PDA

View Full Version : Quail Hunting

Gavin
09-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Opening day for Quail (California) on Vancouver Island is quickly approaching, and I'd like to know where I might find this bird? What type of habitat do you typically find them in? I've tried searching online, but most of the info I can find is based on hunting Nevada. Not sure they'll be on the same terrain here. I keep an eye out during my grouse hunts, but haven't seen any.

I typically hunt the 1-5 and 1-6 region of the island, so any sightings around there would be great.

I'd love to bag a couple this year. I've heard they're tasty :)

biggyun68
09-17-2013, 11:38 PM
I see them mostly in grassed fields besides roads from Victoria to Ladysmith: Seriously...
Once again if you can muster up the courage to get a BCWF Outdoor Passport and knock on some doors of folks with Hay fields - I think that is your best bet
If you are looking for some Grouse start exploring the high country as you descend down on to the West Coast: Lots of places on the Island to find yourself alone especially if you get out of the truck and walk some of the old over grown roads

Gavin
09-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the tips! I've knocked on a couple of doors and managed to get permission on a few properties. Mostly treed for hunting deer. I tried finding some fields in the area, but most of the owners already had agreements with the local Fish & Game club.

That being said, I've really enjoyed hiking into the hills. Something about being out of town feels more satisfying. So far my grouse hunting has been productive due to this, which is why I asked about Quail habitat and sightings. At this point, I'd rather go for a long walk than shoot in someones backyard.

Cheers :)

bwarwaruk
09-18-2013, 09:37 AM
I see quail all the time out in Sooke (town proper) walking the dog. They love muching on gravel from the road, and once they see you they high tail it for cover close to the road. In my troppings through the bush in the area, seems to be the same, when I see them. Seems they have figured out what the BT have...they are good to go in town!

Gavin
09-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the info @bwarwaruk. Would you say you see them near roads that are close to fields vs shrubs or trees (coniferous)? Just trying to get an idea of common places so I can start scouting some old backcountry roads. I've only been out to Sooke once or twice, so not terribly familiar with terrain :D

Also, what is BT? Only thing I can think of is "Band-Tailed Pigeon" lol.

blackwater moose
09-18-2013, 12:10 PM
BT is Black Tail

Gavin
09-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Ha ha, cant believe I didnt see that. My mind must be stuck in upland-game mode. :P

Sasquatch
09-18-2013, 09:23 PM
I have seen them on the railroad tracks near Shawnigan Lake. A whole covey of them ran into some bushes...I kicked and prodded those bushes trying to get them to flush, with no success - they stuck like glue in there. When I got on my knees with my cheek to the ground to try and see them in the bushes...they all flew away.

Not sure if they are smart birds...or just smarter than me.

Sure doesn't look like there is much meat on them though, I think you would need a bunch of them to make any kind of a meal.

brian
09-18-2013, 10:02 PM
and I'd like to know where I might find this bird? What type of habitat do you typically find them in?

My back yard. Seriously I almost always see them trundling along when I am working in my shop really early in the morning. As for habitat as far as I can figure it is grass that hasn't been cut as often as it should be bordered by big trees and the odd out building. The chicks are cute little things though. The way they all run after each other reminds me a bit of Benny Hill.

North49
09-18-2013, 10:04 PM
My Dad's back yard in Shawnigan Lake.....they're everywhere.

Gavin
09-19-2013, 09:41 AM
@Sasquatch Thanks! I'll try scouting some of the old railways outside town here. That might be a great area come to think of it, as the heavy brush and grass is regularly cleared. There isn't much meat, you're right. From recipes I've found, most of them call for two per person for a decent meal.

@brian, @North49 Are your properties outside of town? Is there a possibility I could come hunt some Quail on them? Not sure if you're talking farmland or a small backyard. Obviously a small yard wouldn't work. PM me if you like :)

gab
09-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Hello Gavin, Island Timberlands - Northwest Bay Division, west side of the highway - I have seen a number of quail there over the years. Normally, I see them along the roadsides - try walking some of the less frequently used roads. This is the closest place to Nanaimo I can think of where there are generally a number of birds and hunting is legal. You will also likey see rabbits.

Foxton Gundogs
09-19-2013, 05:49 PM
I have seen them on the railroad tracks near Shawnigan Lake. A whole covey of them ran into some bushes...I kicked and prodded those bushes trying to get them to flush, with no success - they stuck like glue in there. When I got on my knees with my cheek to the ground to try and see them in the bushes...they all flew away.

Not sure if they are smart birds...or just smarter than me.

Sure doesn't look like there is much meat on them though, I think you would need a bunch of them to make any kind of a meal.
Gotta love them Spaniels lol

brian
09-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Are your properties outside of town? Is there a possibility I could come hunt some Quail on them? Not sure if you're talking farmland or a small backyard. Obviously a small yard wouldn't work. PM me if you like

Sorry man, no shooting zone.

fyffer
10-08-2013, 06:46 PM
saw a group of 15 plus in sooke yesterday