PDA

View Full Version : Moose Decoy?

steelhead68
09-17-2013, 10:05 AM
I have read a little about moose decoys and that they can draw a moose in. When calling moose sometimes they wont come into range and a decoy will draw them into range.
Thats what I have read. Does anyone use them?

264mag
09-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Just bring a fat friend with a brown jacket and a canoe paddle, trust me I have seen it work.

steelhead68
09-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Cheaper too. Thanks ;-))

Darksith
09-17-2013, 10:51 AM
i have mad 2 paddles outta plywood in an attempt to walk right up to a bull this year. draw starts oct 1, will video and post

Slinky Pickle
09-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Just bring a fat friend with a brown jacket and a canoe paddle, trust me I have seen it work.

I have to use a decoy because I don't have one of those. Sadly, my hunting buddy does though. :icon_frow

rcar
09-17-2013, 11:38 AM
I would think that a moose decoy would really only be useful for a bow hunter. Moose eyesight is quite poor and it is my thought that by the time a moose actually saw a decoy, he would already be well into rifle range.

Sofa King
09-17-2013, 11:55 AM
seen shockey use one, and it definitely worked.
but more importantly, you need to use the wind to your favour.
I think calling and scent work well enough when the moose are feeling randy.

The Hermit
09-17-2013, 12:16 PM
I think decoys can work really well to bring in that reluctant suitor!

Darksith
09-17-2013, 01:18 PM
I have to use a decoy because I don't have one of those. Sadly, my hunting buddy does though. :icon_frow

haha...who said the decoy can't be the shooter! Just watch your back for the one sneakin up behind you.

snowhunter
09-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Moose decoys works.

The CO's use them all the time to catch hunters who $hoots at them.

Darksith
09-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Moose decoys works.

The CO's use them all the time to catch hunters who $hoots at them.
lol, I think you missed the point

Sitkaspruce
09-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Just sold mine.

Used while guiding and it does work, especially in the thicker stuff. Had a few held up bulls come striding up when the decoy came walking by......

I have thought about using a black sheet layed over a log or regen.....

Cheers

SS

Fred1
09-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Black garbage bags. open them up big, tie one corner into an ear... the chit works... hang it in the brush across a meadow or in some willow - spraying with estrus doesn't hurt either.. Call your ass off! As for walking around with a paddle over your head, It can work too... Didn't some whacky biologist in Qubec do this a bunch of years ago and get stomped to death? Someone here must remember that??

albravo2
09-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Reminds me of a joke:
Two buddies were frustrated moose hunters. Year after year hunting diligently with no success. One year a buddy recommends a cow moose decoy costume. One guy in the front of the costume with a call, the other guy in the back of the costume with the rifle.
Out they go, into a meadow adjacent a marsh. The front guy is calling and the rear guy is anxiously waiting. Sure enough, out walks a huge bull moose, visibly keen on mating this previously unknown cow.
Unfortunately, as the rear guy goes to unzip the costume to get into shooting position the zipper jams solidly shut. "Crap" he says, "the zipper's stuck What do I do?"
His friend replies "That does suck. I'm going to put my head down and eat some grass. I suggest you brace yourself."

GoatGuy
09-17-2013, 11:31 PM
the black garbage bag is a great bit of advice.