PDA

View Full Version : Grouse mushroom diet

new trigger
09-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Between my wife and I we got 6 grouse on the past weekend. 2 out of 3 shot in the same spot had a gullet full of mushy white bits in them. Stumped and curios, we returned to that spot the next morning to see what they are feeding on and found a number of large, light coloured shrooms with a bunch of peck marks and holes in top of the caps, obviously their feed source.
Only 3 years grouse hunting experience, but in all the sacks we pulled from grouse, never seen that before. Other than just the regular berries, needles, live grubs and clover, anyone else ever find this in your birds?
By the way, it was in MU8-6.

09-20-2013, 11:59 AM
i have never seen them eat mushrooms...
i have seen white flowes in them,, i can see the little flower in my minds eye but dont know what it is...
As well, berries, clover, various tree needles, willow leaves... all kinds of roadside flowers...

Walking Buffalo
10-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Grouse are also known as the Medicine Bird because of their complex diet. They know all of the good things to eat, and this is why they taste so good.

"Chicken" soup used to be a real medicine for the common cold.

Rackem
10-04-2013, 05:19 PM
seen them eat puffball mushrooms, and i shot one that had been eating styrofoam...

lately, seems to be greens like clover and dandelion, and rose hips...

Foxton Gundogs
10-04-2013, 07:40 PM
I've seen it a number of times pre stuffed for roasting lol

new trigger
10-09-2013, 11:01 AM
I just found it odd to see only mushrooms had been eaten and nothing else in the sack. But still learning, and love the ability for feedback here from other hunters.