PDA

View Full Version : Bear hunting the Coquihalla, Exit 228 and up HELP

mr604
09-16-2013, 12:49 AM
I have been up hunting the FSR's off exit 228 and exit 256 on the Coquihalla this week, a full day of scouting and getting familiar with the roads, then a power hunting day where we arrived at 5:30 am and diidn't leave until dark.

All that was achieved was 2 grouse, loads of bear scat and a severly scratched up truck (yes i am shopping for a quad now). Any advice? there seemed to be tons of logging and construction (mainly the powerline towers) but in two full days we saw one group of WT does, grouse and a rabbit.

to add insult to injury when we were back buffing the scratches out of my truck a goddamn 6 ft Black Bear walks into my townhouse complex in Coquitlam. Were we just in the wrong area?

thx

BuckNaked
09-16-2013, 05:20 AM
i think was too hot last week. i was at 4500 feet on Saturday. It was 12 deg at dawn, and 29 deg at noon! It would also seem that most bears would be in the valley bottoms eating berries, fruit and getting ready for salmon. ive seen a few deer lately up there, but no bruins. Just the thoughts of a complete rookie.

doubled
09-16-2013, 05:22 AM
Way too hot. If you had a 100 pound fur coat on in this heat, where would you be?

hare_assassin
09-16-2013, 06:53 AM
Luck.

Yes, the heat puts a big damper on things but luck is much more of a factor.

I wasn't even hunting specifically for bear on Saturday, and two of them walked right out onto the FSR about 70 yards in front of me. It was right in the middle of the day, and about 33c.

You don't want to hear the rest of the story.

Steeleco
09-16-2013, 07:51 AM
Spent the whole day in that area yesterday. Did a dew walks and lots of driving. Didn't see a thing till after dark. Even the fields that hold deer at dusk on a normal day were empty. The gauge on the truck never got below 26deg all day. WAY too hot. Enough of the heat already LOL

BTW, your wasting your time polishing scratches, they'll all be back on the next trip, it adds character anyhow. You should see my truck!!

mr604
09-16-2013, 09:14 AM
lol Steelco i hate to say it but your right, i have polished the clear coat almost right out....time for a quad

And I agree with everyone it was 27 degrees in the afternoon. I am wondering if I should hit the area again when the temps drop, or should i head further north to the Kamloops area, I have been told there are alot of bears in that area

adriaticum
09-16-2013, 09:29 AM
I am told that in areas where there is range cattle there might not be a whole lot of bears as the local farmers will chase/shoot them.

r106
09-16-2013, 09:31 AM
There are bears there. They seem easier to find in the spring. For some reason I see way less bears in the fall. But I agree with the others on the heat Give it a week. You have to remember the Coq gets lots of hunting pressure also.

If the trails small enough thats it's scratching the truck really bad, get out and walk it. I have better luck driving to a over grown road and walking it, then drive to another over grown road and walking it. You will see and hear way more if you get out of the truck

mr604
09-16-2013, 10:37 AM
r106, I hear you, we did walk quite a few trails and found lots of scat but no bears, your right getting out for the walk is always a good idea and good for you.

adriticum, i agree with you and was wondering about all the range cattle as well, but geez every time i hit a FSR i seem to encounter range cattle, where does a guy go?

r106
09-16-2013, 10:47 AM
I believe range cattle doesn't mean anything. There are still bears there. IMO walking makes all the difference especially in a new area. It's the only way to learn the area and whats moving through it.

Keep at it you will see them eventually. Find there food you will find them.

Fella
09-16-2013, 10:51 AM
There are bears there but with all the pressure not to mention the construction that's happening they're pretty spooky.

Steeleco
09-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Don't spook the cows and you won't spook the deer. I my experience bears don't give a damn about cows, they think they're stupid best too!

71_camaro
09-16-2013, 03:40 PM
I was up there in the high alpinne this weekend and saw 4 brown color blackies. No big bucks but bears are eating red color berries. But you'll have to hike tor them. 2 really big ones.I'm not a bear hunter but their bellies were dragging on the ground and fat as hell

303Fan
09-16-2013, 05:04 PM
I spent the last week on Thyne mountain and the fsr that goes up right from Coldwater exit seen 2 Blackies on Thyne and 2 up top of the coldwater one all mid afternoon going like a bat out of hell though.

71_camaro
09-16-2013, 06:08 PM
The ones I saw were moving quite fast as well. They were eating but moving at the same time

Hellfish Hunter
09-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Are you calling, try a fawn bleep, but make sure you have a buddy with you! They can sometimes be right behind a bush.
i shot my first bear this spring, just walked each spur and called, sure enough, bear stood up right in front of me at 300 yards. Bang bear down.
try calling.

cheers hellfish

mr604
09-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Hellfish, yes i had a doe call, and a buddy.....smart guy stupid question is a fawn call different?

Camaro, red berries, i saw a few different varieties, some larger ones on the shrubs right n the FSR's but i wasn't sure it that was whet the bear ate, i was assuming it was a salmon berry that they ate. In the alpine? where they in open clearings like meadows?

thanks to everyone for all the input, discussion leads to better knowledge which is always helpful

bigredchev
09-17-2013, 04:48 AM
if you want a bear find the place thats " SOB theres scat everywhere!" lots of scat, lots of bears.

Theres a lot of blackies up north of hwy 7 hope area.

mr604
09-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Thanks BigRed....i guess you mean north west of 'Haig' and the Lake of the Woods area? American Creek?....i had thought that area would have too many 'Weekend Warriors' so i just assumed north of the snow shed on the Coquihalla would be less active...and i guess 'safer'...lol.......but i think during the week it might be close enough to at least do some scouting of those FSR's

Sofa King
09-17-2013, 08:54 AM
a lot mighty have been due to the heat, but I see bears almost every time I go out, and all through the extreme heat of the summer.
I really don't think a little heat in the middle of the day in September is stopping you from seeing them.
more like the fact that you are hunting the absolute closest exits to the LM, just like how many others from down there.
I can understand if you only have a shortened day to get out, but otherwise, you're limiting your chance at success by hunting so close.

shit, what am I saying.
no, no, it's just the heat.
not seeing anything up here either, really no point in venturing any farther from home.
give it time, you'll find them.

blackwater moose
09-17-2013, 09:17 AM
your truck ain't a truck without some B.C.pinstriping on it.