PDA

View Full Version : SOG Knives Taking A Second Stab At The Hunting Market

parttimeexplorer
09-18-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm a new hunter and have been in the market for a hunting knife for an upcoming mule deer hunt. I was pointed towards the Havalon knives and, while I have no doubt that they are the sharpest thing around (basically being a way to carry a scalpel around), I'm not that excited about disposable blades.

Being a knife guy, I wanted something in really good steel which will keep a fine edge despite lots of use. Also it needed to be $100 or less since I'm not made of money.

Though SOG's first stab at the hunting market received mixed reviews, I think they've got it right this time. I just picked up a Huntpoint Skinner in S30v steel today. The looks are really up my alley and I think the classic design mixed with the 21st century metallurgy will serve me well. Time will tell I guess.

It got good reviews on Field and Stream... (http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/gear/2013/02/best-new-knives-2013)

Anyone have exp with this knife?

The Dawg
09-18-2013, 04:28 PM
I have a few SOGs, and they are ALWAYS the first out of my pack when gutting an animal.

Razor sharp, hold an edge well and easy to put the edge back on.

Now that they have a skinner, Ill have to pick one up :)

adriaticum
09-18-2013, 04:47 PM
This is funny, I was just looking at this page last night after watching this guy Trollsky make hand made knives that just blew me away.

If you are a knife fan, check this out, I'm sure there is something there you can drool over.

http://trollsky.jalbum.net/Trollsky%20Custom%20knives/

KnifeGuy
09-18-2013, 09:37 PM
I like SOG but have heard of some handle separation issues with their hunting blades so just keep an eye out. With respect to S30V, it holds a working edge for a long long time, but doesn't hold a hair popping razor edge for too long. Does it say CPMS30V or just S30V? I find S30V works well with a 15 degree per side primary bevel, finished with a 20 degree per side microbevel. Reduces the thickness behind the cutting edge while making maintenance easier. Let us know what you think about it, SOG makes good stuff but they rarely use high end steels other than VG10.

REMINGTON JIM
09-18-2013, 10:05 PM
Sog makes a GOOD knife - i have a Navy Seal Pup and i like it a lot ! :-D RJ

parttimeexplorer
09-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Those customs are nice but probably a little outside of my current budget. I will definitely keep on top of the handle scales and apply loctite if needed. Looks pretty secure for now tho and a flat blade driver is always handy if there are any issues. The blade says S30V and was a big selling point for me since I was looking for good steel with a classic look. Feels great in the hand and I'm pretty happy so far. Time will tell!