PDA

View Full Version : How long or how often do u check you cam on a salt lick

Cami
09-19-2013, 12:03 PM
So i started stetting up some lick for the first time this year.
I m just wondering how often do you guys check em and if there is now action how long before you move em.
I think i did everything right LOL
I scouted for a while found some game trails and set up the cam on it a couple of weeks later i put some salt out as well.
Now i m wondering if i should go and have a look every week or leave it for a while so i don't scare em away.
I wish they would make some what let you know if you got something or not.

bchunter181
09-19-2013, 12:32 PM
I did the same thing and was checking it every week found that it was to often and saw less and less game I'm guessing cause my scent was in there to often changed to every two weeks and seems to be a good time frame spray yourself and shoes with scent away seems to help a lot. Have fun these things are addicting

nolan-sawka
09-19-2013, 12:47 PM
get a uway cam 15$ a month and it sends the pics to your cell phone as they're taken

BRvalley
09-19-2013, 12:53 PM
my first year trying out trail cams, definitely fun and gets you out there, I left them alone for 2 weeks before my first check, but now that I know what animals I have around I like to check weekly.....I set my cams up on trails in what I think is a transition area, in between where they bed down and where I know they are feeding, well travelled routes.....from my pics I know when the elk are travelling these trails (always a 3 hr time frame) and I don't check my cams during that period of activity

I was worried about leaving my scent around too much but I think if you have some industrial traffic in the area, they are maybe adjusted to some human scent, I'm about 1km off a well used fsr...checking weekly doens't seem to affect activity on my cams, and I've been hiking in with my dog too....but i get him to sit and stay on the main trail, while I'm in and out quick to swap cards, I don't use the same game trail, I pick my own trail to come up behind the cam and avoid walking around the lick or on the game trail

seems to be working well enough for a cam newbie anyways....I now know that the elk exclusive travel one direction only on these trails, always late morning, cows, calves and bulls, which I never would have guessed....moose pics have been mostly nocturnal

the downside of cams, maybe getting too picky? LOL I passed on a 4x4 bull in 3pt zone, because I know from my pics there are bigger (body wise, not just rack)...I might end up regretting that, especialy for my first elk, but I know there is another bull I'd prefer

Sitkaspruce
09-19-2013, 02:00 PM
I check mine every 2 weeks, take my dog everytime and don't worry about scent. Have had as many as 1700 picts of deer/elk/moose and bears in a 2 week soak. When it gets closer to Nov for deer, will check it at least once a week to see if a pattern developes for a particular deer. See Coaches latest post as he has a bunch of bucks all coming in between 8-9 in the morning.

Salt at this time of year is not their first choice, salt is much better in the spring and summer, also conditions them to an area and they will be back next year, so you can start to see bucks/bulls grow up. A friend has had a salt lick out for about 8 years now and the ground now has a hole 2' deep by 12' round.

If you have bears around, then wait until after thanksgiving and start with grain like barley or oats. Stay away from all the commercial attractants as you will find most are just salt in some form or another. $15 for a 5 lbs bag vs $5 for a 50 lbs of water softner salt and $8 for a 50 lbs of oats.

Like BRvalley, I have let two bulls go as I have 3 different big bulls all on cam and will hunt those bulls.

Cheers

SS

Cami
09-19-2013, 09:35 PM
thanks guys for the good info
I just feel like a little kid at xmas everytime i go there. LOL
Its a bit of a drive for me to get there so i will have to leave it for 2-3 weeks now. I hope no other hunter will f**** with it.
I moved allredy one because i know the area is hunted hard maybe not where the cam is but i thought its better to find a safer spot.
hopefully i will have some other pix then the one of my dog on there next time i go and check it.
Will post my first pix for sure ...