story that the kid did something wrong. He was with his step dad who knows the rules as well as he does. My point is you dont have one.

HarryToolips
09-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Congrats guys bear hams and sausage I'm guessin you'll make good eatin it'll be..good to be pred huntin, we need more bear hunters..

sarnold
09-22-2013, 09:50 PM
This is y some people won't post stories on this site......just saying:)
its to bad in my books

Sitkaspruce
09-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Yea

I was being a dick........for that I appoligize....sometimes sh*t happens, in this case it was me being an HBC saint and pointing out stuff that really doesn't make any difference.

Agaon congrats on the bear and enjoy what you harvested.

Cheers

SS

NaStY
09-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Read real fine for me, but you could have split it up a bit so old guys like me can read it better 😄

congrats on your bear. I'm sure it will make so some fond memories of you and your step dad.