PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Quince
09-21-2013, 10:42 PM
So your on a quad at dawn, riding a trail with a fresh dust of snow and 100m into the trail you see a guy walking/hunting it. Etiquette dictates that you..........

DLP
09-21-2013, 10:50 PM
turn around let him have it. he was there first.

Darksith
09-21-2013, 10:55 PM
ride up to him, chat with him then go from there. He maybe going somewhere different. That or turn around. Depends on the exact situation, but in the end he beat ya there, let him have it.

itsy bitsy xj
run him over and use his body to bait a bear.

odie1830
You turn around ! Try somewhere else, but you could also talk to him and see where he is planning on hunting. There may be other branched off roads where he is not intending to hunt.

Drillbit
09-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Should've seen his tracks somewhere, or even his parked truck.

If you see him, might as well talk to him. Let him pick where he wants to hunt as he was there first. May or may not be room for you too.

Quince
09-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Just thrown it out there.... i was the guy on foot last year following some nice fresh buck tracks, guy whipped by on quad and ruined the tracks. I went off in another direction and when i went back to my truck for lunch guess who had a 4pt mule on the back driving out of the trail entrance. Must have been smoke coming out of my ears!!

outdoorsk
09-21-2013, 11:18 PM
I would talk to the guy, then go some where else, I have been in both situations before.

The Silent Stalker
09-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Damn, beer just came out my nose, haha.

The Silent Stalker
09-22-2013, 12:05 AM
It's a shitty situation but happens more and more. I've had guys follow me on foot 50yrds behind me on a trail, guys blow past me on quads on trails, trucks try to prevent you from passing them when they're doing 10-15kms an hour on a road with 60+kms in front of them and 4 dozen FSR branches ahead...... I have gone past guys on their feet when I run into them on a quad trail and I have had to follow a guy across a long cut at first light(tried to give him room but I was heading to an area at the far end of the road and off the beaten path) I was going into the spot with about an hour to look around and collect my trail cams. I had to be home by lunch and wasn't returning to the area again to hunt anymore because it was the last day of the season and the snow was coming(wouldn't make it back in there with anymore snow). I wasn't leaving my cams out there because one guy was walking a cut block at first light, I gave him as much room as I could but eventually had to pass him, he was pissed, sure, but hey, that's hunting public land. I try not to bother people(if I see others, I just think I haven't gone far enough) but sometimes it's hard, everyone thinks they're the only ones out there.

Sofa King
09-22-2013, 01:10 AM
I agree with being courteous.
but, there's a point where you only do so much.
that trail might go on forever, there's lots of bush.
if someone wants to get into a certain spot and hopefully be the first there, they best get in there plenty early.
and, if I know there's a certain deer in an area that i'm after, I don't care if there's five guys in there, i'm looking for that deer.

I've watched a guy come to the end of a trail, set up a target on a tree, and blast a pile of shots off then drive away.
one would think that's that for that spot.
but not 30 minutes later, the deer started coming out from the trees into the cutblock at that very spot.
and last year, I parked the quad at the end of the trail, then did a long, inconvenient hike just to sneak into an area from the backside.
I got to my spot and settled in to watch the area through last light.
after awhile, I hear the sound of a truck.
it slowly drives to the end, then obviously sees my quad sitting there, which must have pissed him off that someone else was in there before him.
then I hear a bunch of gunshots, just blasting away, and the truck tears out of the area, revving his engine and spinning his wheels as much as he can.
I've also hiked into a nice steep block and sat in the center of it, on a great vantage spot.
seen some great deer in there, and a friend got a smokin' buck there early last season.
from a previous hike, I had went right to the top and was surprised to find an old trail the ran along the very top that must have come in from a different area.
I got in there that afternoon, waiting for something to hopefully walk out in the later hours.
then, as the day got late, I hear a low drone and look for the source.
there, up at the top of the cut, a set of headlights pull up and park overlooking the cut from above.
totally spoiled my hunt, and all the work I put in hiking in there early and getting set up.
but, it's public land and the risk we take sharing it.

Big Lew
09-22-2013, 03:41 AM
"if someone wants to get into a certain spot and hopefully be the first there, they best get in there plenty early."
I agree.

" if I know there's a certain deer in an area that i'm after, I don't care if there's five guys in there, i'm looking for that deer."
I don't agree.

decker9
09-22-2013, 04:39 AM
Just the other day I was moose hunting. Parked my truck in the middle of the road, with about a km of road left that went into a block. Wasent sitting 5 mins in my moose hole and 3 quads pull up and start shooting grouse on the road right behind me about 300 yards. Needless to say i was sending alot of words and hand jestiuors theyr way! Pretty ignorant on they'r part! If I could have caught up to them there would have been alot more words spoke, and with my temper, probably more! If I seen anyone walking, a truck or quad parked, even foot tracks in the snow, turn the f around. Especially if you don't know where the hunter(s) are. No worse feeling then sitting all quiet and all of a sudden lead is flying all around.

r106
09-22-2013, 07:21 AM
If I know the road is a dead end then I will turn around. If it keeps going for awhile and has a couple options then I would talk to the guy and make a plan.

.300WSMImpact!
09-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Just the other day I was moose hunting. Parked my truck in the middle of the road, with about a km of road left that went into a block. Wasent sitting 5 mins in my moose hole and 3 quads pull up and start shooting grouse on the road right behind me about 300 yards. Needless to say i was sending alot of words and hand jestiuors theyr way! Pretty ignorant on they'r part! If I could have caught up to them there would have been alot more words spoke, and with my temper, probably more! If I seen anyone walking, a truck or quad parked, even foot tracks in the snow, turn the f around. Especially if you don't know where the hunter(s) are. No worse feeling then sitting all quiet and all of a sudden lead is flying all around.

big bush out there, and public land, having a temper over these things will only get your guns taken away for assault, but maybe I am just use to hunting high hunter traffic area, this scenario is just another day, I have passed people and people passed me, I have learned to use others pressure as a positive for me

Muliechaser
09-22-2013, 08:12 AM
big bush out there, /, I have learned to use others pressure as a positive for me

You bet! Lmao

butthead
09-22-2013, 08:16 AM
its a big free area
i use guys on foot to scare the deer for me

Ron.C
09-22-2013, 08:16 AM
If I know the road is a dead end then I will turn around. If it keeps going for awhile and has a couple options then I would talk to the guy and make a plan. agree 100%.

406elcamino
09-22-2013, 08:27 AM
A couple days ago when we first had are first rain I went to this spot that is very accessible I got there around 5ish parked the truck getting ready to walk in and see a guy doing the same just passed me. So I walk up and we bs for a bit tells me he just came from where I was headed but he was driving said he seen a spike earlier went our ways nice guy.

Friday me and a friend arrive there walking the same place and we come across a guy who is road hunting he drove passed us a few times didn't look at us just kept driving. Eventually we started walking to another area where we seen him again same thing no eye contact didn't wave just cruised by... So we get back to where we parked and at this time there was 2 other guys driving around and he stops to tell us this is bullshit 3 other groups in HIS spot! Lol what a tit

frenchbar
09-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Depending on what the terrain we were in was like ..I might just use them to my advantage and just head off in the opposite direction and find a spot to sit and catch the animals as they circle back jack and that's a fact:-D jel-back///

doubled
09-22-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm sure this has been said before but if you are on a road, expect this crap. Get off and start bushwacking. No quads, trucks and other vehicles. You will also tend to see more and bigger animals when you hoof it.

HIGHRPM
09-22-2013, 09:06 AM
LOL !!! A great reply to say the least .

HIGHRPM
09-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Trail is his, being fair and giving a dam. It would suck to lose out, but fair is fair.

Quince
09-22-2013, 09:13 AM
I know its public land, but it was far from a fsr road and he had to have passed my truck on the way in. My answer was just to buy a quad! Lol. Just have to remember both sides.

Glenny
09-22-2013, 09:18 AM
should........ have seen his twacks and saw how fresh they were, surmised he was just ahead of you and then turned around.

The Hermit
09-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Had a three instances this year while elk hunting in the EK with the same group of four guys on three quads where we were in first. The guys approached and talked with us about our plans, which happened to be their plan too. They were great about it and although a little disappointed left the area. Thanks to the guys from Kamloops!!

Jelvis
09-22-2013, 10:01 AM
It's not about what wood you do? It's about your wrong decision to not jump off the road and go in. You went on the road. Kept going and going on it. Are you Willy Nelson. On the road again, scared to get lost off road? Roads are built for vehicles, dah. lol If I'm walking up a road on my lonesome and when I hear any type of motorized vehicle or atv I go into the bush and hide behind something til he/she is gone, do not stop and talk to any one when going in. Coming out's different.
Once you two newbs talk at each other you just blew a gasket, deer and animals here voices easy from across vallies and through ravines.
An (experienced hiker hunter) going in ain't about to talk at anytime to anybody he or she avoids it at all costs when going in.
.. The silent treatment is what I do, the person walking or on the quad wouldn't have seen me I wood b in the woods off road, went in to the forest ridges.
You sound young and inexperienced in the old vayz of going in
Now it's going on in kinda like lol, it's now going on the roads.
Some people race to the end of the road to be first at the clearcut or they cry baby
you live by the roads you die by the roads and you see other clowns to blame imho
(Zip It) Shut it Early going in -- lead follow or git the ---- out of the way.
Jel (the Rock Says) Know Yer Role and Shut the Pie Hole It's time to lay the smackdown

Quince
09-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Ok jelvis, im sorry i didnt use my super ninja skills and disappear. Good luck with that, just hope you dont have any rattlers on you pack while your doing your hidey thing. And the rock says? Lol!!

Jelvis
09-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Quince eh your doin good getting out there and learning from experience on your own.
As you feel more comfortable out in the bush you will learn way more.
The fact you were following a nice track up the road with fresh snow shows your going in the right direction and keep following tracks because that is going to the animal.
Jel .. Quincy Jones .. trackin tracks way back in dah bush .. keep it up Didwell.

Glenny
09-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Zip.......zi......zi.....z....z

Quince
09-22-2013, 11:11 AM
LoL......man i just cant wait to get back in the bush.

300H&H
09-22-2013, 11:12 AM
ride up to him, chat with him then go from there. He maybe going somewhere different. That or turn around. Depends on the exact situation, but in the end he beat ya there, let him have it.

X2....or just run his ass over for being in YOUR hunting area. ;-)

300H&H
09-22-2013, 11:13 AM
LoL......man i just cant wait to get back in the bush.

Your talking about hunting....right ?

Jelvis
09-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Quince your a tracker, and you are a natural animaltracker, you see the fresh imprint right there on the ground below you, and the snow fell last night.
You mentioned the drive by shooter erased the track with the tire prints of the atv'er who crossed you by driving bye bye.
Those deer tracks are still there where the driver dint drive on so you can still follow the track of the potential world record trophy buck all the way to it's hideout.
Be an animal tracker in snowy conditions, esp new moist 4 inches of the white truth
and C how to live the fire. You follow step 4 step until you C movement. 4C
slow down stop look, go slow always and stop and look as you walk.
Look at the slopes up to ridgetops. Even in Reebocks not!
Jellinator (Fore See) I'll B Bock 4 C into the future and catch up to the present

steel_ram
09-22-2013, 12:34 PM
What would you do if you were walking a trail and realized there was another hunter hunting the same trail 100 yards ahead of you? Why should it be any different because your on a machine?

303carbine
09-22-2013, 01:58 PM
So your on a quad at dawn, riding a trail with a fresh dust of snow and 100m into the trail you see a guy walking/hunting it. Etiquette dictates that you..........

Try walking for once and get there earlier....

Darksith
09-22-2013, 02:26 PM
I agree with being courteous.
but, there's a point where you only do so much.
that trail might go on forever, there's lots of bush.
if someone wants to get into a certain spot and hopefully be the first there, they best get in there plenty early.
and, if I know there's a certain deer in an area that i'm after, I don't care if there's five guys in there, i'm looking for that deer.

and so if you are the late one, you don't think the guy that beat you there deserves some room? As you say, better get their early, or you are the douche that blows by a guy cause you slept in...don't care how much trail is in front of him, like you said, theres lots of bush, you should go somewhere else. Maybe hit the timber and try to pass him, but don't just blow by a guy. You contradict yourself

Darksith
09-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Communication will always keep everyone happy :)

Sofa King
09-22-2013, 02:53 PM
and so if you are the late one, you don't think the guy that beat you there deserves some room? As you say, better get their early, or you are the douche that blows by a guy cause you slept in...don't care how much trail is in front of him, like you said, theres lots of bush, you should go somewhere else. Maybe hit the timber and try to pass him, but don't just blow by a guy. You contradict yourself

it's not contradicting.
every situation is different and could require different actions.

and that guy doesn't have rights to any area.
for all anyone knows, he could be going twenty more feet and going off to the left to an area he likes.
why turn around and leave.
some are just way beyond courteous.

now if a guy's sitting on an area, or about to take a shot, respect and common courtesy should be used.
but it's not necessary to leave an entire area just because someone else is walking or driving down a trail.

Darksith
09-22-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm sure this has been said before but if you are on a road, expect this crap. Get off and start bushwacking. No quads, trucks and other vehicles. You will also tend to see more and bigger animals when you hoof it.

we be talkin about a trail here...

Darksith
09-22-2013, 03:01 PM
it's not contradicting.
every situation is different and could require different actions.

and that guy doesn't have rights to any area.
for all anyone knows, he could be going twenty more feet and going off to the left to an area he likes.
why turn around and leave.
some are just way beyond courteous.

now if a guy's sitting on an area, or about to take a shot, respect and common courtesy should be used.
but it's not necessary to leave an entire area just because someone else is walking or driving down a trail.

it is totally a contradiction. You say "if you want a spot you better get there early", then you say if he beats me there and I know theres a certain deer around Im going in no matter what...you snooze, you lose. You start off saying be courteous, then you immediately say Im only gonna give him so much room, thats not really being courteous...So hes walking a trail, you chat with him, and hes gonna walk in a km to an opening, what do you do dualie, do you pass him just because you want in to that area because you know theres a critter, or do you at least give him first walk in on the trail because you slept in?

If I knew there was a monster deer around, Im there at 3am, or Im spending the night. Its just that simple. A guy is on a trail, and he beats me to the trail. Im gonna talk to him before I book out, but Im not gonna look to pass him no matter what. I may follow behind him an hour or something after I chat with him, but its a judgement call at the time I agree. But Im gonna give him first dibs on the walk in, thats for sure. I always think about, what would my reaction be if the situation was reversed, and I tell you right now, Im walking a trail into a spot, and some guy blows by me (its happened)...Im not smiling and saying "oh well"

Spy
09-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Had a three instances this year while elk hunting in the EK with the same group of four guys on three quads where we were in first. The guys approached and talked with us about our plans, which happened to be their plan too. They were great about it and although a little disappointed left the area. Thanks to the guys from Kamloops!!
They were good guys & we would have shown them the same curtisy if they were there first. It was a long rd with a couple trails & they could have easly told us to pound it.Respect your fellow hunters hunters its not that difficult to do. :-).

Spy
09-22-2013, 04:30 PM
What would you do if you were walking a trail and realized there was another hunter hunting the same trail 100 yards ahead of you? Why should it be any different because your on a machine?

Its very different a single hunter does not make as much noise as a machine does. Hunting elk in E Koots this year we got our asses out of bed early & were in our treestands before legal shooting time. We had an awesome view point on the top of the mountain & could see the rd winding up the mountain. Our first hour was totally cool we had bulls bugling all around us. We new they were close & the anticipation was building for a close incounters.
Then the dreaded drone of a quad broke the silence as it drove all the way up the mountain,needless to say the elk went quiet & our hunt was over.
I was pretty disipointed as alot of time & effort went into getting there early sneaking in quietly,calling in the elk to have it ruined by some ignorant dumbass on a quad,that could not get his ass out of bed earlier enough to be in place when the witching hour started.
Very frustrating to say the least. So to answer your question, if that guy on the quad had of parked it and walked up the hill he might have got a poke at an elk. But instead he ****ed up a goodmorning by driving his noisy machine, right into the honyhole during witching hour, ****ing it up for more than 5 other groups of hunters hunting the 11 km of hillside.

2 years ago moose hunting same thing as soon as the quads started buzzing around checking out every rd, the moose got pushed way back into the thick shit. I have no problem with guys getting in to a spot early on there quads & hunting on foot from there, but dont be driving around during the witching hour.
Rant over!:-)

Jelvis
09-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Your going to hear and see other teams of hunters in any hot to trot deer huntin area.
Use those others to push the deer, see where these intruders of your spot for years and now invaders of the honey hole homey.
You know the surroundings you cover it like a blanket, for a lifetime there coming in over there so go around the hill above the area there going to in that direction and wait, they push the whole herd into your lap top. BaHoom! Thanks for pushin the bush homey hah, what a buck. Use adversarial conditions to your benefit instead of cryin bout it.
Your on your own when you pull that trigger, so realize, first recognize what target really is. Make sure of your target b4 pulling the pin.

Ltbullken
09-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Stop, chat, sort out your plans and go the appropriate ways. If he was heading in there first, it's his to hunt and I make different plans. If your going to end up in different locations, make it work. Generally, when I find that someone else has entered my hunt area, I pretty much assume that my hunt plan is blown and there is no sense in hunting it anymore for that day anyway.

KnifeGuy
09-23-2013, 10:38 AM
I really think it depends on the area, I mean around Kamloops for example if you are hunting Tunkwa or Greenstone you are going to run into people and it would likewise be pretty silly to think you are the only one in the area. So in high pressure areas like those, I would say keep on going past the guys, it's just the name of the game in places like that. That being said the old saying "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" is also true. If you come upon a group of people, dont get all holier than thou with the "this is my spot, GTFO routine". Instead, maybe share a few tips and be about your way with no hard feelings. There's lots of land to be had (at least around here haha). Now, if you are way way way out and in the bush and happen to come across someone or their gear, yeah give them space and find somewhere else. Just my .02

HarryToolips
09-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Follow em around silently to learn their awesome spots, then when they're gonna pull the trigger, make sure you shoot it first, then be real loud in your celebration..lol no always good to yak to em and see where their headin, then stay away..

Darksith
09-23-2013, 11:07 AM
I really think it depends on the area, I mean around Kamloops for example if you are hunting Tunkwa or Greenstone you are going to run into people and it would likewise be pretty silly to think you are the only one in the area. So in high pressure areas like those, I would say keep on going past the guys, it's just the name of the game in places like that. That being said the old saying "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" is also true. If you come upon a group of people, dont get all holier than thou with the "this is my spot, GTFO routine". Instead, maybe share a few tips and be about your way with no hard feelings. There's lots of land to be had (at least around here haha). Now, if you are way way way out and in the bush and happen to come across someone or their gear, yeah give them space and find somewhere else. Just my .02
remember though, we are talking trails, not road hunting. Its a completely different ball game when your hunting outta the truck or quad on roads that all interconnect and intertwine. Totaly agree though, if your on a ROAD, you can't expect much privacy. A trail or a small clearing while on foot, you should be able to have some space. If I was walking a big block and I saw someone else from afar doing the same I would head in the opposite direction.

Ron.C
09-23-2013, 11:28 AM
rs.
Then the dreaded drone of a quad broke the silence as it drove all the way up the mountain,needless to say the elk went quiet & our hunt was over.
I was pretty disipointed as alot of time & effort went into getting there early sneaking in quietly,calling in the elk to have it ruined by some ignorant dumbass on a quad,that could not get his ass out of bed earlier enough to be in place when the witching hour started.
2 years ago moose hunting same thing as soon as the quads started buzzing around checking out every rd, the moose got pushed way back into the thick shit. I have no problem with guys getting in to a spot early on there quads & hunting on foot from there, but dont be driving around during the witching hour.

My comments are getting off track as the origional poster was making reference to a slightly differnt situation, but we all know there are folks that choose to road hunt. And their's nothing wrong with that. But if you set up so near to roads that the road hunters may ruin it for you, perhaps you should set up further from the road.

Singleshotneeded
09-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Stop n chat, find out where he's going and stay away from that area, as he was there first...

Spy
09-23-2013, 11:48 AM
I agree with your observation, we were off the rd but not far enough. Our stands were great for the first day or 3 but things sure changed when the first quad Drove up the rd. The bulls just moved house, like they new what was happening. Im sure the elk hear quads & realize its time to vacate,the noisy wolves are back, sure did feel like it.

BRrooster
09-23-2013, 04:11 PM
If you want your own spot all to yourself, you better come up with the cash and buy yourself a section of land, and post it. It sucks when someone gets to the spot that you scouted and decided to hunt, but Crown Land is open to all. I say first come first hunt. If you can talk and come to an agreement to both hunt the same area , thats great. Trails or dead end roads that someone beat you to, oh well, sucks to be you! I would want the guy behind me to back out until I was done my hunt.
Now FSR'ds that wander all over the place thats a different story. The guys I hunt with slow down, to see if the guy is actually sighting in on a game animal, crawl past, wave or give a thumbs up, and continue on our way. Good luck to everyone. Its great to be out there.

remington666
09-23-2013, 05:50 PM
ive had the same thing happen to me in squamish although i was only hunting grouse ,there is enough roads and mountains and trails the atv should turn around and beat it ,well after talking to the other hunter if both parties are friendly that is ,ive met some pretty misserable folks in the bush lol.

Jelvis
09-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Do people have a tendency to use others for an excuse to go home cuz they're looking for a reason to leave for the day and go home.
Or I dint get nuttin cuz some other person spoiled my plan to hunt anyways.
Or it was light out anyways and I was late because of this dirk wad so no use hunting anymore I'm out of "The Zone"
It's more cowboy hat then cows, your not in the mood to hunt for many reasons anyways and looking for an excuse
Or maybe your a little scared of something and feel out of place or in the wrong timing.
It's cold, very little snow on the ground a skiff, and your by yerself.
If you leave the road up a mountain side take a compass reading. Think where you came from and go accordingly into the forest cover off the road.
If you get mixed up fast with direction in the darkness of the forest walk along beside the road in the bush so you can still see the road a ways away but following along in the bush. You'll see more deer evidence, droppings, trails and rubs.
Jel .. You gotta take a chance sooner or later if you want to hunt inside the forest with no roads. Use compass. Don't go in late in the day go in the fornoon for a jaunt

adriaticum
09-23-2013, 09:19 PM
I'd definitely talk to the guy and discuss the plans, make sure we are not shooting at each other.

festerstix
09-23-2013, 09:35 PM
The percentage of ignorant ethically challenged slob hunters on ATV's and in trucks is increasing annually. Guys think they can block roads and restrict access; they blow past people...hell, even if they see you hunting they'll go out of their way to ruin your hunt rather than slip away quietly. Funny how I've never EVER had a problem with guys on foot.

Jelvis
09-23-2013, 09:50 PM
If things go wrong early on a kinda planned hunt for the day, you wanted to be out there b4 it got real light, park it, get things ready and start hoofin in a ways, as the day begins on the ridge early sunup, walking slow short steps and steady.
Now it's fully light and still haven't started hikin in.
Many hunters start out from home at 9 in the morning and still nail a big four.
Don't let your fear and paranoia run your life on the bush roads driving or walking you can still get lost.
Mixed up, some dimentia problems, everything looks the same in this bush, let's see where's the truck? Now your confused and you hesitate. Your in fear.
And you should be if your mixed up big in lil china. Getting dark soon and ahh?
Jel .. Face your fear and walk in just once, and conquor your demon.
R U afraid of the dark?

DR800
09-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Hello, i`m DR800 and it seems that i have been categorized as an "ignorant ethically challenged slob hunter" because i utilize my atv or truck to get around. It wasn`t always that way but after three serious injuries over the years, my long hike days are done. So to ALL the hunters walking roads, quad trails, sitting in stands, blinds etc that i have ruined hunts for by driving my quad or truck on logging roads, fsr`s, skidder trails, i apologize. After finding out who i have become ( ignorant ethically challenged slob hunter) i had to sit down with my three sons and break the bad news to them :( They are all successful hunters in their 20`s and rarely use their quads or trucks to get around. Unfortunately it would appear that they too are on the road to being......." ignorant ethically challenged slob hunters " I feel so guilty to know they have watched me become just that, an "ignorant ethically challenged slob hunter". Now for the record HBCers, i have never blocked a road, restricted access other than on my own property and the odd time i encounter a walker i make contact . If things aren`t going to jive i just f-off elsewhere. Boy i feel messed up now, anybody else ?

Darksith
09-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Hello, i`m DR800 and it seems that i have been categorized as an "ignorant ethically challenged slob hunter" because i utilize my atv or truck to get around. It wasn`t always that way but after three serious injuries over the years, my long hike days are done. So to ALL the hunters walking roads, quad trails, sitting in stands, blinds etc that i have ruined hunts for by driving my quad or truck on logging roads, fsr`s, skidder trails, i apologize. After finding out who i have become ( ignorant ethically challenged slob hunter) i had to sit down with my three sons and break the bad news to them :( They are all successful hunters in their 20`s and rarely use their quads or trucks to get around. Unfortunately it would appear that they too are on the road to being......." ignorant ethically challenged slob hunters " I feel so guilty to know they have watched me become just that, an "ignorant ethically challenged slob hunter". Now for the record HBCers, i have never blocked a road, restricted access other than on my own property and the odd time i encounter a walker i make contact . If things aren`t going to jive i just f-off elsewhere. Boy i feel messed up now, anybody else ?

and I think we just hit rock bottom lol...

twinpeaks3
09-27-2013, 09:48 AM
So if someones walking up a road I should turn around....really. Dont know how many times you see people park their trucks and walk as soon as there is anything that might scratch their truck.good for them.Im not scared of BC pinnstriping so I keep goingup to the end of the road/ trail passing the guy on foot and start my hunt...on foot often 10 km in at the end of the trail where this guy walking will never go to. Yup if there is no destination in mind and someones walking Ill turn around every time but if Im going somewhere and this person isn't going to make it there on foot why should i abort my plans. We all know a vehicle ahead of you can be a good thing or a bad thing. it doesnt mean the hunt is over for the guy on foot. And for the guys blocking roads your just asking for some jerk to mess with your vehicle.....not worth it. As for the quad (which I also use) passing you in the snow while your on a track......sad.I would never dream of it. let a guy do his thing, he was on it first.

twinpeaks3
09-27-2013, 09:57 AM
The percentage of ignorant ethically challenged slob hunters on ATV's and in trucks is increasing annually. Guys think they can block roads and restrict access; they blow past people...hell, even if they see you hunting they'll go out of their way to ruin your hunt rather than slip away quietly. Funny how I've never EVER had a problem with guys on foot.

So if they use their trucks to block roads that must mean they are on foot....right? so know you have ignorant ethically challenged slob foot hunters. It doesnt matter how you choose to hunt there are jerks in all groups.

jhausner
09-27-2013, 10:20 AM
I think blocking roads is an ass thing to do. I've had that happen before in areas I know there are loads of other cross roads on basically cutting off 50% of our hunting grounds, no chance them in a single pickup could hunt. Also had a hunting buddy of mine jump out of our truck and head up a hill near Clinton chasing a 4 point so I went around to park the truck up where he was heading and pick him up but some kids (they were 16 or 17) had parked their 4x4 across a creak crossing preventing anyone from passing.

Was actually amuzing because another guy from the area showed up in a big F350 raised pickup and we sat for 5 minutes then he says "they have 5 more minutes them I'm hooking their Toyota on my winch and yanking it into the creek." and I don't doubt he would have did it. Lucky for them they showed up and he proceeded to give them an ear full since apparently he recognized them as local kids.

To the topic question though, out of respect I would never blast by anyone hunting a non-main through road. If it is an off road then I would typically either turn around (if I know it isn't long or doesn't open up into a lot of other areas) or I'd stop at a good distance, watch for a few to see if he/she were stalking something (can tell usually by how they walk and look around), then if I think it is good aka they aren't stalking, pull up slow and have a quick chat to see what they are planning.

If it is a main road then that's life. I'd still do the stop and make sure I'm not treading through while they are stalking something actively, but I'd probably just pass then with a wave. The truth is Hunting is as much about luck and timing as it is skill I've found and I have netted fine Deer around corners 5 minutes after quaders blasted or dirt bikers blasted by me. Not everyone out on a quad or a dirt bike are hunting either. A lot of areas you have locals that already netted their animals and are just having fun and lets face it in those areas the Deer are used to the noise of quads and snow mobiles so they typically aren't as spooked.

I have also thought (and this is just a guess) then if a Deer hears a quad go ripping by, then silence, they may think everything is clear and pop out in the open not hearing/seeing the hunting on foot. I get the notion though of following tracks and someone coming by and ruining them for you (since they would have still seen them) then taking the glory up the road. Happens though.

That's hunting. Personally I try to be respectful and in your specific case I would have probably seen the tracks too and pulled up to see if you had seen the buck and such. If the area opened up to a lot more Deer then I may have made the call to continue on slowly making sure to not destroy the tracks but following tracks is never a for sure thing. Fresh tracks could be fresh 2 minutes ahead or fresh 15 minutes ahead and the Deer heard you already and took off into the bush so he's gone.

At the end of the day I follow the key rule of respecting myself and others out there equally. I'm not going to sacrifice myself entirely for someone else but at the same time I want to treat other hunters as I'd expect to be treated. I've had people come up behind me before too and I've waved them through. If they went ahead and nabbed a Deer, would I be annoyed? Probably. But not at them. It would be a "Damn this sucks." type annoyance then I'd keep hunting. If they blew past me without anything I'd think it an asshole thing to do but even then that's life in the bush on public land and if I came up on them with a big 4 point, I'd congratulate them and give them a big hand shake then keep hunting. Just the way I am I guess.

finngun
09-27-2013, 12:46 PM
run him over and use his body to bait a bear. hey bitsy..have yu read bc hunting regs?----There is NO baiting allowed of bears in BC :mrgreen:
of course yu dunna wan't to break hunting regs..do ya?

BRvalley
09-27-2013, 01:03 PM
as for blocking roads, some roads are just skinny and no wide areas to pull over, and some guys are too conservative with making their own trail

I was parked last year, my passenger side tires on the edge of the road, as far over without sliding down the lip, exploration road that is somewhat maintained....When I got back to the truck 2 guys in a jacked up ram were just coming down that road and then giving me shit for blocking the road.....just because my tracks were the tracks they were following and I guess too scared to make their own tracks in the snow???

um, drive your big shiny truck through that fresh white fluffy powder, it's the end of october, not february, you can drive through that snow....pansies, pull your big boy socks up

I've never encountered guys blocking the road deliberately, sometimes you can only get so far off the road....I have been stuck behind guys who won't let you pass, or even worse the guys that won't pass you when you let them and ride your ass for no reason on an fsr

Rackem
09-27-2013, 04:38 PM
I've never encountered guys blocking the road deliberately,

Thank the lord...