PDA

View Full Version : First Bow Kill

flyhigh_206
09-13-2013, 12:12 AM
Well it finally happened I managed to drop a nice little buck with my bow after quite the ordeal last weekend. So it started out awesome spot and stalked a couple of small bucks and never got the chance to let one fly no big deal I wasn't to worried well on the way down the hill is when things got interesting, as me and my buddy were heading down ran into a guy and his son out for youth season so we let them know there were a few deer hanging around up top (one of my bad habits always giving up my info to help out the kids lol) anyways we kept on heading down and ran into another guy and his son and let them know that someone else was just ahead of them and we continued on our way, then just around the next bend in the road I spotted a nice little 2 point so I jumped out of the truck to take a look when I noticed the guy I just talked to pulled up behind me so I walked up and offered his son the deer if they wanted it since he was a junior anyways they passed on it looking for something bigger so I tell them alright ill go after it with the bow. Well that's when the s**t hit the fan, I made the absolute worst shot of my life im talking horrible 25 yards completely broadside and not a care in the world, I don't know whether I flinched or the arrow hit something that I didn't see but it was horrible but it still hit the deer in a very non lethal way and of course I feel like a complete clown do this infront of a complete stranger and his son. So I end up going after a wounded deer that has absolutely no blood trail for the next 2 hours through soaking wet waist high undergrowth and blow down but I finally got within 30 yards and this time im extremely excited to say it was good I put that 4-blade muzzy right in the boiler room and he only made it about 5 yards before it was over. I must say im absolutely impressed with the amount of damage a broadhead does to the internal organs of a deer and im even more happy to say I was able to stay on that deer and tag it. So if the gentleman that witnessed my first horrible shot I hope you are a member so that you can see this and possibly let your son know that no matter what your first shot does you don't just give up on a wounded animal. Then just for a little good karma the first father/son group I mentioned was able to nail a beauty 3 pointer for his sons first kill congrats to them as well and im glad I came off the hill after you to save your stranded asses :mrgreen: and hope ya'll got your rig off the hill the next day lol

The Hermit
09-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Good for you for persevering and chasing down the deer! Well done!

Sofa King
09-13-2013, 01:53 AM
congrats on a bow-buck and for working hard at him.
good on ya for helping them out also.

coach
09-13-2013, 02:34 AM
wow congrats on a successful hunt sounds like quite an exciting experience good on you for persevering did you take any pics to share

Philcott
09-13-2013, 06:38 AM
Hell of a day on the hill. Nice you found your deer and helped some fellow hunters too.

pnbrock
09-13-2013, 07:04 AM
never happened without pics!!!

Spy
09-13-2013, 07:05 AM
Great story & congrats on your success. :-).

avadad
09-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Way to go! Good on you for keeping on the wounded dear and for helping out a youth hunter.

flyhigh_206
09-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Lol ive got pictures but by the time i got back to the truck it was really dark and the didnt turn out very well all you basically see is the eyes glowing in the flash

HarryToolips
09-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Congrats perseverance pays off eh

redthorn
09-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Very Nice. I have a lot more respect for a guy that ACCIDENTALLY wounds, yet perseveres and tracks down to finish an animal, than for some roadhunter with a massive buck he just jumped out of the truck and blew away at 200 yds.

Stuff can go wrong so easily, and it really sucks to not get the hit you wanted. But that doesn't excuse anyone from properly following through. Very admirable.

Now hang him high and cool for a week to get the taste of adrenaline out of him. ;)

flyhigh_206
09-23-2013, 11:37 PM
Well thanks for all the comments guys i have to say again it was probably the most amazing feelings ive ever experienced to have that first kill with the bow, and red horn as far as the adrenalin i think im the one that needed to be hung up for a week lol it still seems so surreal

Darksith
09-24-2013, 10:24 AM
way to stick with it. That was mighty big of you, and I bet it made you feel so much better about the situation. Congrats on the harvest, even if it didn't go exactly as planned. Thanks for sharing.