PDA

View Full Version : Note to self and a nice end to a hunt

Hillbros_96
09-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Note to self, in retrospect the idea of going after a grizzly bear by myself may not have been the smartest thing I have done in my life. This was running through my mind while I was staring at this beast and wondering what I got myself into.
I had hunted the area hard for the last 7 days with not seeing much for accessible/attainable animals that was in my species list for this trip. I even went as far as running to the nearest town to buy a caribou tag to try a different area for caribou. Up until the seventh day, I saw 60 black bears (none of notable size), 15 mountain goats (none were accessible due to large bodies of water.), 25 grouse a day (which I was planning on helping reduce the numbers before I left for home). No real fresh sign of moose other than the occasional track that I attributed to a cow/calf combo.
I saw plenty of Grizzly tracks that ranged from 6” – 9” across. One track in particular caught my eye as my entire hiking boot fit into it. I was really hoping to see this bear in person as I was up here to find a grizzly bear to hang on the wall. I also saw many wolf tracks the size of dessert plates and was hoping I would come across this animal as well.
The weather was not cooperating at all, most days the temperature was 22—25 degrees and one day even topped 27. I was planning on some snow or rain at least considering the time of year and the location of the hunt.
I did run into a great bunch of guys from the East Kootenay’s that I ended up stopping and having a good chat with every day during our travels. They were gracious enough to offer there help if I needed it while they were there. Turns out that it was a much needed offer, the only problem was they left that morning and I was sure wishing they were still around while I was pondering my predicament.
On the Wednesday of my trip, I was getting frustrated with the lack of attainable game that was on my bucket list for this trip. I decided as I was riding my quad down this particular logging road that I was going to get to the bridge, turn around and head out to shoot a black bear so I would have something to show for my efforts for this week and get some more practice in skinning bears. I was putting along the last bend, and there standing on the edge of the road munching on the planted clover was a very large grizzly bear 50 yards away. I do not think either of us was expecting each other to be there. By the time my brain made the connection and I was getting off the quad to grab my rifle he made a beeline to the bush.
Needless to say, my heart was pounding and all thoughts of shooting a black bear were out of my mind. I was vibrating with excitement to see a large bear with no ears, low hanging belly and a curved back. I went back to the same spot on Thursday and Friday with no new sign at the spot. I decided I would put my trail camera up in the spot on Saturday and not come back until the next week. On my way out on Friday night back to camp, there were his tracks in my quad tracks walking down the road. So just my luck, when I go to one place he goes to another.
Saturday afternoon, I decided I am going to sit on the road where the bear walked Friday night. I already put up my trail camera up that afternoon, and there was fresh bear sign since I was there the evening before. I figured it was only a matter of time before I stumbled across this bear again with this fresh sign and I still had another week of hunting if need be.
I am sitting on this road on Saturday evening getting eaten alive by the bugs and looking over my shoulder at the slightest sound as I do not want this bear sneaking behind me and taking a swipe at me. At 8:00 o’clock just before sunset (may give you a hint on how far north I was), I can start to hear something walking down the road. 80 yards from me there is a 12 foot poplar tree growing on the side of the road so I need to walk 5 yards down the road to see around the tree. As I get around the corner, I see this big white thing moving at the top of the tree. Now I am confused, what can be white, big like that at the top of a tree? I take one more step to see around the tree and see a big moose. Wholly smokes, I am not expecting to see this. He is walking down the road towards me so I hightail back to the quad so I can grab my tripod.
As the seconds tick by, I can see him getting closer and turning looking to his side. I start to wonder if he is going to go into the bush before he clears this poplar tree. If he does that, what am I going to do? Luckily I do not have time to think more on this as he continues forward, and clears the tree. Now I am facing the largest moose I have ever seen and he is facing me with less than perfect shot placement. Do I shoot him between the eyes? No cannot do that because I might lose the antlers to mount. On a side note, my wife has been asking for a moose to hang on the wall since I have shot my Mule deer that is currently on my wall. So I wait until he lifts his head and looks to his right. I then put the first bullet into his left side between his neck and leg.
I hear the bullet hit and he stumbles hard and now turns broadside. I then put another into his lungs. Now I am thinking I need to make sure he dies on or very near to the road as the grizzly bear I have been chasing has now clearly entered my mind. I miss with the third shot and he runs down the road 20 roads and stands broadside on wobbly legs. I run down the road 25 yards to watch where he goes and I put the forth into him. He then stumbles just off the road and falls head down into the bush. I am excited now with the biggest moose I have ever seen down. I run over to the quad and grab my Spot and broadcast that I shot something. I slowly, (okay maybe not that slow) run over to where he is dead and take a couple of pictures.
Now the gravity of the situation is starting to sink in, it is starting to get dark, my new friends are not around to help, the bear I am chasing could possibly be around and I am thinking of the grizzly dinner bell theories. I struggle for the next 6 hrs to get him half skinned, and gutted. With him lying head down he was extremely hard to get the guts out of. At 2:30 I had to call it a night and get some sleep. I had not eaten since noon and was really starting to feel it. I threw a bed sheet over him to try to leave some scent around hoping to discourage any animal activity. I got to camp, washed up best I could and hit the sack for 3 hrs sleep. I was able to get my truck and trailer half way to him, reducing my travel time by more than half and getting a round trip down to 40 minutes. By 2:30 in the afternoon, I had him at the trailer, all my stuff collected.
With the temperate being as high as it was, I thought it would be prudent to get the meat out to prevent spoilage. So I went and got fuel, and packed up camp on Sunday night. I was back on the road heading south by 7:15 on Monday morning and finally pulled into my house at 5:45 on Thursday night to an excited family.
I was also missing my previous hunting life were we were able to get the tractor to anything we shot to hang the animal to skin and gut. This experience has really shown me how old I am getting (I still hurt on Tuesday from the ordeal.
I spent a half day trying to figure out which taxidermist I was going to try to get him to. I got a couple of recommendations, browsed the forum to see who well recommended and made my decision. Hopefully I will get him to the taxidermist today as the one I chose had some issues on Tuesday after I talked to him that has made him unavailable until this afternoon. In searching for a place to put this beast on the wall last night, my house in BC was not built for it. I have not told the wife yet, but I think the only place it will fit really is above out bed.
Hope you enjoy the story and the couple of pictures I did get. I wish I was able to get more pictures, but being by myself and with the worry about the bear, it was just not to be. But I will have the memories for the rest of my life. I am going back for sure next year to go after that bear again.

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac34/Hillbros_96/Moose/IMGP0153_zpsf3d9ae8b.jpg (http://s883.photobucket.com/user/Hillbros_96/media/Moose/IMGP0153_zpsf3d9ae8b.jpg.html)

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac34/Hillbros_96/Moose/20130917_1802341_zps2293bf16.jpg (http://s883.photobucket.com/user/Hillbros_96/media/Moose/20130917_1802341_zps2293bf16.jpg.html)

Slinky Pickle
09-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Great story of a great adventure. That's exactly what it's all about!

Greg
09-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Wow, nice moose. I think you need to start training up a hunting partner.

BiG Boar
09-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Awesome! Congrats big time! How wide is he?

dakoda62
09-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Great moose and story, well done.

Drillbit
09-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Great Job!

Won't be long and that little guy will be right beside you

Hank Hunter
09-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Awesome story, congrats on the nice bull. Sure is spooky dealing with them alone after dark when you know there is a grizzly in the neighbourhood

decker9
09-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Hey good job!! That's a great bull! I hate the grizzly heebeejeebee's!

09-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Great moose! In the future, if you find yourself alone with a big critter like a moose or elk, you may want to try the "gutless" method of field dressing it. Much, much easier when solo.

outdoorsk
09-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Congrats on the nice looking bull. Enjoyed the story too.

Gateholio
09-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Nice big ol moose. Yeah, next time go gutless. You would have been done in 2 hours tops :)

Brez
09-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Congrats. Good story. X3 on gutless.

Hillbros_96
09-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Wow, nice moose. I think you need to start training up a hunting partner.

Greg,

Thanks, I had to postpone the trip a week so I could take my oldest daughter for the youth deer season as she was ten this year. She was mad I shot the moose up there and not with her on our trip. All three of the kids have been hunting with me and I have shot something with all of them.

I am definitly going to try to take someone up with me next year. I tend to be picky on who I travel in the bush with a gun, so I struggle to find hunting partners.

Sitkaspruce
09-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks for bringing us along on youe hunt!!

Nice region 6 bull!!!!

As others have pointed out, the gutless method would have made the ordeal a whole lot easier.

Congrats on yor moose.

Cheers

SS

Hillbros_96
09-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Awesome! Congrats big time! How wide is he?

Big Boar, he ended up being 57" wide and the paddles are about 30" X 14".

Nice big ol moose. Yeah, next time go gutless. You would have been done in 2 hours tops :)

Great moose! In the future, if you find yourself alone with a big critter like a moose or elk, you may want to try the "gutless" method of field dressing it. Much, much easier when solo.

I was back and forth on the gutless method to do him. I did not make the decision until I had him half skinned. My main concerns was accessing the tenderloin and flipping him. The next deer I shoot I am going gutless so I have a hang of getting the tenderloin out easily. The flipping him became the issue that made the decision to gut him neccesary. I tried flipping him but was unable to due to nothing to really anchor to. I tried with the quad power, but ran out of traction and then he just turned. I was only able to flip him once I had the guts out and the one half of the meat removed similar to the gutless method. My attempt to flip him allowed me to use the hill to flip him once half of his mass was gone. Of course, he landed on another will tree which made the process that much more difficult again.

I see the value in the gutless method, but alone with such a big animal, I definitly struggled with it. I brought plenty of rope to tie limbs to trees, but again no large trees and only small willows made the job more difficult.

Dusty Roads
09-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Awesome bull and great story!
Congrats and thanks for sharing.

rred
09-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Nice Bull!!!

Phil
09-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Beauty bull! Well done on your solo hunt!

09-19-2013, 02:44 PM
That was a great story!

E.V.B.H.
09-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Hard to turn that down, even with a grizz nearby! We're the guys you met from Fernie by any chance?

Moosegetter
09-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Nice story and pics good bull. Thanks

evilginger
09-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Awesome bull and story. Thanks for sharing

Hillbros_96
09-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Hard to turn that down, even with a grizz nearby! We're the guys you met from Fernie by any chance?

Yes, 2 of the three were from fernie.

heyblast
09-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Congratulations on the bull and thanks for the story, really enjoyed reading it.

The Hermit
09-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Cool stuff to be sure! Congrats on the moose and holy smokes that would be lots of work on your own!

ActionJackson017
09-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Yes, thanks for sharing and congratulations! Our group moose hunt is only a few short weeks away. Can't wait!

buckguy
09-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Awesome adventure! I do not think I would go it alone but living vicariously through you was great...lol. Nice looking bull, well worth the work. Congrats

E.V.B.H.
09-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Yes, 2 of the three were from fernie.

Pretty sure I know who they are, I hunt with them quite a bit! I will make sure they read your story!

warnniklz
09-19-2013, 09:12 PM
he's a dandy for sure

Captainkf
09-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks for sharing the story. Well told, nice moose. Hanging in the bedroom... Hope you don't have any earthquakes!

Darksith
09-19-2013, 10:34 PM
thanks for sharing. Your quad couldn't pull him whole? Either way don't matter. Thanks for sharing, great write up.

Hillbros_96
09-20-2013, 05:33 PM
thanks for sharing. Your quad couldn't pull him whole? Either way don't matter. Thanks for sharing, great write up.

The quad may have dragged him a little, but that would have left him on the road and then I would have had to drag that off the road. I was also worried about damaging the antlers.

Hammerhead
09-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Sounds like you did we'll for going at it alone. Congrats on a hard earned moose. Thanks for sharing
HH

Blainer
09-20-2013, 06:18 PM
Great share
Lot's of advice being offered in hindsight, but I'm certain you learned a few lessons on your own.
Gutless is definitely a consideration in the future.
A bull to be proud of!

nature girl
09-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the great story and writeup.
Ah I am sure your wife wont mind a large moose head in your bedroom. Just buy her some nice gold earrings in exchange. Problem solved.

Sofa King
09-20-2013, 08:56 PM
if it gets mounted above the bed, best to make sure it's very strongly secured and up as high as possible.
heck, if it's mounted strongly enough, it could become a new apparatus.

Hillbros_96
09-20-2013, 09:57 PM
if it gets mounted above the bed, best to make sure it's very strongly secured and up as high as possible.
heck, if it's mounted strongly enough, it could become a new apparatus.
Definitely not going above the bed after that comment. LOL

Hillbros_96
09-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the great story and writeup.
Ah I am sure your wife wont mind a large moose head in your bedroom. Just buy her some nice gold earrings in exchange. Problem solved.

Nature girl, since she is the one that wanted a moose on the wall does that not get me out of the gold purchase?

riflebuilder
09-21-2013, 04:07 AM
I have been dumb enough to shoot a moose by myself....never again. Well maybe never again something's you never learn...Congrats on a great bull.

Bushy
09-21-2013, 06:09 AM
Thanks for taking the time for your report.

Really enjoyed it!

Hillbros_96
09-21-2013, 07:22 AM
I have been dumb enough to shoot a moose by myself....never again. Well maybe never again something's you never learn...Congrats on a great bull.
Rifle builder, I think I would do it again as long as it was close to quad access. I can only say I am glad I only had to carry it 5 yards to the quad then off the quad. If I would have had to pack it any distance, I probably would not do it again. But like you said, maybe it is something you do not learn.

nature girl
09-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Nature girl, since she is the one that wanted a moose on the wall does that not get me out of the gold purchase?

You shouldnt have to buy her anything.
If you enjoy hunting she should appreciate that you would want some taxidermy in your house. A hunt that you can think back on every single time you look at that great moose on the wall.

landphil
09-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Great story, and a "beauty" :lol: moose. I bet you'd have still taken that grizz if he'd showed his face on your last trip out.:wink:

Hillbros_96
09-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Great story, and a "beauty" :lol: moose. I bet you'd have still taken that grizz if he'd showed his face on your last trip out.:wink:
For sure, if he would have showed his face I would have been dealing with it as well. Oh well, maybe next year.