PDA

View Full Version : New Member....

JeepHunter
09-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Hey Guys!! Long time reader, first time member..... Figured i better finally join since i feel like I know everyone already, LOL. Little about me.... I started to get back into hunting about 2 years ago. I hadn't been hunting since i was a teenager when my Dad and I would go out. I really wanted to get back out there again, so I bought my brother-in-law his core book and told him to study up. Now we go out as often as possible. Had a great trip over to GF last fall and came back with a nice little 3x3 WT fatty, had the best time out there. Nothing like it on earth! Just getting out onto the hillside, finding a nice perch and watching the valley come to life.... Did a tour up Whipsaw last weekend lookin for 4 point mulie but only saw does. Came home empty handed but found some decent areas with lots of activity. Getting prepped right now for our trip to the EK next weekend and doing as much reading as I can.... I think between my Brother and myself we have a tag for anything that moves, LOL. Hoping to come home with some meat and some good stories! We're mainly looking for Elk but none of us have gone before, so i've been reading all the posts I can, reading all the Elk reports on harvest, winter ranges, tips and tricks of the Elk hunt.... Anything I can get my hands on. Jelvis has cracked me up more than a few times! But tahnks to him I feel like I know every single road in Region 4, hahaha. I think we'll be spending most of our time in the Bull River area.... Seems like as good a spot as any since we don't really know the area that well. I do have a few specific questions i would like to discuss with some seasoned EK Elk hunters. I'd ask on the forum but I know that the thread would erupt faster than an Elk in the rut! So looking for a PM with someone to answer a couple of questions I have.... Thanks guys! hope to talk with you soon! I'm loving the pics and stories out there so keep them coming!!

Sofa King
09-19-2013, 11:13 AM
good luck on the elk trip.
it would be awesome to see a new hunter wander into an new, unknown area, especially for elk, and come home with a book bull.
take pics.

JeepHunter
09-19-2013, 11:23 AM
good luck on the elk trip.
it would be awesome to see a new hunter wander into an new, unknown area, especially for elk, and come home with a book bull.
take pics.

It's ok to have that fantacy, right?....... Yeah we're hoping for a good time.... I'm pretty sure we'll be dropping the first legal bull we see, but we have to actually find one first! If not, no biggie it's still going to be a hell of a trip!! We'll be glassing for a WT as well, if we come home with nothing the wives wouldn't understand why we went all that way and then come home empty handed. We just have to remember to ditch all the empties before we pull in the drive way!

ncurrie
09-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Welcome! Good luck on your elk hunt!!

ruger#1
09-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Welcome! Good luck on your elk hunt!!
What the nice lady said.

JeepHunter
09-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Welcome aboard jeephunter. if you've been reading for a long time on here, then I dont need to tell you to just ignore the HBC saints that (in their mind) do no wrong.
You shouldn't have any trouble connecting on a whitetail buck in the EK. good luck.

Thanks BearStump can't wait to get out there!

.300WSMImpact!
09-19-2013, 04:03 PM
and people wonder why nobody posts pictures on here, some of the comments on here are a prime example

JeepHunter
09-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Ok, so i've got a couple of questions about the Bull River area..... before i do and this whole thing blows up and gets nasty i'm not asking for your favorite spots but i have questions about certain areas that I've found using google earth, BR mapbook, Elk population reports etc that i want to check out .... and well even some info that the Jelly-man has put forth from 1984 or whenever its from, lol.....I'm just not sure if what i have in mind will be worth my while or a complete waste of time. It seems like the more I read about the area the more I realize I know nothing about it. So before I start with my questions on an open forum, I just wanted to ask you guys before i post anything...... Should I? or should this be done in a more private manor?

Hillbros_96
09-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Welcome and good luck.

JeepHunter
09-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Alright then, first question: I've been looking for a good spot to set up camp.... Should we go up to 40 mile or sulphur creek rec site? Would there be any spots available? Its A little out of the way to find out theres no open sites..... Or is it just too far up the Bull? Should we just try and find a spot off of any ol FSR? Or Would we be better off setting up in the valley floor somewhere either north or south of the bull like alkaline lake or bronze lake? I've read the posts of guys saying there's camps set up every 50 yards is it really that crowded up there? We want to be close to the action and in a spot where we can drive to ridge to start hiking within a decent amount of time. Any suggestions?....

Jelvis
09-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Elk in the E K ah i got a call yesterday and apparently not as many hunters being seen around Cranny like yesteryears.
The Quinn Creek is a nice place to hunt for elk, it's a road closure but you can park yor vehicle and walk in or ride a mountain bike or horse.
Look up in the draws of rock slides, the rut is on now, so bugle or use a Hootchie Mumma.
Stay slow and stop a lot.
One udder place wood b, Gold Creek east of Moyie lake mu 4-03
Lots of spikers whistling and bulls calling early. Use Hootchie and look for movement and listen for distant bugle back answers.
Use the sound for location take directional compass and walk slowly 2 wards calling bull elk.
A bull elk will come right at you when coming in to your bull challenge, so be ready and steady freddy.
You got a couple weeks left for calling success.
Jel .. this is my understanding of bull elk up the Quinn Creek n Gold, God's country

JeepHunter
09-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Elk in the E K ah i got a call yesterday and apparently not as many hunters being seen around Cranny like yesteryears.
The Quinn Creek is a nice place to hunt for elk, it's a road closure but you can park yor vehicle and walk in or ride a mountain bike or horse.
Look up in the draws of rock slides, the rut is on now, so bugle or use a Hootchie Mumma.
Stay slow and stop a lot.
One udder place wood b, Gold Creek east of Moyie lake mu 4-03
Lots of spikers whistling and bulls calling early. Use Hootchie and look for movement and listen for distant bugle back answers.
Use the sound for location take directional compass and walk slowly 2 wards calling bull elk.
A bull elk will come right at you when coming in to your bull challenge, so be ready and steady freddy.
You got a couple weeks left for calling success.
Jel .. this is my understanding of bull elk up the Quinn Creek n Gold, God's country

thanks Jel, I picked up a hoochie mamma the other day and been practicing and watching some vids. My brother has the bugle. So heading all the way up to Quinn wouldn't be a bad idea??

JeepHunter
09-19-2013, 07:52 PM
What about hunting off the back of the farmers fields in the Valley?? Are they down there this time of year? Or is this better for finding my WT? Some guys were saying its still pretty warm up there and the Elk are in the hills and drainage keeping cool... From a lot of the successful posts I've been seeing these guys are in some gnarly spots

Jelvis
09-19-2013, 07:53 PM
You'll be wacked with the breath taking habitat you will always remember the, --------------------------- "The Mighty Quinn!"

Jelvis
09-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Snow in the mountains around Cranbrook about 4000 foot level and up. Today

ruger#1
09-21-2013, 11:24 AM
What about hunting off the back of the farmers fields in the Valley?? Are they down there this time of year? Or is this better for finding my WT? Some guys were saying its still pretty warm up there and the Elk are in the hills and drainage keeping cool... From a lot of the successful posts I've been seeing these guys are in some gnarly spots
Mid Oct the black tails will be showing up in lower elevations in the valley. So you would be better off to do your elk hunt.They like to hang aroud the black berry and wet swampy areas. I love hearing them run through the water.

NaStY
09-21-2013, 01:59 PM
And now back to our previously scheduled thread.

Welcome to the site.............

sapper
09-21-2013, 05:40 PM
JeepHunter, I know nothing about the area you are hoping to find an elk in. I wish you safe and happy hunting though.