PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail hunting in grasmere

FatBuck
09-16-2013, 02:54 PM
So I spent all morning hunting on foot in grasmere, but I didn't see any big game, or grouse or hare. Lots of old sign, but nothing resembling fresh sign. I don't get it, last year same spot in November was full of whitetail does. I was hoping to find a buck whitetail today.

Do whitetails go up the mountain like elk and mule deer? I didn't think so, but I'm scratching my head.

I spent my time on the edge of the trees, and walking on hill tops. This hunting method worked for me in the Alberta prairies, but the mountains in BC are throwing me off. I'm wondering if the whitetails move around alot or something else.

russm
09-16-2013, 02:57 PM
If you saw the does there in November maybe it's too early in the season for the spot? Could be a better late season spot if that's when you saw them.

FatBuck
09-16-2013, 03:01 PM
That's what I'm starting to think. Lots of old old scat. Nothing fresh today. I need an experienced hunter to show me the ways of the mountains.

Muliechaser
09-16-2013, 03:55 PM
If in novemer the wt were thwre sounds like its a rutting/wintering ground or perhaps a rest stop on there way. Hit it again in november and u will see them. And yes wt do go up mountains beleive it or not . Its warm still so they in the timber right after first light and out right at last light maybe start with mulies early season and maybe u might find the wt!

Muliechaser
09-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Feed and water arw number 1 right now

ruger#1
09-16-2013, 04:08 PM
If there is any snow. It will push them around. You will also see their tracks. We couldn't find any last year in region 8 until the second day of snow. Then the whities were all over. We also heard a few wolves. That might be why there are not to many in the valleys anymore.

doubled
09-16-2013, 04:19 PM
All deer have migration routes that are dictated in part due to weather. Sounds like you are too early for that spot. I would be willing to bet if you head back there in November you will find what you are looking for with the ladies there.

Koot
09-16-2013, 05:39 PM
stick with it. that area has a ton of whities. I was there this weekend with my dad and it was pretty slow. Lots of deer tracks on the water holes though and some elk as well.

Trapper
09-16-2013, 05:50 PM
lots of whities down that way I almost run one over this morning on my way to the states, just be patient