PDA

View Full Version : Building a wall tent wood stove

mildcustom2
09-22-2013, 10:25 AM
So after being really cold last fall while camping in my 16'x20' Wall Tent I decided this year I'd put together my own wood stove. I've completed most of the major welding and just need to install the door, legs and electric fans. Yes that's right electric fans, I used 1"x3" rectangular steel to form a heat exchanger that runs back to front that will have two small 60CFM fans mounted. They only draw .18A each and will run off a couple of 12V marine deep cycle batteries that will be recharged by either a solar panel or inverter generator. 12V batteries will also run the LED lighting I have in the tent. The fans will be controlled by a mechanical thermostat so they will only run when required.

The dimensions are 26"x18"x16" High. It uses a 5" stove pipe that fits through the stove jack nicely. There's a 3/4" tubular steel frame inside and the sheet metal is 10GA to prevent it from warping from heat over time. There's a baffle 2 1/4" from the top below the chimney to prevent flames from shooting out the chimney and help get a more complete burn in the stove and keep heat from escaping.

Anways I decided to light a little fire in it and try it out last night while having a couple beer with a friend and the misses.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y446/1skasper/F3CB7E91-A16E-4FDA-B0DB-E642DB9408E3-8706-0000060B0299A073_zps244b364c.jpg

BimmerBob
09-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Looks like you have a nice burn going there, nice job on it thus far!

tuchodi
09-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Nice looking job. Looks like it will burn quite hot but how does the door open and how are the drafts built. I can't see it from the picture. What are you going to do for legs?

mildcustom2
09-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Nice looking job. Looks like it will burn quite hot but how does the door open and how are the drafts built. I can't see it from the picture. What are you going to do for legs?

The door will have a holes in it with a cover that will slide over them to control air flow. The door will be mounted on the front with a simple hinge and of course a gasket to prevent smoke from escaping.

As for the legs, because this sucker is relatively heavy I was thinking of welding a shaft on with some removable wheels and incorporating the legs into the handle essentially making it like a two wheeled dolly cart for transport. That way I don't have to lift it which is possible but I'd like to try and save my back.

I will update as construction continues.

Elkaddict
09-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Looks good, that should keep you toasty this year. It looks very similar to the one we use. We have added a length of small J channel along the side. A rectangular stainless water jacket the same length of the stove with a tap out the front hangs off it, so we always have hot water when the stove is lit. We also have an aluminum lid slightly smaller than the top footprint that sits about 6" high that serves as an oven, as well as a large stainless homemade frying pan that sits either directly on top of the stove or on a ventilated standoff. All together it makes an indispensable unit we couldn't be without.