PDA

View Full Version : hunting with the girls

bighorn
09-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Last year me and my youngest daughter,drew a moose tag for 5-15 d in the rut,had this tag before.pretty well guaranteed a bull.
second evening on the top of the mountain above wells we see a nice immature bull about an hour before dark.look over at my little girl and say theres your bull,she looks at me with THE LOOK and says,im not shooting that little thing.i said what are you crazy you never turn down a moose that is that good eating.she said no way dad.so we went back to camp.
Next morning we were there at daylight.we drove into the same slash and in the exact same place stood a real big bull and 3 cows.i rammed her clip in said hes 150 yds shoot him behind the shoulder.she gets out lays the gun over the hood and shoots.that moose hunched right up hit hard.i said dont shoot him again,because those are the shots that will wreck meat,when your excited it seems to work that way.watched it for what seemed like a long time when it started to slowly walk towards the timber.i panic and start yelling for her to shoot him again,no shot im gettin real excited now and really start screamin at her,nothin.i look over at her and she is litterly vibrating in her boots and and almost crying.major buckfever,she says i cant dad im shaking to much.i shoot him and he drops.that was the coolest moose kill ive ever been on.
We walk up to him and hes huge biggest ive seen.4 on one brow 5 on the other not real wide but heavy i think he was past his prime.she is some pumped.somehow we got that moose in the truck after we cut it in half.it was 11:00 that night when we finished with it,she did good as it was tough with just the 2 of us.
it weighed 695 lbs on the hook at steves in courtenay,over 700 if we didnt do some trimming.biggest there by 7th of oct,thats a big bull for that area.she was some proud.she packs them moose horns all over naniamo and all the boys think shes the coolist girl in town.
This year my second oldest drew a moose tag for 5-15a in the rut.she never hunted couldnt even kill a bug or so i figured.when she saw how much attention her sister got with her bull she wants one bad.so were off to crooked lake lodge at the end of the sept. to hopefully get her a big bull.the youngest is comin too,she wants a big mulie, i know she will hold out for a big one.
When we get back on or around the 7th my oldest daughter is flyin in from alberta to hunt her leh. she got a roosevelt tag about 15 min. from the house ,how sweet is that.only 2 tags and i know the other guy and he wont be back till the 14th,so we have the whole area to ourselves
If anyone has some pointers for huntin moose and mulies in 5-15a they'd be much appreciated,you can pm me.
will let you know how this trip goes.i know its goona be great with my 2 favorite girls.

Darksith
09-17-2013, 09:41 PM
congrats on the successful hunt last year and good luck this year. Any pics?

Dusty Roads
09-17-2013, 09:44 PM
That's awesome! That's what it's all about right there!
thanks for sharing the story and best of luck to ya!

bighorn
09-17-2013, 10:16 PM
heres her bull

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae80/daveiskra/marsmoose_zps4a88a773.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/daveiskra/media/marsmoose_zps4a88a773.jpg.html)

adriaticum
09-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Ha,ha congrats.
The question is how did you get that 700 pound slab in the truck with only the two of you?!

blackbart
09-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Nice job. That is a big bodied, and racked bull for southern BC. (unless your daughter is a midget)

IslandmanDan
09-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Sweeeeeet man. So proud, I can feel you are. Ya, such a good feeling. Thanks for sharing. Good for you guy n gals! Just awesome....

bighorn
09-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Ha,ha congrats.
The question is how did you get that 700 pound slab in the truck with only the two of you?!
the butcher said he was around 1100 1200lbs live weight,tried whole no way,cut him in half no way ,cut off his head and got him in.no bank to roll him off it was a grunt and took about 3 hours.

xtrail
09-18-2013, 12:14 AM
Wow, nice bull. I have a leh with my son for 5-13 zone b. Not sure if that's a good area but will find out soon.

paulgug
09-18-2013, 01:15 AM
Great story and nice bull! Good luck this year, sounds like you have some fun hunts coming up. Look forward to reading about them

chilcotin hillbilly
09-18-2013, 06:30 AM
Great story but it sounds like Dad had just as much buck fever!!!!! LOL

Stillhunting
09-18-2013, 07:46 AM
That is a big old bull for that area. Hope he wasn't too tough. There is no way I could have passed on that immy, there is no better meat out there. It's nice to hear about a guy out hunting with his girls, especially when I have two of my own. I sure hope they will be as keen as yours in several years. We took a big bull near the east end of Horsefly Lake many moons ago, but haven't been back in ages so I have no idea what it's like in there these days. Good luck up there.

GoatGuy
09-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Great job, you're doing right by your kids.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-18-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm a sucker for a father/daughter hunt....especially one like this!!:cool:

Congrats to you both!!

SSS

Moe.JKU
09-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Thats a nice bull there. Great story to boot, looks like you'll be enjoying hunting with them for some time. Hoping to get my bull up that way this year.
Cheers.