PDA

View Full Version : Easiest moose call...

blackford
09-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Never hunted for moose but got a bull draw...

Looking at getting a call but wondering if any were easier /better than others ...

Looking for some advice. Thanks

Darksith
09-21-2013, 10:53 PM
your mouth. They aren't picky, and every moose is different. Listen to some calls online somewhere (youtube), practice a bit and go for it. I usually cow call, that will get a bull to respond and possibly come in. If you see the moose, then switch to a bull and pretend you are another smaller bull.

Quince
09-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Old school. Baked beans can with a string.

The Silent Stalker
09-22-2013, 12:13 AM
I found the Pringles can, with a canvas shoe lace(wet the shoe lace and pull through thumb and fingers) sounds good. Move around when doing it, up high, bring it low, out front, turn around...... Try to sound like a bull who's moving his head around a bit. Good luck!

Sofa King
09-22-2013, 01:16 AM
don't waste $$ on a bought call.
heavy tar-paper rolled into a cone works great.
or do old-school and peel some bark off a birch.

the pringles can sounds even simpler and tastier.

Ltbullken
09-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Cup your hands around your mouth and pinch your nose with your index fingers. Now make a loud mournful 'wooooaaaaaaaah' sound. The call should trail off at the end. Do this in good habitat early in the morning and late afternoon. Go back to that same spot for a few days and call as bulls might meander a bit before coming in close to respond back. Do 3 or 4 calls in a row about 15 seconds apart. Then wait about 15 minutes. Repeat. Call for about 2 hours then give it a rest. Be alert and scan 360 degrees. I've had bulls wonder in very silently and get very close before grunting back. If you hear any noise around you, there is a good chance there is a bull moving around. As above, not a bad idea to mix in a bull grunt near the end of the 2 hours. Might bring a bull out to challenge. This has worked well for me.

doubled
09-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Mouth works awesome. Our group of four guys all do this and our calls are all different. Each guy has called in bulls too so we know this works regardless. Listen to some videos on you tube and start practicing. If you have a dog, he will go nuts when you start calling in the house.

Sofa King
09-22-2013, 09:40 AM
also, call near camp just before turning in. quite often there will be a bull standing there in the morning.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Mouth works awesome. Our group of four guys all do this and our calls are all different. Each guy has called in bulls too so we know this works regardless. Listen to some videos on you tube and start practicing. If you have a dog, he will go nuts when you start calling in the house.

Yep. Watch some of the rack man videos. He can really work those bulls!

Big7
09-22-2013, 03:10 PM
also, call near camp just before turning in. quite often there will be a bull standing there in the morning.

Funny...killed a 60" bull first thing the am using this method! Woke me up from a dead sleep in the wall tent grunting 25 yds from the tent.

Sofa King
09-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Funny...killed a 60" bull first thing the am using this method! Woke me up from a dead sleep in the wall tent grunting 25 yds from the tent.

it's amazing.
they'll locate that call right to the inch.

landphil
09-22-2013, 03:53 PM

So, what you are really saying is that snoring if a very effective way to call in bulls to close range.:-D

So long as you don't drive up and down the roads yelling "Bullwinkle" repeatedly at the top of your lungs, its not about making the perfect noise or tone when calling, rather, do your best and have the paitence to wait for the results. A couple years ago, I witnessed first hand a cow calling a bull back to her - my brother called it down the hill toward him, she was calling back. I was very surprized at the tone of her call, very high pitched compared to anything I'd previously heard that was supposed to be a cow call. Similar tone to a reved out chainsaw, for lack of a better way to describe it.

noahs ark
09-22-2013, 04:01 PM

Maybe I'll give it a whirl from the bed of the truck and see if the bulls in there when I wake up

BuckEye
09-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Saw a wide brimmed soft hat used (tillie shape) then placed back on hunters head. Dual use... 15 minutes later 3 wolves appeared 20ft away. Moose found later..

40incher
09-22-2013, 06:26 PM
It's not so much the method but the timing ... use the cow call, as in the hazed cow being bothered by a bull prior to the big event ... once the bull starts coming in grunting, only call when he holds up. Moose calling 101. Good Luck!! ... and watch out for that endangered Grizzly Bear coming in for the kill (that would be you).

Sofa King
09-22-2013, 06:34 PM
^^yup.
as above posts mentioned, with calling, be it moose, deer, or whatever, always be alert for a predator, bear, wolf, cougar, etc.

blackwater moose
09-23-2013, 08:27 AM
start out calling softly, if no response increase the volume of the call. do not over call, and above all have the patience to wait, sometimes these big boys have to travel some distance. whichever method you use, pratice , practice, practice.I used to practice in my truck driving around, got some funny looks at times. good luck