PDA

View Full Version : Smokers

Moe.JKU
09-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Ok so after some debate I feel the need to get into smoking. I like the idea of the bradleys having the option to walk away and not watch it for a few hours, is there other ones out there for less like that? What would you recommend? I want to keep it around $300 the cheaper the better.

adriaticum
09-16-2013, 12:33 PM
There has been some discussion here about this and some like the Bradley, some like the Chiefs.
I have the chief. You don't have to baby sit it. Generally smoking process lasts about 8 hours and you only use 3-4 pans of chips, the rest is drying time.
You can really put the chips in at any time in the process but I think it's best to do it in the beginning.
Advantage of Bradley is that you can get a cold smoke attachment. That's a big advantage. But on the flipside it is the more expensive solution.
Advantage of Chief is that it's simpler and cheaper to operate. You can find some wood and trim it and use it in the Chief.
Both will to an excellent job.

Mikey Rafiki
09-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Build one out of wood and find an old hot plate for a burner. Soak your chips and they will last several hours.

Quite cheap and custom sized for your needs. Ours can do at least 50lbs of sausage at a time. I've also used a large old refrigerator in the past that worked very well.

adriaticum
09-16-2013, 12:38 PM
On that topic.
This morning's finished smoke.
Get one either way, you won't regret it.

http://www.milojko.com/fishing/borisa_smoke.jpg

IronNoggin
09-16-2013, 12:48 PM
... I've also used a large old refrigerator in the past that worked very well.

Here's my old set up (since passed on to another Member here...):

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/SmokingTuna/Smoker_Set_Up.jpg

Older style fridge (MUST ensure it is GLASS Insulated! Modern Foam insulation leaches FORMALDEHYDE when heated!) for hot smoking. External Centro (Bradley works) as a firebox for Cold Smoking.
Done literally hundreds of pounds of fish, chickens, sausages etc in this unit, and it is still going Strong!

Now have a "new" smoker to set up, based on an older style stainless Hospital Food Cart. 400 pounds on wheels (thankfully!), well insulated, and HUGE Capacity! Will post pix once it has been finished...

Cheers,
Nog

Moe.JKU
09-16-2013, 01:21 PM
So with the chief if i soaked the chips they would last the entire time or would i need to replace switch them out. I'm thinking if i put it on before i got to work, and then take them out after type of idea. I'm rarely at my house for a period long enough to switch them out every 1.5 hours.

Mikey Rafiki
09-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Here's my old set up (since passed on to another Member here...):

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/SmokingTuna/Smoker_Set_Up.jpg

Older style fridge (MUST ensure it is GLASS Insulated! Modern Foam insulation leaches FORMALDEHYDE when heated!) for hot smoking. External Centro (Bradley works) as a firebox for Cold Smoking.
Done literally hundreds of pounds of fish, chickens, sausages etc in this unit, and it is still going Strong!

Now have a "new" smoker to set up, based on an older style stainless Hospital Food Cart. 400 pounds on wheels (thankfully!), well insulated, and HUGE Capacity! Will post pix once it has been finished...

Cheers,
Nog

Now if that smoker could talk :) . Great bypass set up for the cold smoke. I will have to look at rigging one of those up!

I know someone that has picked up a great stainless unit in the lower mainland and converted it to a smoker. Great insulation and nice wheels to move it around. Check auction websites, there are some fantastic deals to be had down there for those types of items if you are interested in converting something for some truly large batches.

Mikey Rafiki
09-16-2013, 01:31 PM
So with the chief if i soaked the chips they would last the entire time or would i need to replace switch them out. I'm thinking if i put it on before i got to work, and then take them out after type of idea. I'm rarely at my house for a period long enough to switch them out every 1.5 hours.

With the small pan and element they probably wouldn't last the whole time. I have a 2 plate burner so one can be dry and one can be soaked, plus the pans are larger. I also cut disks of wood from apple, cherry or alder that burn slowly.

I still use a chief if I have a really small batch. You would have to do 2 or 3 batches of chips early in the am before you leave then keep it on to dry it out. You could set a timer on the cord so it won't get too dry depending on how long you're gone.

adriaticum
09-16-2013, 02:29 PM

A pan on non soaked chips lasts about 45 mins, soaked about 1.5 hrs.
Depending on how smokey you want your fish you will want at least 2-3 pans of soaked chips. They also smoke more.
Also depending on how long you stay at work your fish may be too dry.
It's not a perfect solution if you stay at work for 9-10 hours. That could dry your fish too much.

Maybe start in the evening and change 2-3 pans and go to bed, they should be done by the morning.

russm
09-16-2013, 02:47 PM
I just got a bradley 2 weeks ago and it's the bomb, I've gotten way better results out of it compared to the big chief so far, I totally prefer having the temp control on the Bradley and don't lose close to as much smoke as I was with the Bradley, I picked it up on sale at crappy tire for 299

Jagermeister
09-16-2013, 02:59 PM
I got a Centro from CT a few years ago for $100. It is temp and time controlled and works like a hot damm. I can use regular wood chips instead of those expensive discs.

Moe.JKU
09-16-2013, 03:22 PM
I just got a bradley 2 weeks ago and it's the bomb, I've gotten way better results out of it compared to the big chief so far, I totally prefer having the temp control on the Bradley and don't lose close to as much smoke as I was with the Bradley, I picked it up on sale at crappy tire for 299
That is the one i am looking at for bradley. I will have to check it out. got to get it before my moose trip in Oct for some sausage's. After seeing some recent recipes on here and other sites. looks like i will try that one out

IronNoggin
09-16-2013, 06:20 PM
I got a Centro from CT a few years ago for $100. It is temp and time controlled and works like a hot damm. I can use regular wood chips instead of those expensive discs.

All of which is EXACTLY why I went with that particular unit for my external smoker.
Works Most Excellent as a stand alone Smoker unto itself as well! :wink:

Cheers!
Nog

r106
09-16-2013, 06:33 PM
The only downside to the Bradley is you have to buy the pucks. And IMHO I like the pucks, 20 min a puck so put in however long you want to smoke plus 2 pucks and your done. If your just doing fish then a little or big chief is great. But were the Bradley shines is the versatility fish, sausage, ribs, pork butt, chicken, turkey, brisket and even cold smoked cheese. Now the other smokers can do most of that, but it's so much easier with the Bradley

Jagermeister
09-16-2013, 06:38 PM
All of which is EXACTLY why I went with that particular unit for my external smoker.
Works Most Excellent as a stand alone Smoker unto itself as well! :wink:

Cheers!
NogTry that back rib rub that is in the book. Smokin'awesome.

russm
09-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Pucks aren't that expensive, I bought the variety pack and it cost me $25

Jager
09-16-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm not an expert but I use a bigger pan (more chips/smoke) and a timer (like you would use for your lights while on vacation). Works well for when you figure you only need a few more hours of smoke time and you just want to go to bed.