PDA

View Full Version : Going to Rock Creek in Mid October! Can't Wait.

VanIslandGuy
09-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Good Day Fellow Hunters. Going to Rock Creek/Christian Valley for a week in Mid October. Any suggestions on a good place to set up camp? Also, how's the hunting been this year so far? I hunted the Christian Valley approx. 5-6 years back and there was plenty whiteys, but not that many bucks. Any info that would increase our odds would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

fozzy
09-15-2013, 12:02 AM
It's been my experience that early in the season in RC there arent too many White tail bucks around. If I were you and you are able to, postpone your trip to the end of the season.. Nov 20-30

VanIslandGuy
09-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Thanks. Would like to postpone if I could but only have holidays from work in October. I'm sure we'll find some wildlife, hopefully some of the shootable type.

t-rexer
09-15-2013, 08:11 AM
I'm heading up as well and have heard the same thing from some old seasoned hunters to that area. But that's the only time I have as well. But Millie's are open as is whitetail doe so I'm sure well come back with something! Almost everythibg is open when I'm planing my trip I think it would be sweet to eat a wild turkey on thanksgiving Well see now she goes. Good luck to you

Sasquatch
09-15-2013, 09:06 AM
When I was there in Oct, the rec sites in the valley near the river were really busy. I drove a few miles into the hills and camped on a small lake, had the whole place to myself. Prolly just a matter of what appeals to you.

Good luck, hope you get something.

VanIslandGuy
09-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Thanks Guys and Good Luck T-rexer! Did you do any fishing at the little lake Sasquatch? If so, any luck fishing or hunting?

natebavis
09-16-2013, 12:54 AM
taurus lake is a good camp spot

Sasquatch
09-16-2013, 09:23 AM
taurus lake is a good camp spot

I was trying to remember the name of the lake and that might have been it. There is another small lake close by that also had a decent rec site.

Yes, there are fish in both lakes and Oct is a good time to put a couple in the frypan. A float tube or small boat wouldn't hurt your chances.

We did pretty good as far as the hunting went, nothing to brag about but there are plenty of animals there. Shot some grouse over the dog too, and even saw a few quail on public land as we headed out of the valley up the hill.

rustynuggets
09-17-2013, 02:23 PM
we just got back from an early whitetail hunt (camping trip)
the heat i think really kept them in the tree's.
i only saw three the first day i was there (doe and two fawns)
lots of mulies though,big bull moose and called in a smaller 5point elk
we were camped near the 80km marker on the river

hiking in to the trees saw lots of tracks and signs of deer but it was really quit there for the most part, we came same time last year and saw far more whitetails

ruger#1
09-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Good Day Fellow Hunters. Going to Rock Creek/Christian Valley for a week in Mid October. Any suggestions on a good place to set up camp? Also, how's the hunting been this year so far? I hunted the Christian Valley approx. 5-6 years back and there was plenty whiteys, but not that many bucks. Any info that would increase our odds would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!
Snow is your freind.

NEEHAMA
09-17-2013, 02:54 PM
rusty nuggets you nerr seen any whities cuz you drive around and fart in your jeep too much

rustynuggets
09-17-2013, 03:49 PM
lol this is true

139grainsofhell
09-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Better wear hi viz been going there for years but stopped got tired of hunting with the hundreds and after having three different hunters look at me thru Thier scopes while I was walking I decided to quit hunting that valley. Used to be lots of deer but now you really got to work for them . There prob still a few big Muleys left up the fourth if your willing to go in after them. As you stated 5- 6 years ago it was good