PDA

View Full Version : Apples are good.....but plums???

Buckmeister
09-15-2013, 01:26 PM
I have some blinds set up in a good white tail spot and have been dropping apples to bring them in. They have been LOVING the apples.

My question is, "Do white tails like plums or not"? The neighbors on either side of me have plum trees and like most fruit trees, it's been a very good year. Both neighbors have more plums then they know what to do with and are looking to get rid of them. I thought about using them as well at the blinds but I don't know.

Anyone have any experience with this?

ncurrie
09-15-2013, 02:02 PM
The deer love my plum trees!

ruger#1
09-15-2013, 02:11 PM
They sure love the leaves on cherry trees also.

Big Lew
09-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Yes deer love both prune and regular plums. I recently was staying in a small town in the Interior that had many local deer. I often took walks along the streets at night and would see deer, both does and bucks, eating plums and apples from backyard trees. This community had a lot of crab apple trees and I noticed that deer readily ate the yellow ones but didn't touch the maroon (dark red) ones even though they were loaded right to the ground.

t-rexer
09-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Umm wouldn't that be considered baiting ?

Marc
09-15-2013, 05:30 PM
You're allowed to bait deer in BC

anotherone
09-15-2013, 07:15 PM
yes deer here in the koots love the plum trees in my buddies yard, and i have also noticed that the deer dont eat those red crab apples as readily.

it never ceases to amaze me how many people hunt and dont know the regs about baiting.

meathead
09-15-2013, 07:20 PM
deer love them any kind of fruit is better than sage or alder deer are rumenents they like plants that taste good . why do most big bucks live within city limits. good eats and dont get killed

Buckmeister
09-17-2013, 07:56 AM

Oh yes, most definitively. That's what I'm trying to do, bait deer, because it is a legal and acceptable and proven method for attracting deer. Now bear on the other hand is a different story, most certainly illegal. But I'm only hunting deer.

FatBuck
09-17-2013, 08:47 AM
I had no idea that baiting deer is legal here. Is that in the regs somewhere, or it's just not specifically prohibited?

Fella
09-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Given the thread about deer rummaging through gut piles, you should also lay out some prime rib or some good thick sirloin. I hear they go crazy for a juicy steak!

Ron.C
09-17-2013, 09:28 AM
I had no idea that baiting deer is legal here. Is that in the regs somewhere, or it's just not specifically prohibited?

just not specifically identified as to what is legal to bait "like deer". But it is clear on what is not legal to bait.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1214/docs/hunting_trapping_front.pdf

ref:
para 19 on page 14
note 6 on page 16.
para 20 on page 18.
para 36 on page 18.

winbuckhunter
09-18-2013, 04:53 PM

baiting deer is legal in British Columbia

BearStump
09-18-2013, 05:38 PM

yes, and if you let the apples and plums rot and forment they will create alcohol to get the deer drunk. That would be "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" Unless of course the deer is over 19. And the CO's will lock you up and throw away the key for that one.