PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing morning

j270wsm
09-15-2013, 10:44 AM
This summer was spent trying to locate elk for my son, dad and for a friends son. All the hard work paid off when my son got his first elk on sept 11. So now it's time to help Jason's son get his first elk. Last night while out looking for fresh elk sign I found a bull up in a slide and with only one road into the area things were looking pretty good.
Morning comes and we head into the area I seen the bull, on the way in we see tire tracks but aren't sure if there today's or from last night. After driving for a bit further we run into a truck leaving the area, Unsure of how many people were in the truck we keep going to where we plan to leave the truck.
After parking the truck, loading up and reminding 2 kids( 10 & 11 ) to be as quiet as possible, we start hiking up the trail into the slide. After hiking 1/2 way to out destination we hear a vehicle drive by the bottom of the slide. 10-15min later we were where we needed to be, hoping the bull was close by, we set up and started calling. After about 10min we started hearing something moving up through the middle of the slide, assuming it was an elk we turned toward the sound and got set up to shoot. With 2 eager kids waiting and watching for elk we kept cow calling, hoping for a bull to show up any second when gabe ( Jason's son ) says " dad there's something right there". We start looking but don't see what he's looking at, after moving around a little Jason pulls his bino's up and ways WTF.......there's a guy walking up the middle of the slide.

I slowly walk out to the edge of the slide and cow called, he kept walking, so I whistled at him. He turned and looked directly at me, I lifted my arms up to say" WTF" and all he could say was "they went that way" as he pointed south.

Needless to say we were pissed. There is only one road into the area and it ends where our truck was parked. We don't know where he came from, he had to be dropped off unless he hiked up from the valley bottom( highly unlikely ). Our truck was parked in plain sight 150yds from the trail into the slide so he had to have seen it.
I understand that I hunt on crown land and that anyone can hunt there, but why would you choose to hike up a slide that someone is already parked at??????

really annoyed at someone's ignorance.......SORRY for the rant.

Trekker
09-15-2013, 10:50 AM
maybe he was dropped off there first and you guys messed his hunt up?

j270wsm
09-15-2013, 10:55 AM
how did we walk up the trail and not see his tracks, and then get in front of him. I'd think he would have tried to get our attention if we walked past him.
Only thing we could figure was he got dropped off.

Warlite
09-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Unfortunately this kind of thing happens all the time. Have had it happen to myself a few times, really frustrating but what can you do?

I just try harder to find areas where there is less of a chance of this happening.

Barracuda
09-15-2013, 10:58 AM
not sure what your ticked off at? almost sounds like you spoil his hunt? was he already dropped off? im a bit confused? by the sounds of it he wasn't ticked at you for spoiling his public land hunt.

j270wsm
09-15-2013, 11:34 AM
We might have accidentally spoiled his hunt. The 2 guys in the truck we seen were wearing street clothes and the other guy was decked out in camo, so I'm pretty sure they didn't drop him off. It seems to be too much of a coincidence that we hear a truck and 10min later he shows up in the middle of the slide.
i never said I was pissed at him, just don't understand why or how people can intentionally hunt on top of other people.

doubled
09-15-2013, 11:41 AM
not sure what your ticked off at? almost sounds like you spoil his hunt? was he already dropped off? im a bit confused? by the sounds of it he wasn't ticked at you for spoiling his public land hunt.

X 2 Not sure what the issue is here???

Big Lew
09-15-2013, 11:51 AM
We might have accidentally spoiled his hunt. The 2 guys in the truck we seen were wearing street clothes and the other guy was decked out in camo, so I'm pretty sure they didn't drop him off. It seems to be too much of a coincidence that we hear a truck and 10min later he shows up in the middle of the slide.
i never said I was pissed at him, just don't understand why or how people can intentionally hunt on top of other people.

Sadly, this sort of situation is much more common now-a-days with the higher numbers of hunters, especially with many using 4x4s and atvs. It's getting harder to 'get away from the crowds'. I try to hunt areas others either overlook, don't go into because of the perceived low success rate, or aren't willing to hike into, just for that reason. Probably is part of the reason my success rate has dropped the last couple of years, but that's alright....I prefer not running into anyone at all.

ncurrie
09-15-2013, 12:05 PM
I understand your frustration. My cousin dropped me off at on rd parked his truck there and I walked up. Walk into this beautiful meadow sit for a bit relax nothing new I had to get back to truck before dad and cousin come looking for me and I slowly make my way back and I scared the shit out if two guys walking up the rd. they both looked at me and said "sorry we didn't think anyone was up here" and I looked at them and said what was your first clue the white pick up blocking the rd? Some people just don't care or think that someone is obviously in that area and hunt it anyhow. That is how peoe get hurt.

Spokerider
09-15-2013, 12:15 PM
I often "hike up" from valley bottoms, and often hike "off trail". I'm sure I'm not the only one that does this......

When hunting public land, never *assume* that you are alone. If you know that your are in a promising hunting spot, then others likely do also.

BearStump
09-15-2013, 12:28 PM
It happens.
I was hunting reg. 3 once and at 7 am, first light I was glassing a timber patch that I thought might be holding some deer. I couldnt believe my eyes(or my bino's for that matter) when I spotted a guy in full camo with the balclava and the whole nine yards squatting down right in the middle of the patch of trees waiting for a buck. It was so strange to me to see that because we were camped at the entrance to the area for days and nobody had been coming in our out of the area. I had to really look for a long time to confirm that it indeed was another hunter. Still dont know where he came from or where he had hiked in from. he was just THERE. oh well, just gave him a wave and moved on find another spot.
This being said; I'm sure the story is different coming from his perspective. Maybe he would have a story about his 2 day hike in to an area where he sets up before first light and then he spots me sitting on my tailgate glassing in HIS spot.

j270wsm
09-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Growing up here and knowing the area extremely well helps me find animals. The spot I'm talking about can only be seen from a few small spots along the opposite side of the valley. Due to his comment about the elk going south he had to have seen them from the other side of the valley- there is a row of trees that would have blocked his view from the bottom of the slide

Big Lew
09-15-2013, 12:59 PM
"I had to really look for a long time to confirm that it indeed was another hunter. Still dont know where he came from or where he had hiked in from. I'm sure the story is different coming from his perspective."

I've hiked in from the other side of a certain mountain before daylight several times in order to be at the top of a slash with the breezes in my favour. I'm sure the road hunters that were able to see me also thought the same.

sthdslayer
09-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Yes it can be annoying , however it is the price we pay to have so much public land to hunt on. I just hope you used this as a postive lesson for the boys. Give the fellow a wave wish him a good hunt and on the way out calmly let them know what you would have done different and not a rant. Kids are impressionable and as mentors we need to be concious of this at all times. I'm sure if you have hunted a lot you have bumped into someone elses hunt. Just reading the posts on trailcams set in secret spots that catch pictures of other hunters shows you there are no secret spots. Also you assumed that someone would know the area as well as you. People from out of town wouldn't necessarliy know which way you went from the truck. In a lot of areas if you leave because a truck is there you aren' hunting. Its part of life thats why we have plan b,c,d ect.

Ry151
09-15-2013, 01:28 PM
I understand your frustration. My cousin dropped me off at on rd parked his truck there and I walked up. Walk into this beautiful meadow sit for a bit relax nothing new I had to get back to truck before dad and cousin come looking for me and I slowly make my way back and I scared the shit out if two guys walking up the rd. they both looked at me and said "sorry we didn't think anyone was up here" and I looked at them and said what was your first clue the white pick up blocking the rd? Some people just don't care or think that someone is obviously in that area and hunt it anyhow. That is how peoe get hurt.
Why would you park your truck blocking the road? Few years back ran into a guy that had done this and was quite upset when the logging crew pushed his truck into the ditch with a skidder so the rest of the crew could get into the block. I don't get this mentality on public land. I'm not going to leave an area I've hunted for years just because someone else got there 10 minutes before me but I will also try to avoid them so we can both hunt the area with no issues. If you want land to yourself talk to farmers or buck up and buy land. I've had more hunters that are trespassing ruin hunts on private land than public land

stugatz
09-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Why would you park your truck blocking the road? Few years back ran into a guy that had done this and was quite upset when the logging crew pushed his truck into the ditch with a skidder so the rest of the crew could get into the block. I don't get this mentality on public land. I'm not going to leave an area I've hunted for years just because someone else got there 10 minutes before me but I will also try to avoid them so we can both hunt the area with no issues. If you want land to yourself talk to farmers or buck up and buy land. I've had more hunters that are trespassing ruin hunts on private land than public land

x2 on that....

Gateholio
09-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Last week we parked the vehicle and started walking down the only access road to hunt a cut block. Some inconsiderate fellow drives right up behind us and tells us he is going in anyway. Not much you can do. He shot a small elk, too- proof that karma doesn't always work the way it's supposed to. :)

ncurrie
09-15-2013, 01:55 PM
It was a old deactivated rd that you could only walk or drive a quad and had a huge log blocking the whole thing. We parked the truck in front of the log. We would never block a public rd and stop others from using it! No one was going up the rd unless you cut up the log that was put up there. What I am getting at is if I see a vehicle any where near a spot I head the complete opposite direction as one I don't want ruin someone's hunt and 2 why would you out yourself at risk like that.

Dannybuoy
09-15-2013, 02:08 PM
It was a old deactivated rd that you could only walk or drive a quad and had a huge log blocking the whole thing. We parked the truck in front of the log. We would never block a public rd and stop others from using it! No one was going up the rd unless you cut up the log that was put up there. What I am getting at is if I see a vehicle any where near a spot I head the complete opposite direction as one I don't want ruin someone's hunt and 2 why would you out yourself at risk like that.

Those of us with common sense got that ncurrie !:) you know someone always has to pick ....

Darksith
09-15-2013, 02:19 PM
some peoples children hey? At least he told you which way they went.

Dannybuoy
09-15-2013, 02:20 PM
some peoples children hey? At least he told you which way they went.

That's the spirit ! Looking at the upside !

Darksith
09-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Last week we parked the vehicle and started walking down the only access road to hunt a cut block. Some inconsiderate fellow drives right up behind us and tells us he is going in anyway. Not much you can do. He shot a small elk, too- proof that karma doesn't always work the way it's supposed to. :)

Nope, last year opening day of immy moose season, we beat buddy to a spot, he drives up behind a friend walking a road, he is pretty disapointed obviously that someone is ahead of him, and its a dead end except for 300m of road to the left. Get gets out, takes a piss, then gets back in his truck, drives around the corner down the 300m of road and bang, drops an immy! He went from morning ruined to so stoked in the blink of an eye...thats hunting

ruger#1
09-15-2013, 02:45 PM
I have had animals walk out after someone has driven past me. NO big deal they missed the animal. But I didn't.

kgs
09-15-2013, 03:04 PM
A few years back me and a buddy are sitting at the end of a cut block and his vehicle was parked at the entrance. We are in a blind you could not miss it. we had been there since 5:30 am and at about 8 or so I happen to look to my right and not 50 yards away I see this guy in complete camo standing parallel to the blind he looks at me and smiles. I point him out to my buddy and man did he get a talking too. We were upset only because he could not have missed us and still choose to disturb us and possibly the hunt. My buddy was so upset we had to leave he felt very disrespected by this guy and his flippant attitude that he did nothing wrong. Yes he has a right to hunt but its just plain wrong to ruin someone else's hunt. My solution to the problem was to create a sign stating that there we hunters in a blind or in the block. Another solution is when you see another vehicle coming out of an area you are going in flag it down and have a conversation with them it amazes me how much hunters like to talk. So far all hunters have respected that and I appreciate that and return the favor when ever I can. The reality is that there is so many hunters out there and the competition is fierce. You will always find some idot out there that feels the rule of good sportsmanship does not apply to them. Have a great hunting season and be safe everyone.

j270wsm
09-15-2013, 03:43 PM
My issue wasnt that he was hunting the same slide as us, it was the fact that he walked right up the middle of it. I'm going to assume he knew someone was in the area. Even if he hiked in from the lower road he had to have seen a white truck parked on the side of the road.

I did walk in on someone one time. They parked at the start of a different trail than we took. When we got close to the blind and realized there were people in it, we continued into the blind. We apologized and stuck around instead of risking further ruining their hunt. Had the bull that came in been a 6pt we told them we'd help pack it out

HarryToolips
09-15-2013, 03:55 PM
By the sounds of it chances are you were there first, therefore ya he shoulda found another area..sure it's public land and he can sit right beside ya if he really wanted to, but he should have gone somewhere else..common courtesy ain't so common..

leadpillproductions
09-15-2013, 04:10 PM
I had the same thing happen to me last year. hiked up in the dark only to have a guy drive past my truck then me hr latter up quad trail. But I did shoot a elk 150 yrd from truck that morning lol.

Darksith
09-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Good rant, but lets not let this thread get stupid. Everyone has a story about them being in a spot or something and someone else showing up. hell, I was sitting a pond one day, sat it all day, last hour of the day all of a sudden WT's started to appear, then an elk, then another elk, pretty soon most of the elk heard was at the pond, but not the big boy we were looking for. We were sure he was gonna come out though. Then all of a sudden all the animals scatter, and we start to hear a atv coming in. The guys blow past us, wave but don't even slow down. We were pissed, as anyone would be, but we decided to try and salvage the last few minutes of the last day of our so far unsuccessful hunt. We ended up running into a small white tail buck. Was my first ever white tail and only my 2nd deer ever. Who knows if something legal would of showed up to the pond, but in the end we ended up harvesting something at the last minute. Point of the story is, we are all gonna run into other peeps, don't let it get ya down too much, cause you never know if something was actually gonna show, and you never know whats around the next corner. Always remember that if you end up being "that guy" have the decency to talk to the guys that you bumped into, say hello, maybe even say sorry if you didn't know they were there, or you would be made if the roles were reversed. It will help the other group move on, and its big of you to do so. Its a free country out there, sometimes things that seem obvious aren't. Good rant J270wsm, Im glad you got it off your chest. Lets leave it at that cause its gonna happen again, and again, and again. Some have different techniques than others

paulgug
09-15-2013, 05:41 PM

That would really grind my gears. I have had similar encounters where a partner and i have parked a good distance from the cut block in order to walk in quietly before first light, and just when it's getting to prime time, some truck will drive right up behind us, and even though they clearly know what we're doing they just play dumb and drive by. Now our hunt is pretty well over before it started. Time for plan B, although we have now wasted a good portion of the morning...

vikinghunter
09-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Must happen to everyone, this morning im driving my quad on a main fsr 1km in from the paved road trying to get to the area i like to hunt, i have my lights on and going pretty quick when I have to slam the brakes on to avoid a collision with 2 twenty something punks in a sidekick, no lights on and doing 15km hr. Did I mention it was pitch black out!
They wouldnt move over for me, instead swerved from side to side not letting me by? Then when i try to quickly get by they speed up shootin rocks at me. Im getting pretty pissed at this point and im not quite as nice as most of you.
I stop, take my ammo out and decide if their not going to let me hunt then there wont be any animals around for them to hunt bang, bang. I drive a little more and same thing, so again bang, bang. Their not very happy now, but oh well!
I end up following them to what i know is a dead end to confront them and they tell me that they were first in and no one was going to get by, i told them its a 2 lane road and there are at least 50 branches off of it. They had no excuse.
I told them I would follow them and make their day worthless! As now light is cresting and my morning got ****

I didnt trust these two young men as they took off in a hurry back in the direction where my vehicle and trailer were parked, i had the quad pinned as I got around the corner to see my truck these two were pulling in beside it, ready to do what I will never know, they took off in a hurry when they saw me. I wasnt going to rant but I guess it was just one of those Sundays!

Avalanche123
09-15-2013, 07:14 PM
Must happen to everyone, this morning im driving my quad on a main fsr 1km in from the paved road trying to get to the area i like to hunt, i have my lights on and going pretty quick when I have to slam the brakes on to avoid a collision with 2 twenty something punks in a sidekick, no lights on and doing 15km hr. Did I mention it was pitch black out!
They wouldnt move over for me, instead swerved from side to side not letting me by? Then when i try to quickly get by they speed up shootin rocks at me. Im getting pretty pissed at this point and im not quite as nice as most of you.
I stop, take my ammo out and decide if their not going to let me hunt then there wont be any animals around for them to hunt bang, bang. I drive a little more and same thing, so again bang, bang. Their not very happy now, but oh well!
I end up following them to what i know is a dead end to confront them and they tell me that they were first in and no one was going to get by, i told them its a 2 lane road and there are at least 50 branches off of it. They had no excuse.
I told them I would follow them and make their day worthless! As now light is cresting and my morning got ****

I didnt trust these two young men as they took off in a hurry back in the direction where my vehicle and trailer were parked, i had the quad pinned as I got around the corner to see my truck these two were pulling in beside it, ready to do what I will never know, they took off in a hurry when they saw me. I wasnt going to rant but I guess it was just one of those Sundays!

Wow....Wow.... the actions of the three of you is quite sad really,,, :( Instead of "road rage" it's "hunter rage"