PDA

View Full Version : West stave lake hunting / shooting

davet
09-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Does anyone know if the west side of stave lake is open to hunting. I was there in spring for bear didn't see anything but a few black tails. I mainly want to go there to zero my gun in. I'm sick of going to the range and trying to shoot while guys with muzzle breaks are right beside me

mikeboehm
09-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Very busy with off roaders

sparkes3
09-20-2013, 09:54 PM
some recent no shooting areas up there,signs were up ,probally burnt by now.check new mission bylaws to be sure.

Steeleco
09-20-2013, 10:06 PM
You need to be way up by Florence lake to be in the shooting area. But then I'd not wander too far from the truck. Too many dingbats loose in those woods.

davet
09-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Ya it is nuts there. In spring I was given a map of the area that shows the hunting/shooting areas. I was hoping they are still current.

Steeleco
09-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Most likely but I'd still rather drive further and enjoy the day without the worry about walking out.

GotaGun
09-21-2013, 10:10 AM
check bylaws it's either no shooting or non solid projectile (shotgun only) i believe on west side of lake..

limit time
09-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Check the fraser valley special area map.

russm
09-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Just go to the range and you don't have to worry about being shot by some drunk idiot.

moosezilla
09-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Just go to the range and you don't have to worry about being shot by some drunk idiot.

i agree......I live near there and am sick of every yahoo and their SKS shooting up everything and leaving their junk behind...not pointing fingers at you tho most of them probably are not on this site!

Phil A. Bowl
09-22-2013, 08:31 AM
sorry for my muzel break. that thing is stinkin loud

snow
03-23-2014, 10:04 PM
- went to west Stave Lake today... driving on the FRS north past 10km was like going through a war zone! Every single pullout occupied by someone shooting, using unsafe backdrops such as rocky boulders... some people were also shooting from elevated areas down the hill right into Stave Lake where people might actually be fishing and camping.
- many roadsigns have so many holes in them that it's impossible to even read... and also meaning people are actually shooting on the FSR in the direction of the FSR, which is crazy considering how much traffic there is, like people on bikes and ATVs
i don't think i would go there again, and definitely would not recommend for hiking :mrgreen:

VancouverSkiBum
03-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Welcome to mini Iraq.

longwalk
03-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Had the kids out on the lake this afternoon, sure was a lot of shooting on the west side of the lake. East side was quiet.

hunterjeff719
03-23-2014, 11:07 PM
stave is absolutely haywire. range is your best and safest bet id say

sparkes3
03-24-2014, 05:25 AM
i was on the east side sounded like a war ,i left about 1:00 pm

davet
03-24-2014, 08:46 AM
- went to west Stave Lake today... driving on the FRS north past 10km was like going through a war zone! Every single pullout occupied by someone shooting, using unsafe backdrops such as rocky boulders... some people were also shooting from elevated areas down the hill right into Stave Lake where people might actually be fishing and camping.
- many roadsigns have so many holes in them that it's impossible to even read... and also meaning people are actually shooting on the FSR in the direction of the FSR, which is crazy considering how much traffic there is, like people on bikes and ATVs
i don't think i would go there again, and definitely would not recommend for hiking :mrgreen:

I was there a couple times last year and i will never go back again. one day a stray bullet is going to hit something and it wont be good.There is even a kids camp near by.

russm
03-24-2014, 09:12 AM
Too many trucks,bikes,quads,people up west stave to go shooting up there, east of town is much safer as far as that stuff goes but it's still a zoo out there too.

2x4x16
03-24-2014, 09:34 AM
I agree with most, it is not a good place to hunt, there are other far better places that aren't too far away. According to Mission by laws you can only legally shoot past 18 km. which is a lot further than the gravel pit where a lot of shooting takes place. We ride the Stave area quite a bit and have only ever seem one small bear. We where stopped by the CO's in a check. I asked about the shooting area - the CO was the one that told me 18km.

jeff341
03-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Took a drive up Chilliwack Lake Road the other day. Stopped and had a look around Riverside, pretty disappointed to see a ton of garbage, casings, and shells. BBq's, stereo equipment and even a couple of door....all shot to sh** and left there.

Seems to be a busy spot......

white moose
03-24-2014, 11:42 PM
Speaking of Stave, has anyone hunted at the end of lake, up the river a ways? Was up there with my boat a couple years ago. Was thinking spring black bear.

natebavis
03-25-2014, 12:01 AM
Go during the week in, well..maybe November when its pissing rain (less people, bullet dodging not required). We pulled 2 Blacktails out of there 2012-2013 season about a week apart. Hiking and driving. It can happen. I have never been on a weekend.

SHACK
03-25-2014, 01:14 PM
The shit part is the launch! I know LOTS of people return to stolen trucks and broken into vehicles! Myself included.