PDA

View Full Version : Best binos for hunting under 300$

Grousedaddy
09-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Whats the best pair of binos to buy under 300$ for glassing. Its all i can afford for now and its a start what are your guys opinions ....

toad
09-18-2013, 10:20 AM
vortex diamondback 10x42

4Shot
09-18-2013, 10:23 AM
I have the Vortex Diamondbacks and they are a great value for the money. They come in 8x42 or 10x42 and range in price from about $220.00 to $250.00. I am amazed at the image quality and low-light performance considering the price. I'm sure there are better optics out there at higher price points but these are the best ones I have ever owned.

Abashai
09-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Diamondbacks are good but it also might be worth it to have a look at the Nikon Monarch 3 and the Redfield binoculars.
If you're in a shop at dusk ask if you can compare the binocs outside. Sometimes if they're not too busy they'll come out with you and let you look through them.

Grousedaddy
09-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Thx for the fast replies also what zoom would be best for glassing 10x42??

Moe.JKU
09-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Hey, i was in the same predicament as you were, went to multiple stores looked through all the ones redfield, bushnell, vortex etc. The diamondbacks are nice, however the ones that i found to be the best were the bushnell legend ultra hd. Its the only ones in that price range that offers hd glass which is a bonus. I have been using them a lot and they have been outstanding for the price. I ending up taxes in $302. Comes with a back strap and a neck strap as well. I will be keeping them until i have an extra 2grand laying around for swaros.
I have compared them in the bush with the diamondbacks as well as my friend has them. I find they are a little more clear, and they adjust to my eyes better with the focus.
Everyones eyes are different however so maybe try a few out in the store.
Oh and i got the 10x42 it was a toss up between the two, and i got a deal on the 10's so thats why i went with them

Charts
09-18-2013, 11:31 AM
diamondback 10x42... just got mine that I bought of a fellow HBC'er and they are the best bino's I have ever owned. Can see critters in that first morning light that almost impossible with any other glass

Wade
09-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Binos are something you have to go and try for yourself. Binos that work great for your buddy, might not work for you. For example: vortex seem to work great for a lot of guys, but when I've tried them I can't get them to focus clearly, but that doesn't mean they're garbage. They just don't work for me. Leupold binos work great for me,but they might not work for you

hare_assassin
09-18-2013, 11:48 AM
I'd like to try to find something with higher power. With my current 10x, I can't reliably count tines much beyond 175 yards, especially in lower light.

hare_assassin
09-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Binos are something you have to go and try for yourself. Binos that work great for your buddy, might not work for you. For example: vortex seem to work great for a lot of guys, but when I've tried them I can't get them to focus clearly, but that doesn't mean they're garbage. They just don't work for me. Leupold binos work great for me,but they might not work for you

I know this is a stupid question, but did you adjust the diopter for your eyes before drawing your conclusion? I only ask because I am surprised how many hunters I know who had no idea what the diopter is for.

rbest
09-18-2013, 02:32 PM
I just picked up the Vortex Diamondback 10x50. Amazing for the price!

BRvalley
09-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Hey, i was in the same predicament as you were, went to multiple stores looked through all the ones redfield, bushnell, vortex etc. The diamondbacks are nice, however the ones that i found to be the best were the bushnell legend ultra hd. Its the only ones in that price range that offers hd glass which is a bonus. I have been using them a lot and they have been outstanding for the price. I ending up taxes in $302. Comes with a back strap and a neck strap as well. I will be keeping them until i have an extra 2grand laying around for swaros.
I have compared them in the bush with the diamondbacks as well as my friend has them. I find they are a little more clear, and they adjust to my eyes better with the focus.
Everyones eyes are different however so maybe try a few out in the store.
Oh and i got the 10x42 it was a toss up between the two, and i got a deal on the 10's so thats why i went with them

what he said...I think the bushnells with HD are better than diamonbacks for the same money...I have the 10x42 diamondbacks, sent them away for warranty (FYI that over the counter is a myth), almost bought the bushnell legend HD's which were better than the diamondbacks but bought the elite's on sale instead

definitely don't get stuck with just one model in your head, try everything you can afford, take them outside, most stores will step outside with you for a few mins

adrianvip
09-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Well I use to have some fancy expensive one and once I forgot them on the ATV for the winter the year after I could not see a thing with them anymore. Now I'm on my way at Costco and I will pick those Bushnell 10X50 for $29 I believe. Even if they last for a year is worth it than spending $300 and take the chance to lose them or damage them. The Bushnell at Costco was pretty good for the price. But that's just me

BCBRAD
09-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Think good quality used, i got a set of brunton eternas for $250, camera land had them for $599 so figure another 150-200 dolla's for canadians. Good binos they are!

Grousedaddy
09-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Its hard to find good used binos in kamloops lol

ACE
09-18-2013, 05:06 PM
I'd like to try to find something with higher power. With my current 10x, I can't reliably count tines much beyond 175 yards, especially in lower light.

I've used 10x Bausch & Lomb Discoverer binoculars for 17 years. 10x can be too much magnification with summer heat waves, and are about as high a magnification that I can hold steady. There's better binoculars around, and I'll bet that you're decades younger than me, and can hold a higher magnification without the shakes.

The Dawg
09-18-2013, 05:14 PM
http://www.opticsplanet.com/binoculars.html#!gridSize=40&page=17&price%5B%5D=0&price%5B%5D=0&rating=0&sort=lowest-price

todbartell
09-18-2013, 05:52 PM
vortex diamondback 10x42

x 2. Best I've looked through in that price range

cataling
09-18-2013, 08:27 PM
For me, and for a lots of people this works rely good:
Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32
http://info.sightron.com/Binoculars/SII-Blue-Sky-Series-/SIIBL832/

You can find them around 180$, big field of view, lightweight, excellent optics for the price.
Guys that are very picky with their optics said that this can stand in same row with 500$ bino's.
You can find a lots of reviews on hunting and bird watching forums.

TrickleCharger
09-19-2013, 05:41 AM
I like my Nikon Monarch 3, they work great in low light conditions and in bad weather. I think they were $300 a couple of years ago so might have come down in price now.

luckofthedraw
09-19-2013, 06:22 AM
I like my Nikon Monarch 3, they work great in low light conditions and in bad weather. I think they were $300 a couple of years ago so might have come down in price now.

These are what I went with as well a couple years ago. Comfortable, dust/weatherproof. Great bang for your buck. Buy in Canada they come with a 25 year warranty.

Hodaka
09-19-2013, 08:48 AM
I concur with the "try them out" comments. You have several recommendations here on what to try.
Personally, I had been using Bushnell Excursion for awhile and really liked them - until the light got dim. I then compared Bushnell Legend, Elite, and a few of the Vortex. I really didn't think any were a leap above except the Elite. Then I tried some Leupolds, and found the Mohave was best suited to my needs, including price.

Dre
09-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Try the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD. I've had mine for 3 years and am very happy with them. They are much better than my buddy's Leupolds and when I was about to upgrade to Vortex Viper HD this year I tried them both side by side and decided to keep my Legends. You will be surprised at the quality for under $300. That said, I think Vortex is one of the best Bang for your Buck brands on the market and the best warranty. I'm also very happy with my Vortex Viper scope. Don't be afraid to make the optics salespeople work for their money by trying them all out. :)

fyffer
09-20-2013, 06:24 AM
Love my red fields. Can't be beat for the price.

deadlyshot19
09-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Vortex Diamondback 8x42. Unreal for the price and a great warranty.

mod7rem
09-20-2013, 10:01 AM
When I was researching this same thing, I was told by John Barsness that you have to spend a lot of money to improve on the zen ray ed3(open box demo $329), kruger caldero, or hawke frontier, He listed these three as the best up to $600. $329 is close to your budget, you may be able to find a deal on the others. Gives you some other options.

jaymac10
09-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Vanguards are great value!

09-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Another vote for the Nikon Monarch. I have the 10x56 which really is excellent, but will be above your budget.

But the 10x42 is on sale at London Drugs right now - from $399 to $299:
http://www.londondrugs.com/Nikon-10-x-42-Monarch-5-Binoculars---7543/L5680707,default,pd.html?start=1&q=nikon%20monarch

Quince
09-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Nikon prostaff 7. 10x42 for $149 right now or 169 camo from cabelas(usa). Shipped to my door was going to be 175